PDA

View Full Version : New motor for Delta 17-950L

Kevin Mort
06-29-2014, 8:42 AM
Hi all. So I picked up this Delta drill press some time back for practically nothing. Not perfect condition but the table surface looks good, all the spinny bits are good. The main exception is the rack is misshapen - easy to replace as there are lots of models that use essentially the same setup for the stand.

The bigger issue is the motor seems to have a short, or it's grounded. Any time I turn it on it blows a breaker.

So looking to replace the motor and notice it has no decal or plate on it. Lovely. Ok turn to the manual and all it says is that it is a 1/2 HP 120v induction motor. No word on the speed of the motor itself, but I know it's supposed to drive the bit up to about 3000 RPM max.

Looking at a newer PC model which I think is the one that essentially replaced this one, it says the motor is 1 HP and about 1750 RPM or thereabouts.

So two things I am wondering - first if anyone has one of these 17-950L units and can look at the motor plate to tell me the unladen RPM, and second, I wonder if I could move this up to a 3/4 or 1 HP. Knowing of course I won't have a known drilling speed RPM anymore if I go with something that's spinning at a different speed from the stock unit.

Searching ebay I found a new 1/2 Baldor for $50. Probably a few more deals to be had. The new motors from Delta are discontinued for this eon, and the new model motors are over $300. Yikes.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

Matt Meiser
06-29-2014, 8:45 AM
Figure out your pulley diameters for a particular spindle speed from the chart under the hood and calculate back to find the motor speed.

Kevin Mort
06-29-2014, 10:29 AM
Yea good idea. So with this one, it has three pulleys. The center is inverted vs the motor and the spindle pulleys. So would you use the center or the motor pulley diameters? Most of the calculations I seem to recall banked on there only being two pulleys to care about.

Thomas Hotchkin
06-29-2014, 12:19 PM
Kevin
My Delta 17-950L drill press woodworker model with replaceable table center insert, motor is 1/2 HP at 1750 RPM. You might check out start capacitor, see if its shorted out. Tom

Kevin Mort
06-29-2014, 1:15 PM
Thanks Tom, I got the motor off this afternoon took a peek in and found what looks liked a burned up wire. I did pop off the protective metal cover on the cap, it didn't appear to have any issues I could see. The 1750 sounds right from what I am finding from running the numbers. Thanks.