PDA

View Full Version : Unusual C-clamps

Moses Yoder
06-29-2014, 5:02 AM
These were tacked on the wall of a garage sale with a $4 sticker on one. I asked if that was for both and she said it wasn't hers but it was probably for both. I only had $3 with me and she took that, now what do I do with them? Very unusual clamps, what would these have been made for? They are about 6" high from top to bottom.

george wilson
06-29-2014, 8:29 AM
There are heavy duty clamps that are made for clamping onto a thick,heavy steel plate in order to link a hook to it to lift it up with a crane. But,their frames and screws are much more massive.

These are reminiscent of that type of clamp,but the frames are too light for anything very heavy. I'm wondering if they could have been for getting a similar purchase on something lighter,like a large tarpaulin,or similar on a farm.

The reason I think they were for lifting some sort of load is that they are pretty heavy duty but don't open very far. I've no idea what the small wire hooks were for.

Moses Yoder
06-29-2014, 8:50 AM
I am guessing the wire hooks were added later for displaying them; I will probably remove them.

george wilson
06-29-2014, 8:56 AM
It is possible the wire hooks were for hanging them up. They were definitely there for a factory made purpose. I'd suggest strongly leaving them there since they were not user added,and some day,when you find out about these clamps,you might come to regret removing them. They could have collectible value. Certainly they are not common,and in decades of flea market searching,I have never seen these type clamps,so they are likely rare. Search reprints of those old Montgomery Wards catalogs,or Sears reprints. They are from the late 19th. C.,and can be a valuable resource of obscure information.

Winton Applegate
06-29-2014, 1:07 PM
heavy duty clamps that are made for clamping onto a thick,heavy steel plate in order to link a hook to it to lift it up with a crane.

G.W.
proves once again he is the real deal.

I was thinking the same but did not take into account the lack of robustness for heavy steel plate.

But that got me trying to think a little.
any chance they are for amateur handling of plywood ? ? ? ?

bridger berdel
06-29-2014, 1:34 PM
maybe for stringing up a clothesline?

Winton Applegate
06-29-2014, 1:40 PM
Thor's clothesline at his castle in Asgard maybe.

Bruce Page
06-29-2014, 1:47 PM
Interesting clamps. They are purpose built but I can’t see that the little wire hook could be used for much more than storage. The plate-stock lifting clamps I have seen and used had a forged clevis to attach to the crane and a square end to the c-clamp that you tightened with a wrench, not a thumb screw like these.

george wilson
06-29-2014, 1:48 PM
Those C clamps for lifting heavy steel plate were much more massive. I had one that weighed 35 pounds at work,and tightened with a wrench instead of thumb pads.

Winton Applegate
06-29-2014, 1:58 PM
Little wire hooks too weak

yah
did they have these back in the day the clamps are from ?
http://www.amazon.com/Lehigh-7441-12-4-Inch-200-Pound-Stainless/dp/B00648HLAO/ref=pd_sbs_auto_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1CBJASWAE3TA3Z451JXA

I'm barely half a century old, just turned into an adult by Chinese reckoning (though they might make an exception in my case).
. . . so what do I know ?

Winton Applegate
06-29-2014, 2:06 PM
Here we go . . . strong like bull
http://www.amazon.com/3255BC-Double-Clevis-Yellow-Chromate/dp/B000VZPUX6/ref=sr_1_60?ie=UTF8&qid=1404065133&sr=8-60&keywords=chain+clevis