PDA

View Full Version : Plane frogs

Moses Yoder
06-29-2014, 5:09 AM
What would you do with this box of plane frogs? I got it for a 20, the guy was just getting rid of them, but they are worth way more than that if I sell them for $5 each. I am not really interested in keeping them in hopes of someday needing them, although if I do need one someday it will cost me a lot more than a fiver. I am thinking of giving them an electrolysis bath and cleaning them up and selling them, which would require some time spent researching type and size and brand, but I would probably end up with a lot more money than I have in them. Any advice? There are a couple Bedrocks, the rest are Stanley Bailey and Sargent I think.

Matthew N. Masail
06-29-2014, 7:29 AM
I don't know how long it would take to clean, but if you have the time and the frogs aren't badly pitted you do stand to gain quite a bit. if you sold them off at 8-10$ a piece you might be doing a bunch of people a great service. (I responded on the other thread as well)

george wilson
06-29-2014, 8:39 AM
If you took them to an Early American Industries meeting/tool flea market,I'm sure you could sell them for a big profit. Those collectors would know what exact planes they would fit. Soak them on Evaporust. It isn't real cheap,but will remove the rust for you. You can get it at auto supply stores.

Jim Koepke
06-29-2014, 11:30 AM
I am not sure the time spent on extensive cleaning would actually improve the price or odds of selling.

Maybe knock off what can be removed with a stiff brush and see how they look.

jtk

george wilson
06-29-2014, 12:01 PM
I think Evaporust just dissolves the rust. But I haven't actually tried any yet. When I went to an auto parts store to get some,for some reason I was told to come back later!! I think the yo yo's were eating lunch or something!! Wonder how long they can stay in business like that?

Cody Kemble
06-29-2014, 11:12 PM
Maybe theses are some of the leftover parts from those fancy coat hanger hooks.

Mel Miller
06-30-2014, 5:42 PM
It's not likely you're going to get more money for these if you spend time cleaning them. Most folks like to clean their own stuff. The most saleable frogs will be #2 & 8 Stanley, and Bedrock.

Judson Green
06-30-2014, 7:22 PM
+1 to the bothering too much with the cleaning, just get the big chunks off and be done with it.