PDA

View Full Version : Will Lie For Tools!! What have I become?!

Wade Samuelson
07-01-2005, 1:24 PM
I recently posted and asked for help in which type of clamps to acquire (my current collection consists of two old pipe clamps). I quickly learned from your responses that there is simply no cheap answer. Well I think Providence paid a visit to me last night:

My wife is a scrapbooker and has a table where she does her thing. Last night she asks, "Now that you're into building stuff, could you make me a nice table on wheels that will slide under my current table? Then when I want to scrapbook I can wheel it out and have a second table to set things on?"

I paused and considered the fact that I have absolutely no idea in the world how to build any table, let alone a "nice" table, but...I looked her in the eye and said, "Well, unless you want a plywood top on it, I am going to need about $350 worth of clamps (Besseys or Jorgy's) to glue up the top." Our eyes remained fixed on each other for a moment as she considered what she'd walked into. Then she says simply "Well, OK, just as long as I get my table."

So...now I have a greenlight to go and make a considerable dent in my "Needed Clamps" list. I can't believe I told her that I can make her a table though!! It just popped out!! Geez! Are there any priests here...I need help!

Stay tuned for my next thread which will show up in about 2 weeks "How do I make a table?!"

Richard Wolf
07-01-2005, 1:32 PM
Rule #1; Always sound confident. (you did that).

Now that it's time to pay the piper, I suggest doing some homework quickly.

Richard

Gary Herrmann
07-01-2005, 1:33 PM
Rockler has 25% off Besseys right now. Will you feel better, if you go back to her and say you need $262.50 in clamps? :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
07-01-2005, 1:34 PM
That wasn't a lie!!! You just gave the premium answer!! :D

Greg Mann
07-01-2005, 1:37 PM
So all you need is the clamps? You must be one well equipped WWer. Either that, or you better polish up on your technique, cause you're gonna need to go back more. :D

Greg

Keith Foster
07-01-2005, 1:48 PM
You're an amature.

The misses wanted a new dog house for our Siberian Huskey. Got the green light to build it myself since we couldn't find the right AC'd unit in the retail channel. Since I had nada in tools I told her we were going to need a "few" items. So far I'm up to a Grizzly table saw and a few DeWalt odds and ends (12" CMS, Cordless HammerDrill & Cut Off Tool, Circular saw, Jig saw, and Router). Of course to use the router I needed a Incra 17" LS Joinery System - because as everyone knows a well built dog house will have at least a dozen dovetails somewhere! :cool:

Almost forgot, had to pick up a second circular saw from Sears as I didn't want to use my good DeWalt on that nasty old Hardie Plank. :rolleyes:

Don Baer
07-01-2005, 1:56 PM
hmmmm lets see besides clamps you'll need.

1. New Planer
2. New Joiner
3. Cabinats saw
4. 3 hp shaper
5. New Dust collector (gotta keep all that saw dust under control)
6. New compressor
7. HVLP spray gun.
come on guys help me out he's gonna need a lot more then just clamps.

Keith Foster
07-01-2005, 1:59 PM
Do you have a truck to get the wood home...:D If not, you're gonna need one.

Hey Don, almost forgot the DC unit - good catch. I'll add that to my list...

Wade Samuelson
07-01-2005, 2:07 PM
This table only needs a top about 24" x 40" and will stand about 34" high (plus 2" for wheels). I have a table saw, a SCMS, a router/table, and an assortment of handheld power tools--circular saw, 2nd router, drills, orbital sander. Seriously, are there any MUST HAVE tools which I failed to consider?? Thanks!

James Carmichael
07-01-2005, 2:16 PM
AllPro tools has their Gross Stabils on sale for July. They'e on the web, Google em.

Don't forget, you can turn a woman's secret weapon on her (no, not the obvious ones): be sure to tell her how much you saved by shopping a sale. That's how I outfitted my shop. LOML may not know "hollow-chisel mortiser" but gets "clearance sale" and "40%-off".

James Carmichael
07-01-2005, 2:17 PM
This table only needs a top about 24" x 40" and will stand about 34" high (plus 2" for wheels). I have a table saw, a SCMS, a router/table, and an assortment of handheld power tools--circular saw, 2nd router, drills, orbital sander. Seriously, are there any MUST HAVE tools which I failed to consider?? Thanks!

If you're planning on a solid-wood top, a jointer and planer will be hard to do without.

John Shuk
07-01-2005, 2:19 PM
Welcome to the club!

Don Baer
07-01-2005, 2:29 PM
Wade,

Years ago my wife wanted me to make her a quilt rack. She said she wanted one with a drawer in the bottom and all of the ones she saw in stores didn't have drawers. This was before I found Saw Mill Creek and fell into this group. I made it using a hand skill saw, Jig saw, a hand drill and a RAS and a couple of clamps.
It took me a week end. Now it would be a thee week project and the results would be much the same...;) But I would get to use all of the toys I have accumulated since then.

Douglas Robinson
07-01-2005, 2:34 PM
A joiner and a planer are crucial.

Wade Samuelson
07-01-2005, 2:38 PM
If you're planning on a solid-wood top, a jointer and planer will be hard to do without.

The planer I can see would be mighty useful, but how is the jointer indispensible? (Pardon my ignorance--I really just don't have a clue when it comes to this! (I can tie a palomar knot with my eyes closed though!)).

Lee DeRaud
07-01-2005, 2:44 PM
So...now I have a greenlight to go and make a considerable dent in my "Needed Clamps" list. I can't believe I told her that I can make her a table though!! It just popped out!! Geez! Are there any priests here...I need help!I'm not a priest, but if the project really gets ugly, my GF works for a divorce attorney.:p

Michael Sloan
07-01-2005, 3:20 PM
Hi Wade,

You can do it with the tools that you have. However, a chance to get new tools should not be discarded casually.

Therefore, I think that you need both a jointer and a planer. With the pair, you can surface and square up stock, which will allow you to buy rough cut lumber. This will allow you to be more selective in the wood that you use, as well as allowing you to develop a more refined design that does not rely on lumber thicknesses commonly available already surfaced.

Now, if you had a chainsaw, a bandsaw, and a kiln (or two years of time) you could then cut down the tree, cut it into rough boards, dry the lumber, and then square and surface the lumber for the table. It would be much more meaningful that way.

All kidding aside, for a table, the jointer is particularly useful in creating flat edges on the table top boards that need to be joined together. But there are lots of other ways of doing that using either the table saw, router with or without router table, or a handplane. The other approaches just take longer and may not be quite as accurate. You could also use plywood with hardwood edges for the top instead of making a solid wood top. Gotta have the edges to justify the clamps.

Overall, I'm sure that you can get by with what you have (with the addition of the clamps), although you might also need a couple of new router bits and drill bits. A smoothing plane would also be a helpful addition if you don't have one.

Good Luck

Jerry Olexa
07-01-2005, 3:28 PM
That wasn't a lie. It was a creative response in the heat of the moment that also happens to be true!! Good Job. Now you better learn how to use em and build a real nice table:D :)

Jay Knoll
07-01-2005, 3:30 PM
Lots of good advice here, I agree with the jointer planer combo

and just to keep the playing field level guys, here's the knot!

http://eaglespark.com/Knots/palomar.htm

Yeah, I had to look it up!

But I really don't think anyone of us here really believe that we're putting something over on our wives -- hell if they weren't smart we wouldn't have married them. On the other hand, it is a great game -- now when my wife asks me to do a new project she always asks what new tool I'm going to need! :)

Now that we've convinced you that you need a jointer we can start another thread about 6" vs 8"!

Have fun with the project

Jay

Michael Ballent
07-01-2005, 4:00 PM
Rockler has 25% off Besseys right now. Will you feel better, if you go back to her and say you need $262.50 in clamps? :rolleyes:

I would think of that as buy 4 get one free :D

Greg Mann
07-01-2005, 4:00 PM
(I can tie a palomar knot with my eyes closed though!)).

Sell the palomar on Ebay and open your eyes. You need tools, man. :rolleyes:

Robert Mayer
07-01-2005, 4:16 PM
I think your a lying cheat,

and i envy you. can you call my wife too?

Tim Morton
07-01-2005, 8:02 PM
The problem as i see it was in that you might have gotten greedy in the request for $350 in clamps....you risked her coming back with ..."well for that amount I can BUY a nice table", once she figures out that she can ussually buy somethign for less than you can build it when you factor in the requisite tool purchase you might as well start collectiing stamps as a hobby cuz for you the jig is up. Trust me while you were locking eyes and all you could think about was those wicked cool clamps...she was 10 moves ahead of you...next time be vague and let her know you will look into what it will take to build it, and it should not be much more than the last project you worked one....THEN if she comes back and wants to know why you bought a cabinet saw to build a bench...you can just remind her that she said no problem when you aked her about it earlier....NOW lets talk about ways to sneak tool into the shop:D:D

Bill Fields
07-02-2005, 3:03 AM
Wade--stick to Rockler or LV if you will be using them frequently. I have all sorts of brands, and the most disappointing were the HF offering with a low price.

To cover most situations, you will need 6 pipe clamps, with a selection of pipe lengths at you disposal.

Also, get familiar with your local borg's plumbing department w/ 3/4" pipe.

-No black pipe--only galvanized--black stains everything it touches--galvanized costs slightly more
-standard lenghts are available of 12"/24"/36"/48"-etc.
-get familiar with couplings--you will need a half-dozen at least

Also, cheap bar clamps usually do not work well.

BILL FIELDS

Michael Gibbons
07-02-2005, 9:43 AM
Wade, because you got caught in your own deception, have the LOYL go visit her mom or send her shopping. Then quickly hit the BORG and buy a prebuilt kitchen cabinet, 4 casters, and some stuff for the top. You could finish it in a day and make some brownie points.

MIKE

Kelly C. Hanna
07-02-2005, 9:43 AM
Smooth move! I love it when wives are cornered....:D:D:D

Corvin Alstot
07-02-2005, 10:05 AM
The planer I can see would be mighty useful, but how is the jointer indispensible? (Pardon my ignorance--I really just don't have a clue when it comes to this! (I can tie a palomar knot with my eyes closed though!)). Wade if you buy lumber that is already milled and square you can avoid the planer and jointer for a while. However as you get more experience these two tools will offer a greater level of freedom and options in the wood you select.
Do some research on the table design and connections.
Buy your milled lumber and get started.
Should be a fun project.

Jim Dunn
07-02-2005, 12:08 PM
Hey Wade,

It comes with the territory, we're fishermen:eek::D I don't like the mess in the bottom of my boat so I don't tie the palomar not unless I'm drop shotting:rolleyes: But my tools came the same way as my fishing gear, ala "I need that to do this" can't flip with a crankbait rod, cant saw straight without a lot of tools:D

Ellen Benkin
07-02-2005, 12:20 PM
Great move! My new Rockler bar clamps have become favorites of mine. I do like my Besseys but they are heavy. The Rocklers are light, straight, and you can easily add "pads" to protect the wood. I'd get a combination of the Besseys and Rocklers.

Chris Barton
07-02-2005, 12:46 PM
Welcome to the dark side...

Chris

Keith Christopher
07-02-2005, 10:01 PM
One you don't need a jointer. If you have a handheld router get a 1/2" or 3/4" piece of MDF. cut it to a managable size and keeping the factory edge unharmed measure your pieces and then using your router and a flush trim bit, trim the edges to the MDF. trust me this works. As for a planer, well most lumber dealers will thickness plane it for you. I think you're all set. but a biscut jointer is not bad either. ;)