View Full Version : What color should I paint my plane... poll

Matthew N. Masail
06-29-2014, 12:17 PM
Since I see any good paint will work, :) the gloss options are:

Ivory
Black
Grass Green (fairly dark)
Deep blue

Tote and knob on very dark chocolate brown with a slightly reddish hue, other parts are brass. blade will be a tsunebauro blue steel same thickness as a standard iron.

This is pure Tool fun.

steven c newman
06-29-2014, 12:45 PM
One other option, as used by a line of planes from Ohio Tool Co. They had a Crimsom colour on theirs.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
06-29-2014, 12:47 PM
I always thought the blue of old Record planes, and the British Racing Green of Clifton's looked pretty nifty.

The Ivory could be pretty cool and kind of unique.

Cody Kemble
06-29-2014, 2:15 PM
I think the ivory would be really neat. Every time you look at it you will be reminded of the work you put into it to make it a great tool.

Winton Applegate
06-29-2014, 2:17 PM
As long as you don't paint it Oh Behave pink.
That was ***FABULOUS*** for a while . . . I suppose . . . for all those young cool guys but I think the fad has about run it's course . . . at least around here.

:)

Joe Tilson
06-29-2014, 2:28 PM
I like all the colors you have chosen above. You will get all kind of opinion here, but just go with your heart and what you like. You will be much happier.

Matthew N. Masail
06-29-2014, 3:08 PM
leaning towards Ivory.... :) the more I think about it the cooler\nicer I think it'll be. will just wait to get a frog to match.

Crimson is nice too IF it's a good shade, but I don't think I can get that easily.

David Weaver
06-29-2014, 3:30 PM
Go for blue. Someone gave me a record plane years ago and I stripped the blue and painted it black. If you paint a black plane blue, it'll all even out!

Winton Applegate
06-29-2014, 3:43 PM
I didn’t mean to seem un interested, or un helpful

Here are a few things to take into account when making any long term life changing choice, as this one most certainly is. At least these are a few of the things that Queenmasteroftheuniverseandbabybunnytrainer and I take into account before making ANY decision :

Do keep in mind that the planet Mercury is still in retrograde (http://www.almanac.com/content/mercury-retrograde) and will be for the next week or so (“or so” is taking into account the time it spends in transition until it goes direct again).
What is your dosha (http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-1117/Ayurveda-Dosha-Types-for-Beginners.html) ? How does this relate to your temperament and health requirements from a woodworking perspective.
The opposite color, which your brain unconsciously “fills in” (http://www.moillusions.com/disappearing-dots/)to balance the color your eye is perceiving taking into account the light source. See bullet point “Light Source”.
Light Source (http://www.psycheducation.org/depression/LightTherapy.htm#evidence) and how it makes the color you choose APEAR to look: Natural sun light ? Artificial lighting at night. You ARE using full spectrum bulbs? Of course you are. Stupid question but I had to ask it.
Effect of the color on your most frequent visitors (http://www.ofazomi.org/blog/2010/04/17/why-were-mental-institution-walls-painted-green/). We don’t want the plane setting the boarder line psychotics off on a wild and frenzied killing or burning spree. See institutional paint color choices.
The auditory properties of the name of the paint for those future video spots as well as in print articles. For instance “Titanium” white is IN and hip. “Lead” white is practically the equivalent of calling in the hazmat and cordoning off your shop as a super fund hazardous waste vortex of death. “Turbo (http://www.gillette.com/en/us/Products/Razors/mach3-turbo/mach3-turbo.aspx)” is way cool if you find a color that incorporates that in it’s name. Probably will have a rearing horse or shield shaped symbol on the can.
Finally what color is your mother in law going to nay say the least ? See above bullet "institutional paint color choices".

Judson Green
06-29-2014, 3:45 PM
Why stop at one color? Pinstripes, rainbow, camouflage or maybe the frog one color and the body something else, how about that iridescent paint?

Tony Zaffuto
06-29-2014, 4:04 PM
I would go for Clifton green or Record blue. I would also polish the hail out of the edges to give a nice, almost chrome-like highlight to the edges! Top it off with your choice of cherry for tote & knob or go opposite in wood color to a dark rosewood. Polish the cap to almost chrome-like.

Matthew N. Masail
06-29-2014, 4:04 PM
Go for blue. Someone gave me a record plane years ago and I stripped the blue and painted it black. If you paint a black plane blue, it'll all even out!

Lol Well at least your honest about your motiv, I mean, you obviously don't like the blue....

Moses Yoder
06-29-2014, 4:18 PM
I would strip the paint off and wet the body good then leave it set outside for a week or so. After it is adequately rusted, clear coat. I started a thread recently on how to make something rust, there is a lot of good info there if you decide to go this route.

Winton Applegate
06-29-2014, 5:00 PM
Why stop at one color? Pinstripes, rainbow, camouflage or maybe the frog one color and the body something else, how about that iridescent paint?

Glow in the dark . . .
could start a whole new sect of Intuitive woodworking. Leave the lights off and see where it takes you.

I stripped the blue and painted it black. If you paint a black plane blue, it'll all even out!

You have just taken the whole fill in the missing color for balance thing to a whole 'nother galaxy. It is just this kind of thinking that is going to get us to a permanent maned (and womaned) Mars settlement first.

Jim Matthews
06-29-2014, 5:09 PM
If the shop lighting is low, or uneven - brighter colors make misplaced items easier to find.

I like British racing green, myself.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
06-29-2014, 5:42 PM
I like British racing green, myself.

It's one of the redeeming values of my Clifton jointer.

. . . I mean . . . anyone want to trade their woodie jointer (or LN) for something with more heft, and a less comfortable handle? I'll even throw in a frustrating chip breaker!

george wilson
06-29-2014, 10:22 PM
Very witty,Winton!! Mathematics maketh a man witte.

I wouldn't paint it ivory. It will soon look dirty. Do something darker(which most other colors are anyway).

steven c newman
06-29-2014, 10:30 PM
in regards to it's "Duty Station", overall a white "field" with the lever cap Blue. Mind remind some of a flag.....

David Weaver
06-29-2014, 10:45 PM
Lol Well at least your honest about your motiv, I mean, you obviously don't like the blue....

Well, it had more to do with cheapness. I had some black cans of enamel left from the obligatory phase of repairing old planes, and no blue.

I was going to give the plane back to someone who didn't care about the color (it was his father's), but he didn't want it back so I still have it. It has a stanley lever cap, anyway, and replacement wood so it hardly matters at this point!

Shawn Pixley
06-29-2014, 11:29 PM
Being of scottish origin, I'll lobby for plaid.

on the more serious note, I would actually go with basic black.

Jim Koepke
06-30-2014, 1:10 AM
I usually stick with black.

Of the colors on the list my vote is for ivory. Have seen old cast iron with ivory japanning that looks great.

It is really up to you.

Do you want to make all of your planes the same? Making yours unique is great if you work in a shop with others.

jtk

Chris Parks
06-30-2014, 4:14 AM
Metal flake red:eek:
Ferrari yellow is nice with black highlights
BRG & Red highlights

Derek Cohen
06-30-2014, 5:09 AM
Passion pink was one of the early runners for me as well.

I've always fancied this little number ...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Other/Santaplane.jpg

Of course, it cannot be used more than once a year :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tony Zaffuto
06-30-2014, 5:16 AM
Derek wins the prize!

Maybe a whole new tool related industry will be born: Plane skins to change the look per the seasons and holidays?

Jim Matthews
06-30-2014, 7:46 AM
Passion pink was one of the early runners for me as well.

I've always fancied this little number ...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Other/Santaplane.jpg

Of course, it cannot be used more than once a year :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Let me guess, the same store that has them stuck to the wall as a coat rack?
This sort of thing makes me wonder if walls are in short supply where
such Kottage Kitsch is made...

Matthew N. Masail
06-30-2014, 8:39 AM
LOL this whole thread is hilarious.... Still leaning towards Ivory, I'm not trying to get it to match anything except a balanced look within itself. I ordered the frog today, with shipping 36$! yiakes!! I knew I should have just been patient with hand lapping. . ..

George, why would Ivory look dirty? it's gloss solid paint, should wipe clean with a baby wipe no?

Matthew N. Masail
06-30-2014, 8:52 AM
I would strip the paint off and wet the body good then leave it set outside for a week or so. After it is adequately rusted, clear coat. I started a thread recently on how to make something rust, there is a lot of good info there if you decide to go this route.

Moses, could you provide a picture of how that might look? would the rust stop under the clear coat? I might go far somthing like that..

Harold Burrell
06-30-2014, 9:02 AM
I didn’t mean to seem un interested, or un helpful

Here are a few things to take into account when making any long term life changing choice, as this one most certainly is. At least these are a few of the things that Queenmasteroftheuniverseandbabybunnytrainer and I take into account before making ANY decision :

Do keep in mind that the planet Mercury is still in retrograde (http://www.almanac.com/content/mercury-retrograde) and will be for the next week or so (“or so” is taking into account the time it spends in transition until it goes direct again).
What is your dosha (http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-1117/Ayurveda-Dosha-Types-for-Beginners.html) ? How does this relate to your temperament and health requirements from a woodworking perspective.
The opposite color, which your brain unconsciously “fills in” (http://www.moillusions.com/disappearing-dots/)to balance the color your eye is perceiving taking into account the light source. See bullet point “Light Source”.
Light Source (http://www.psycheducation.org/depression/LightTherapy.htm#evidence) and how it makes the color you choose APEAR to look: Natural sun light ? Artificial lighting at night. You ARE using full spectrum bulbs? Of course you are. Stupid question but I had to ask it.
Effect of the color on your most frequent visitors (http://www.ofazomi.org/blog/2010/04/17/why-were-mental-institution-walls-painted-green/). We don’t want the plane setting the boarder line psychotics off on a wild and frenzied killing or burning spree. See institutional paint color choices.
The auditory properties of the name of the paint for those future video spots as well as in print articles. For instance “Titanium” white is IN and hip. “Lead” white is practically the equivalent of calling in the hazmat and cordoning off your shop as a super fund hazardous waste vortex of death. “Turbo (http://www.gillette.com/en/us/Products/Razors/mach3-turbo/mach3-turbo.aspx)” is way cool if you find a color that incorporates that in it’s name. Probably will have a rearing horse or shield shaped symbol on the can.
Finally what color is your mother in law going to nay say the least ? See above bullet "institutional paint color choices".

Dude...I'm thinking that there is a VERY scary universe inside your head. :eek:

Jim Koepke
06-30-2014, 11:13 AM
it's gloss solid paint, should wipe clean with a baby wipe no?

A baby wipe may contain too much water for such a use.

I use an inexpensive paint brush to knock off the loose stuff. Then a wipe down with a rag saturated in either mineral oil or a furniture wax/oil.

A good enamel may take a week or more to cure unless it is a baking enamel.

jtk

Matthew N. Masail
06-30-2014, 11:31 AM
If the paint I use can't stand a little dampness from a baby wipe. .. ..

Jim Koepke
06-30-2014, 11:34 AM
If the paint I use can't stand a little dampness from a baby wipe. .. ..

It isn't the paint I would worry about. There are unprotected areas of iron that will not do well with extended exposure to water.

jtk

Matthew N. Masail
06-30-2014, 11:37 AM
Ok I get that, I actually never wipe the paint on my planes down, don't need to, maybe once is a blue moon (ahohoooooo) But I'm just talking about paint getting dirty or not, if it's good stuff it shouldn't really collect dirt, right?

Jim Koepke
06-30-2014, 11:49 AM
It won't 'collect dirt' but like so many things in life, dirt happens.

Sometimes my planes are used outside. If it is hot my perspiration may end up on the plane. Then if there is any free floating dust it may end up attaching itself.

A wipe in time can save nine...

jtk

Tom Vanzant
06-30-2014, 11:59 AM
Matthew, like Jim K, I dust off the plane with an old paintbrush, then wipe down the entire plane with a slightly oily rag. That takes care of fingerprints, perspiration and dirt, and as Jim said, dirt happens.

Matthew N. Masail
06-30-2014, 12:13 PM
So Ivory might not be the best idea bottom line

Judson Green
06-30-2014, 12:23 PM
I'd just think that a whiteish plane would look dirtier that a dark color or gray.

Matthew N. Masail
06-30-2014, 12:36 PM
I can get dark satin gray... was my first thought before this thread

Pat Barry
06-30-2014, 12:39 PM
Given the options you have laid out, I would like to see you paint it Ivory.

ed: Now that I have seen all the responses and most importantly your own leaning toward Ivory I feel that is what you must do.

Judson Green
06-30-2014, 12:50 PM
That be alright. Kind of a battleship look?

Matthew N. Masail
06-30-2014, 12:52 PM
lol you guys are killing me, but I think I must do Ivory, it's not like it's the only plane body in the world

Jim Koepke
06-30-2014, 1:01 PM
Ivory should be fine. It may show dirt more than other colors but that just shows that it is loved and used.

jtk

Judson Green
06-30-2014, 1:11 PM
You could paint every plane in your arsenal a different color, that be cool!

Matthew N. Masail
06-30-2014, 1:26 PM
too bad I don't like metal planes larger than a No. 5, and I only have 4's and don't plan on buying more, for now. I do plane on making many more though. I don't like having much more than I use, I prefer to have few tools that I know well.

Jim Koepke
06-30-2014, 1:47 PM
I don't like having much more than I use, I prefer to have few tools that I know well.

I like having a few of the same size set up for different tasks.

One of my #3 sized planes is used for rough work, sometimes like a scrub plane. The other one is set up for thin cuts used in final smoothing.

My #4s are pretty near all the same. That way there is no need to stop work just because the blade is getting dull, just change planes.

My #5s are all over the place, some for jointing some for smoothing.

One of my #5-1/4s (set up as a dedicated scrub plane) looks like it was on the losing end of catastrophe. The other one is a fine user when a junior jack fits the bill.

Surely the minimalist approach is a valid choice. Though one thing is certain, I know each one of my tools fairly well.

I even remember most of their names. :p

jtk

Don Orr
06-30-2014, 1:57 PM
Flames-ya gotta have flames if you're going custom paint job. Think how fast it'll look like its going.

Zach Dillinger
06-30-2014, 2:11 PM
Flames-ya gotta have flames if you're going custom paint job. Think how fast it'll look like its going.

Don't forget the giant NOS stickers from AutoZone... that's what all the cool kids are doing.... or so the movies tell me.

Matthew N. Masail
06-30-2014, 2:30 PM
I like having a few of the same size set up for different tasks.

One of my #3 sized planes is used for rough work, sometimes like a scrub plane. The other one is set up for thin cuts used in final smoothing.

My #4s are pretty near all the same. That way there is no need to stop work just because the blade is getting dull, just change planes.

My #5s are all over the place, some for jointing some for smoothing.

One of my #5-1/4s (set up as a dedicated scrub plane) looks like it was on the losing end of catastrophe. The other one is a fine user when a junior jack fits the bill.

Surely the minimalist approach is a valid choice. Though one thing is certain, I know each one of my tools fairly well.

I even remember most of their names. :p

jtk

Sound like you have a use for them all, that's not what I meant. I mean I don't like tools sitting on the shelfe not bieng used.
I also have a very small shop, so less is more in my case.

I like working in pairs, 2 low angle block planes, 2 smoother and such, one set fine and the other medium or heavy. 3 is maybe the most I'd want

Bill Houghton
06-30-2014, 10:36 PM
If you paint it John Deere Green, and then decide to replace it with another plane, you can sell it to Marv Werner for a fortune.

Tony Zaffuto
06-30-2014, 10:44 PM
I could easily like an ivory plane! Post pics when complete!

Matthew N. Masail
07-01-2014, 10:47 AM
I will tony. the frog is on it's way. once I confirm it fits I'll get to work !

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
07-03-2014, 11:02 AM
That be alright. Kind of a battleship look?

Well, if that's the case...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dazzle_camouflage

Cody Kemble
07-03-2014, 11:57 AM
Well, if that's the case...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dazzle_camouflage

I definitely see how it would work at sea. However I think it would make me sick in the shop.

Winton Applegate
07-03-2014, 11:28 PM
Way to go Derek !
That's awesome (in a frightening and worrying kind of way).
A guy ask once, while listening to Frank Sinatra singing on the juke box, "I wonder who HE listens to when he is feeling bad ?".

That made me think . . . do shrinks have shrinks ? (no derogatory intent there; I just like the sound of the word).
If so what does YOUR analyst have to say about that hand plane ?

Plane skins to change the look per the seasons and holidays?
Why not!
After all, the bosses where I work do that with their little dogs.
May as well put clothes on our hand planes.

Very witty,Winton

Ha, ha
the way that sounds reminds me of two movie moments :
The first one is from Haunted Honeymoon; an exchange between Gene Wilder and his old butler from when he was a child.
"He's a widower."
"widower than what ?"
"What ?" "You said he is widower . . . widower than what."
. . .
"So he is a widow man ?" "Yes." "That's all I was asking."

And the second movie moment (which as far as I can determine was not supposed to be a comic moment as there are no comic moments in the film) is from It Came From Outer Space
and is a a comment on the findings of the scientist's assistant Bob :

"That's odd Bob."

Okaaaaa not as good as Very witty,Winton but right up there.

PS: one more (from the Marx brothers movie Horse Feathers) :

"Is there anything further Father ?"

Chris Fournier
07-03-2014, 11:38 PM
Whatever. Chartruse. Clear coat it. Let it rust. Just use it.

Winton Applegate
07-04-2014, 12:58 AM
About that dazzle paint job

If there were more than one person like Wonko The Sane (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonko_the_sane#Wonko_the_Sane)

and there isn’t
but if there were (which there isn’t) they would all show up , with their fleet of ships painted dazzle camo.

Wonko assures me he is quite sane, and I believe him, though I have no example of “sane” to compare his behavior to to verify that claim.

As I recall the comity that came up with the dazzle idea for camouflage during war time was the same comity that did the statistical study of the universe . . .
it was called the

Mid-Galactic Census report (http://www.american-buddha.com/hitchhikersolong2.htm),. . . and like most such surveys, had cost an awful lot of money and told nobody anything they didn't already know -- except that every single person in the Galaxy had 2.4 legs and owned a hyena. Since this was clearly not true the whole thing eventually had to be scrapped.
along with the dazzle paint.

Steve Rozmiarek
07-04-2014, 10:27 AM
Thats hilarious Winton, I've got to reread that someday.

Late to the coffee conversation of the day, well yesterday, but I'd consider festool colors maybe.

Matthew N. Masail
07-31-2014, 5:03 PM
So it's done ! I wasn't sure how I liked it at first, but it's growing on me. I fitted it with a thicker blade, while I really like the stock irons, I prefer to have a slightly tighter mouth (not very tight), and a thick iron allows you to have that with the the frog still fully resting on the casting.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
07-31-2014, 10:01 PM
I like it. I'd like a little more gloss in the paint, I feel like, and it'd be neat to take a little enamel model paint with a brush and fill in the Stanley logo to make it pop. But it looks nice!

Pat Barry
08-01-2014, 7:59 AM
Looks nice and clean! Did you primer it first, then top coat with the ivory color? Spray can method I assume

Daniel Rode
08-01-2014, 8:28 AM
Nice. Rat Rod style planes!

Perhaps we could find an artist to paint on faux-rust, and sun-faded enamel :)

Matthew N. Masail
08-01-2014, 8:32 AM
Yeah spray can. no prime, but I did get down to bare metal first with a wire brush in the drill press and some sandpaper. I actually had to do it twice... first time around I didn't
shake the can well enough and it coughed up a bunch of orange dust! :( I assume it was part of the pigment in the paint. oh well. taking it off wasn't easy even before it dried fully, so I think it will hold up fine.

Josh, I could do that, but honestly, I think I've already gone too far!

Jim Koepke
08-01-2014, 11:13 AM
It looks fine.

Did you bevel the edge around the sides?

jtk

Matthew N. Masail
08-01-2014, 11:51 AM
Hi Jim, Yes I did, I wondered if someone would notice :) I wasn't trying to make it more "fancy". the edge of the side always rubs annoyingly on my left hand, usually a gentle rounding does the trick, but I thought I'd try something else, it works too, but takes off the height of the support a little! not a big deal, but for the future I'll probably just round that area a little.