PDA

View Full Version : Creating Silhouette from Photo

Glen Peters
07-01-2005, 12:47 PM
After reading the previous thread "Paint by Numbers....." I got to wondering if I could create a silhouette from a photo and cut it out of wood similar to what scrollsawers' do. The cutting is not the problem, creating an acceptable vector graphic is.

These are the tools I used:
Pinnacle Mercury 25 watt laser
HP Scanjet 5470c scanner ($30 Ebay find)
HP Precisionscan Pro 3.13 scanning software
Corel ver. 11

This is the original 5x7 color school photo of my grandson.

(Sorry, my photos are at the bottom of this post)

I scanned it selecting an output of "Black and White Bitmap". The pre-scan just showed a solid black blob. By selecting "Adjust Black & White" located under the Advanced menu and moving the slider around I was able to come up with something that looked similar to this:

Saved it as a .bmp, opened it in PhotoPaint, cropped and sized.

Opened it in Corel Draw and then traced vector lines around the black areas with the polyline tool. Had to make a few adjustments so I would not have a background area left within a cutout area. Hope that makes sense. Drew a box around it, saved it as a .cdr file and this is what I came up with:

Sent the .cdr to the laser and cut from 1/8" plywood, glued a piece of black/white IPI acrylic on the back (the only thing black I had handy at the time) and this is my silhouette.

Some notes:
I tried to use Corel Trace to create the vectors but it left a zillion line which I would have had to delete. Had I used the Advance Trace function an tried different settings it may have cleaned up OK. Didn't try it.

Don't know if all photos will work as well as this one did. This photo has the light source on the viewers right casting definite shadows on the left. Will try other pics later.

Time it took from start of original scan to a completed cutout was approx. 2.5 hours. Still looking for that magic bullet to cut the time down to minutes!!!!

The end results are not perfect but with a little imagination it does sort of resemble the original photo.

Thanks for looking. All comments, suggestions are welcome.

Glen

Barbara Buhse
07-01-2005, 4:34 PM
This is really nice... very similar to what I was going for ("paint by numbers") and I am now printing your instructions so I can try this too.
I beleive you have created an "original" Andy Warhol!:)

Barbara

Jerry Allen
07-01-2005, 11:46 PM
Glen,
I don't know why you got so many extraneous lines.
Taking the color photo into Corel Photo paint, I changed the color mode under the Image menu to black and white, using Line Art and adjusting the dialog to about 74%. Keep zooming in and out and adjusting until it looks good.
Saved it as bit map.
Opened Corel Draw.
Pasted it.
Started Trace on the bitmap.
Used the first type, Outline, at about 80%, although 100% did not produce that many lines. If I had used advanced, I would have used Reduce Nodes at about 20%, but why bother? From the view menu in Trace use the wireframe mode to inspect the conversion and keep fiddling til you get it right.
I only got about 60+ objects on your grandson's photo and could have gotten less reducing the slider to 60%.
Time: about 5 minutes.
Cut time about 5 minutes.
I figure you should be able to do the whole deal in fifteen minutes with a color photo with that resolution and contrast, not counting finish if any.

George M. Perzel
07-04-2005, 12:18 PM
Hi Barbara;
I'm sure that you know there's more than one way to skin a cat-here's a fairly simple method which may give you something close to what you want, provided you have Photoshop (or similar program):
1.Original picture, cropped and level adjusted (Pic1)
2. Open pic in Photoshop- go to Filter-Artistic-Cutout, play with levels until you get image you like and save as bmp.(Pic2)
3. Open Pic2 in Corel Trace- trace in Outline mode around 60%- save trace result (Pic3)
4. Import Pic3 in Corel Draw-change to wireline view and clean up.(Pic4)
5. To get silhouette-change image in Corel Trace to Black and White and then outline trace. (Pic5)

Each of these steps has many possible variations that you can play around with. Step 2 allows you to change the number of output levels (colors)-more colors, more details (more types of veneer used for inlay).

Have Fun!!
George

Chuck Burke
07-12-2005, 1:59 PM
Damn Glen,
I AM impressed. Nice job...... I have oh so much to learn.....

Thanks for the inspiration.

Chuck