PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever seen these fluted stickers before?

Paul Hinds
06-27-2014, 4:46 PM
People send me small cutoffs every now and then for my site and in one batch the fellow included this fluted sticker. I had never even heard of such a thing before but he says the mill he works for uses them a lot.

They seem like a clever idea since they will leave minimal sticker stain but on the other hand they look to be a real pain in the butt to make since near as I can tell you have to make multiple passes over a router table with a roundnosed bit and then rip the plank. Other good news about it is that it is made out of ipe and is likely to last approximately forever (but be very tough on the router bit).

I'm not a sawyer and have never stickered anything and I was just wondering if this kind of sticker is rare or common or what.

Dave Richards
06-27-2014, 4:57 PM
Those are kind of cool. I bet they aren't made with a router, though.

Steve Menendez
06-27-2014, 5:19 PM
CNC mill, perhaps?

Steve.

Tony Joyce
06-27-2014, 5:33 PM
People send me small cutoffs every now and then for my site and in one batch the fellow included this fluted sticker. I had never even heard of such a thing before but he says the mill he works for uses them a lot.

They seem like a clever idea since they will leave minimal sticker stain but on the other hand they look to be a real pain in the butt to make since near as I can tell you have to make multiple passes over a router table with a roundnosed bit and then rip the plank. Other good news about it is that it is made out of ipe and is likely to last approximately forever (but be very tough on the router bit).

I'm not a sawyer and have never stickered anything and I was just wondering if this kind of sticker is rare or common or what.

In this area of the country they are called "Breeze dried" stickers(http://www.breezedried.com/). It is my understanding it is a patented design. They are made by running shorter plank through a wide(36"-48") planner on a diagonal. The planner head is profiled to that pattern. Most likely they are done on a double sided planer. I was first made aware of these about 25 years ago. Not real common, but they have been around a while. They are probably gaining popularity because they lessen the likelihood of sticker stain.

Tony

They are now also made of composite material.

Paul Hinds
06-27-2014, 5:37 PM
In this area of the country they are called "Breeze dried" stickers(http://www.breezedried.com/). It is my understanding it is a patented design. They are made by running shorter plank through a wide(36"-48") planner on a diagonal. The planner head is profiled to that pattern. Most likely they are done on a double sided planer. I was first made aware of these about 25 years ago. Not real common, but they have been around a while. They are probably gaining popularity because they lessen the likelihood of sticker stain.

Tony

They are now also made of composite material.

Interesting. Thanks.

I did get a reply on The Forestry Forum and a sawyer there said he buys them in 10-foot lengths so that would take one heck of a wide planer :)

Rick Lizek
06-27-2014, 6:01 PM
It's fairly common from my sticker source. It's most likely massaranduba, not ipe. We usually get rectangular or the dogbone profile stickers.

Steve Peterson
06-27-2014, 6:07 PM
They sound like a great idea to prevent trapping moisture between the sticker and the wood. Most definitely machine made. Anything besides the wide planer (moulding head) that Tony mentioned would be a multi-pass operation. It may be OK to make 1 or 2 manually, but if you need stickers you usually need lots of them.

Steve

lowell holmes
06-28-2014, 9:21 AM
What in blases are stickers? :)

ray hampton
06-28-2014, 11:44 AM
a better name would be spacers, you layer your planks then place the stickers between each layer of planks

Joe Kieve
06-28-2014, 1:23 PM
Hmmm...the ones Tony referred to , "Breezedried" look like stock when it comes out of my planer. Gotta get those knives changed!

lowell holmes
06-28-2014, 3:03 PM
Thanks, now I know. It must be a sawmill term.

ray hampton
06-28-2014, 5:37 PM
Thanks, now I know. It must be a sawmill term.

it could be a sawmill term BUT I think that the sawmill started the practice to use their scrap wood up

lowell holmes
06-28-2014, 5:49 PM
Actually, I remember now that we were told to stack green wood and place stickers between the boards, then leaving the stack to dry over a period of time. There was a lot of discussion about what constituted a proper sticker. Of coarse these stacks could be left under cover to air dry or in a kiln to speed up the process.

When I read the first post in this string, I could not figure what the stickers shown were used for, thus the frustration.

If you guys live long enough, you may find yourself in this situation. :) Thanks for responding.

bill tindall
07-02-2014, 3:16 PM
Nothing to do with sticker stain and everything to do with rapid drying, especially species that can be dried in days like poplar. They enable air flow and hence drying "under" the stick. They are common at modern large kiln operations in my area. The last two high capacity KD operations I have visited used them, or something similar.

Michael Kellough
07-02-2014, 6:43 PM
Reducing sticker stain is a feature of these sticks. http://www.kilnsticks.com