PDA

View Full Version : Unisaw fence replacement?

Todd Burch
06-27-2014, 11:27 AM
Hi All. I just got this used right-tilt 52" 5HP unisaw off an auction site, and now I'm going through it to get it up to speed.

The cam handle for the unifence is missing, and I see it's no longer available. Also, the 43" L-shaped extrusion itself is pretty galled up where material would ride against it.

Soooooo… I'm thinking of replacing the fence system. I've actually never cared a whole lot for the unifence clamp mechanism. My dad has one and I always fight with it. I end up doing a lot more of "bumping it into place" than precision setting it where I want it.

I called around locally and found a place (Circle Saw) that still has an old Beisemeyer fence setup (the whole caboodle, fence and rails) for $585 (more than I paid for the saw). I like this type of system, though, as that is what I'm used to on my old PM 66.

I see Peachtree has a popular 43" square extrusion that would replace my L shaped fence, but that doesn't solve my handle/clamp dilemma.

Any recommendations for a fence system for this saw?

joe maday
06-27-2014, 12:43 PM
I would get a beisemeyer setup. Call Delta parts, Then grizzly, they both should be able to supply you with the fence, rails and legs. $585 seems to be too much for an old set up. call Delta.

Charlie Velasquez
06-27-2014, 2:06 PM
The Delta T-2 is the Beis's little brother and has garnered mostly positive comments. Only $200.

Ray Newman
06-27-2014, 2:18 PM
Try the Saw Center. They just might have some old parts laying around or know of a source.
http://www.sawcenter.com/

Andrew DiLorenzo
06-27-2014, 2:42 PM
I replace my unisaw fence with Delta's new fence system. I still have the original fence, figuring it should still be good for something.

Tom Howarth
06-27-2014, 5:57 PM
I replaced mine with a Steel City. It works great. I had to drill one hole in the angle iron so I could bolt it in a tapped hole on the saws table. Price was better than any others I looked at.

Larry Copas
06-27-2014, 10:10 PM
If all your missing is the cam handle that is something that could be fabricated quite easy. Clean up the extrusion by careful grinding or sanding. That would give you time to shop for a used Beisemeyer if that is what your wanting. The extruded fence on the Unifence is quite useful at times, so its worth fixing/keeping.

Joe Shinall
06-28-2014, 1:21 AM
I have the Vega Pro fence system for my Unisaw and absolutely love it. Half the price of the Bies and basically the same concept and has a micro adjuster. Big thumbs up for the Vega.

I had the piece you are speaking off from Peachtree for my old Unifence but it did not make the use of the fence any easier.

Jason White
06-28-2014, 2:10 AM
I saw these awhile back and think they look pretty good...

http://vsctools.com/shop/product-category/table-saw-fence/

Hi All. I just got this used right-tilt 52" 5HP unisaw off an auction site, and now I'm going through it to get it up to speed.

The cam handle for the unifence is missing, and I see it's no longer available. Also, the 43" L-shaped extrusion itself is pretty galled up where material would ride against it.

Soooooo… I'm thinking of replacing the fence system. I've actually never cared a whole lot for the unifence clamp mechanism. My dad has one and I always fight with it. I end up doing a lot more of "bumping it into place" than precision setting it where I want it.

I called around locally and found a place (Circle Saw) that still has an old Beisemeyer fence setup (the whole caboodle, fence and rails) for $585 (more than I paid for the saw). I like this type of system, though, as that is what I'm used to on my old PM 66.

I see Peachtree has a popular 43" square extrusion that would replace my L shaped fence, but that doesn't solve my handle/clamp dilemma.

Any recommendations for a fence system for this saw?

Todd Burch
06-28-2014, 9:42 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions and replies.

Anybody ever use this Incra TS-LS system?
http://www.incrementaltools.com/INCRA_TS_LS_Table_Saw_Fence_52_Range_p/ls52-ts.htm

Cheaper than the Beisemeyer option I was quoted. I'm used to using my saw's extension table as a work surface (like when putting together face frames with pocket screws, and this setup seems that it would be a bit of a hassle to remove/store/replace when doing other non-cutting activities. Not a deal breaker - just a consideration.

The VSC was interesting, but I wasn't sold. I suspect if they improved their marketing collateral, they would get more takers. $200 for the T-square - to get you started, then you still have to buy rails and an extrusion (or extrusions).

I didn't see anything on the saw center website. Seems like a project to have to talk to a warehouse man to scrounge together a system. Call me lazy.

The T-2 seems to only come in a 30" setup.

Haven't checked out the Vega yet.

Todd

Timothy Wolf
06-28-2014, 11:07 AM
I just put a Shop Fox Classic fence on my Unisaw rebuild a few months back, it seemed like the best mix of quality and price. I think I paid like 375 for the 30" fence system including shipping. I am very happy with my purchase.

Rick Potter
06-29-2014, 12:57 PM
If you want to get some use out of it while deciding, just clean up the face of the Unifence and glue a piece of formica on. Smooth, but thin enough to use the cursor. The handle is fixable.

Rick Potter

Todd Burch
07-02-2014, 10:07 AM
I've made a decision and made my purchases. I've bought the VSCTOOLS t-square fence, 42" extrusion, and a couple handfuls of T-nuts, and I found some NOS older Beisemeyer rails and legs locally. Got the rails and legs already, and should get the fence next week.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

It was interesting, while on the phone with VSC Tools, I was asked what I thought about the videos from Askwoodman. I offered that they were a bit wordy. Mrs. Askwoodman thanked me for me feedback and indicated that a lot of people have the same feeling, but that a lot (more?) appreciate the format, as they never had a formal mentor, as sorts.

Frank Martin
07-02-2014, 1:45 PM
I've made a decision and made my purchases. I've bought the VSCTOOLS t-square fence, 42" extrusion, and a couple handfuls of T-nuts, and I found some NOS older Beisemeyer rails and legs locally. Got the rails and legs already, and should get the fence next week.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

It was interesting, while on the phone with VSC Tools, I was asked what I thought about the videos from Askwoodman. I offered that they were a bit wordy. Mrs. Askwoodman thanked me for me feedback and indicated that a lot of people have the same feeling, but that a lot (more?) appreciate the format, as they never had a formal mentor, as sorts.

At some point I was thinking about this fence as thought it was a great design but then saw a number of negative reviews about fence deflection and decided not to go with it. Make sure you install and test is quickly in case additional customer service follow-up is required. Good luck!

Dennis Aspö
07-03-2014, 2:05 AM
Doesn't unisaw have a fence that can be configured as a short rip fence and long fence, sounds like a good idea to me.

Todd Burch
07-03-2014, 8:27 AM
Yes, the clamps can be loosened and the fence slid front to back. It is a good idea. For cutting on the left slide of the blade, the extrusion can be removed and reattached to the right side of the unifence as well. Compared to the Beisemeyer style fence, which is suitable for cutting on both sides of the blade, the remove/replace requirement of the unifence is a drawback.

Todd Burch
07-07-2014, 10:47 AM
I got the new rails out of the box, and gosh darn - no hardware and no instructions listing what was missing. I found a manual online and ordered what was missing from McMaster - hopefully it will be here this week. (I'm always looking for a reason to order from McMaster, so no big deal…)

Anyone needs Biesemeyer rail hardware, I'll have extra. Or, I can tell you the McMaster part #s. ;)

Todd Burch
07-17-2014, 11:58 PM
The rails are on, and so is the 2X3 tube with the scale. Need to make my 27" x 50" side feed table. I went ahead and bought a Delta outfeed table and still have to assemble and install it. The VSC Tools fence and extrusion are loosely put together - I need to dig out my Allens from storage and get everything squared up good now. Might be able to get to it this weekend…. I need to get this thing completed, as I have a house full of cabinets and built-in pieces to make, plus I have to make a lot of base, door trim and window boxes.

Todd Burch
07-18-2014, 12:00 AM
Oh. Sold the Unifence and side table on CL for $50. He was one happy camper. Uniguard is still waiting on a new owner to find it.

Kelly Craig
07-18-2014, 7:22 PM
Ah foo. I'm using my second Unifence (first saw was a right tilt, current is, of course, a left). I get along well with my Chevy, but would like to pick up a shorty fence to use for stops with the miter bar.

Frank Martin
07-18-2014, 9:49 PM
Ah foo. I'm using my second Unifence (first saw was a right tilt, current is, of course, a left). I get along well with my Chevy, but would like to pick up a shorty fence to use for stops with the miter bar.

Unifence is no Chevy. I had it on my Unisaw and loved it. Now have a Minimax CU300 combo machine, it has a fence similar in design to Unifence, but Uni was better with a much more flat fence and overall more stable.

Kelly Craig
07-18-2014, 10:07 PM
Hey, calling my Unifence a Chevy was a compliment ( I like em both and owned nothing but, until about twenty-five years ago (my first car was a 57 Chev 1/2 ton). That's why I'm using my second [on my second saw]. What I wanted was a short piece of the fence just for stops. Of course, I can slide the main fence back, but that's a lot of cantilever.

Todd Burch
07-22-2014, 3:50 PM
Uniguard sold locally - $50. Biesemeyer rails and VSCTools fence is on and adjusted. Need to build a side feed table now and test it out. Getting close! My list of projects is getting huge.