PDA

View Full Version : Neat-lac leather finish on wood?

George Overpeck
06-27-2014, 11:48 PM
Hey all - just wondering if anyone has ever used a product called Neat-lac leather lacquer for wood finishing. All I can really find about it is that it was very popular with leather workers and was discontinued.

Someone dropped some off at the gallery I work at, it had been sitting in his garage for a few decades. Thought I'd check the wider community and see what we know.

thanks in advance- George

Jeff Gilfor
06-28-2014, 7:17 AM
Never heard of it, but lacquer is lacquer. The several decades on the shelf part makes me nervous though.

John Keeton
06-28-2014, 7:53 AM
I would think it was some sort of leather sealer that may have contained neatsfoot oil and lacquer, though I don't know how well those two would mix. Neatsfoot oil will darken leather considerably. Sounds like a test board would be the best bet.

Also, leather finishes usually are soft and flexible. This may not provide a durable finish depending on the intended use.

Ryan Mooney
06-28-2014, 1:08 PM
According to this: http://www.kingsmerecrafts.com/page12.html
its now sold as LCi Clear-Lac and Wyosheen and is a lacquer "base" leather product. I'd vote with John that its probably modified to be more flexible than you'd probably want for a wood finish product.

Ralph Lindberg
06-28-2014, 2:32 PM
John is probably close, I've got some Neat-Lac in the leather working bin, I might have to play with it on a test board and see.

It's a certainly that if Neat-lac has true Lacquer it has been modified to be flexible.

My dad told a story about the "old timers" in the Army (ie enlisted in the 1930s) that used Lacquer on their shoes that sat beside their bed for inspection. They looked incredible, but you couldn't wear them as the Lacquer would crack as the leather flexed.