PDA

View Full Version : A tale of two saws

steven c newman
06-29-2014, 11:04 AM
Part of a three piece deal for $10. Wound up with a small eggbeater drill (frozen up tight) and these two things292150Well, we do have a couple tree limbs in need of being cut back. Seems they are sitting ON the roof, messing with the shingles. needed a LONG saw to reach the branch doing the worse. The cross cut LOOKING saw like object behind it is for parts, only. It's tote is cracked, plate is junk. However it did have three bolts...

Now the interesting part292151you see, as much as I turned the slotted side of those bolts, nothing happened. Just sit and spun. Dug them out. Rivets? :mad: Both halves just slide into each other. The Disston medallion is brass (plated, maybe) but the rest is steel. I took off the extra handle on the pruning saw to clean up. There are two holes for it. Normal enough. I then removed the tote..:eek:..Holes just don't line up. Frankensaw? :confused: Tote was held on by a single small bolt, with a couple washers, and a wing nut.:mad: This is just to do a bit of tree trimming work around the house, so

Do I just drill the plate for the new bolts holes (2)

Reuse the tote as is.

Note, have removed most of the rust on the plate, no etch has been found.

Parts saw? other than the three "bolts" rest is RIP in a trash can. As for the drill?292152this is after I torn it all down, unfroze the moving parts, oiled things up. Debating on a paint job. Handle has no storage inside it.

Jim Koepke
06-29-2014, 11:25 AM
Parts saw? other than the three "bolts" rest is RIP in a trash can.

I have used pieces of saw plate to make a marking knife and a scraper.

It could also be used to make a small saw if it can clean up at all.

jtk

steven c newman
06-29-2014, 2:52 PM
That crosscut saw? Not worth the effort. The tote for the "Pruning saw" seems to have been a real pruning saw tote, NOT a two man lumber saw.

Cody Kemble
06-29-2014, 9:42 PM
I have used pieces of saw plate to make a marking knife and a scraper.

It could also be used to make a small saw if it can clean up at all.

jtk

+ 1 on the scraper idea. You never know when you will want a scraper with a custom curve. Nice to have on hand. My wife also found a way to transfer photos onto saw blades. We have a saw hanging that has a picture of our daughter walking on the farm. I think she felt I had too many laying around.

steven c newman
06-29-2014, 10:07 PM
Ok, here tis. Sanded all the ratty, flaky finish off the tote. Rivet-bolts shined up. Extra hnadle cleaned up. Drilled two NEW holes. Re-installed the rivet/bolts using a ballpean hammer, and an anvil part of the vise. Same with the rivet on the E. Handle
Warranted Superior on the medallion,,,,plus a keystone. Photos?292181 The "show" side. and the 292182not so showy side. Almost ready to trim a tree? haven't found the Setter tool, yet. Saw still has quite bit of set to it. Might take a extra large file to sharpen them choppers with.

steven c newman
06-30-2014, 11:55 AM
Style of the teeth is called Champion. Four cutting teeth, then a raker. It is still sharp, but maybe a tune up is needed. Tree limbs to be cut off are about 4" in diameter, and 15' to 20' in the air. Can get a ladder up there. Needed something LONG, so it wouldn't take much to reach out and cut the limbs off. After that? hard to say, anybody NEED a small "pruning saw"? Aka...bucking saw?

Pat Barry
06-30-2014, 12:54 PM
Style of the teeth is called Champion. Four cutting teeth, then a raker. It is still sharp, but maybe a tune up is needed. Tree limbs to be cut off are about 4" in diameter, and 15' to 20' in the air. Can get a ladder up there. Needed something LONG, so it wouldn't take much to reach out and cut the limbs off. After that? hard to say, anybody NEED a small "pruning saw"? Aka...bucking saw?
Be safe. Standing on a ladder with that big heavy saw and cutting a 4 inch limb? Not gonna find me trying that. Maybe one of the Wallenda's. Go rent yourself a pole saw and stay on the ground.

Jim Koepke
06-30-2014, 1:05 PM
Tree limbs to be cut off are about 4" in diameter, and 15' to 20' in the air. Can get a ladder up there.

Some considerations:

Make sure your ladder isn't in the path of the falling limb.

Undercut the limb to prevent splitting the limb or incurring a huge surprise when it does.

jtk

steven c newman
07-02-2014, 4:34 PM
And, have some 20 yr olds to do the work. That saw is one heavy......saw! Seems to be sharp at the moment, with some decent set. might not have been used all that much. might have spent most of it's life as a barn door ornament....

Teeth are a "Champion" style. Two cutters between each raker, with four teeth out on the ends. haven't found any etch on the plate. Would there be any markings ON there ferrel for the extra handle? not sure IF I'll keep it around once the tree trimming is done. it would be a bear to ship, though...