PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G1021 planer opinions, please

Cliff Polubinsky
06-28-2014, 8:23 PM
There's a Grizzly G1021 planer available locally at a reasonable price. If I picked it up I'd put a Grizzly spiral head in it which would keep the total price in the 1100-1200 range.

Those who have this model has it been a reliable performer? Would you buy it again? Or should I just pony up the additional $600 or so to pick up a new G0453PX?

Thanks for your feedback.

Cliff

Glenn Samuels
06-28-2014, 9:07 PM
Cliff, I have the G0453P (straight blades) and will someday soon add the helical cutters. I really like the weight of the machine. Can't comment on the G1021 but there is approximately 200 lbs difference in weight. There is also a substantial difference in power, 3 HP vs 2 HP. If possible, I'd probably go with the G0453PX

David C. Roseman
06-28-2014, 10:24 PM
I've had a G1021 since 1986. It was the first Grizzly tool I ever bought, and I think I paid around $650 new back then. I don't use it commercially, but it's been a workhorse over the years. The cast iron cover for the cutterhead gears cracked about 15 yrs ago, but I was able to do a braze repair with an oxy/acetylene torch and a sand dam. Other than that, I've had zero problems. I have no idea what condition the one you're interested in is in. I'd try to determine it's age and how it's been used, in addition to test driving it, of course. If the price difference for a new G0453PX, with spiral cutterhead and enclosed stand is in fact $600, the used unit would have to be close to pristine for me to consider going that route.

David

Scott Britton
06-29-2014, 5:57 AM
I also have the Grizzly G1021 15" planer. I am in the process of installing a Grizzly H7655 INDEXABLE SPIRAL CUTTERHEAD. I started last night and hope to finish today if I have the time. I bought my G1021 back in 1990. I love mine. It is built like a tank and I've never had a problem with it. I can't wait to finish the install!

Bill Space
06-29-2014, 8:04 AM
I have a G1021 that I hope to install a spiral head in someday.

If it were me I would buy the g0453. You will get a warranty, more HP, and cast iron tables ( rather than somewhat lightweight rollers). And a NEW machine.

Myself, I toyed with the idea of selling mine and buying new w/spiral head, but since I know my machine (bought new 20+ years ago and not heavily used) I concluded it would make sense for me to keep it. Depending on sale price I figured it would have cost me $700+ before it was all over...if I sold my G1021.

I would buy new.

David Masters
06-29-2014, 10:44 AM
I picked up a used G1021Z about two years ago. I spent some time going over the planer to make sure it was ready for operation, and even though I'm a hobbyist, I've put it through some heavy loads. The G1021Z has been very reliable and didn't have any issues going though the white oak I used for my last project. I've thought about adding a spiral head to the G1021Z, but I've been very happy with the results I get from the knives. Changing the knives is not a complicated job and cost about $25 to resharpen from a local service.

I'm not sure what the difference is between the G1021 and the G1021Z, but my planer appears to have pretty much the same base specs as the current low end Grizzly model has.

Dave

Scott Britton
07-02-2014, 2:55 PM
Well.....I finished the spiral cutter head install. Man-O-Man what a difference!! I think this planer makes less noise than my Grizzly lunchbox planer. The HF dust collector works much better with it too. With the old knife cutter head, the dust collector was constantly clogging. I am more then happy I did this conversion.

Bill Space
07-03-2014, 8:19 AM
Scott,

I like the grizzly cutterhead, but it is about $90 more expensive than the Byrd. For that reason if I upgrade my 15 inch G1021, I think I would go with the Byrd.

Was there a reason you decided on the Grizzly at the higher price?

just wondering if I am missing something...

Bill

Cliff Polubinsky
07-03-2014, 12:37 PM
It turns out the Grizzly isn't going to work after all. I started loading the rest of my machines into the new shop and have come to the conclusion I need to combine the jointer and planer into a single machine for space considerations. Wouldn't have thought going from a 1 car shop to a dedicated 20 x 24 shop that I'd be running out of space. But then, I did add a second band saw and a drum sander so I guess that would explain it.

So now to see which I can talk myself into - the Jet JP-12HH or the Hammer A3-31. Prefer the helical head on the Jet (and the price) but really loke the build and accessories of the Hammer. It would have to be the straight knife model with the possibility of adding a Byrd head next year. I was hoping to save some cash with a used planer. Since that won't work I'll just have to bite the bullet.

Cliff