View Full Version : Cedar Chest Hinges

Jerry Solomon
05-23-2003, 5:25 PM
My wife inherited an old cedar chest. It needs new hinges. The original hinges appear to have been they type where one piece is rounded and the other square. I say "appear" because someone installed another type of hinge which is not suitable.

Does anyone know a source of this type of hinge? The chest has a "box" top (i.e. it's not a flat board).

Kevin Gerstenecker
05-23-2003, 5:48 PM
Jerry, one source I like to use for hinges is Lee Valley. They have a catalog that is dedicated to hardward, and chances are they have what you need. They are great to deal with too. I am sure someone else has some sources as well, but Lee Valley usually has what I am looking for. Here is the link for ya. Good Luck on the hunt!:)

www.leevalley.com (http://www.leevalley.com)

Bud Duffy
05-23-2003, 7:26 PM
Jerry you might try Van Dykes .com they specialize in antique hardware my brother has used them several times and says they are real good to work with. Ijust checked and the style you describe are 1.99 for plain steel and 2.99 for brass plated . They are square on top and kind of round or oval on the bottom. good luck with your search.

Jerry Solomon
05-23-2003, 9:45 PM
Bud - I looked at the Van Dyke site but can't find the hinges. Did you note the ID number?



Jerry Solomon
05-23-2003, 9:47 PM
Kevin - Thanks for the tip about Lee Valley. However, I looked at their web site but couldn't see the style of hinge I'm looking for. They do have a lot of nice merchandise. Wish I had more money!!

Kevin Gerstenecker
05-23-2003, 10:39 PM
Jerry, I did an Internet Search and there are a TON of hardware specialty companies out there. Unless the Cedar Chest is very old, chances are a suitable replacement hinge can be found. It may take some surfin' to find them, but reproduction hardware for almost anything is available today, and I would bet with enough rooting around, you will find something that matches, or is very close. Good Luck, and let us know what you find. Enjoy the Holiday weekend! ;)

Bud Duffy
05-23-2003, 11:34 PM
Jerry the item #s are 02003520 for the steel one and 02003522 for the brass plated steel one.

Jerry Solomon
05-24-2003, 10:45 AM
Bud - Thanks for the help - Jerry

Bud Duffy
05-24-2003, 5:25 PM
You are very welcome ,those looked like the ones i have seen on old trunks.i hope they are the ones you were looking for.