PDA

View Full Version : My Favorite Georgia Sawmill

Joe Adams
06-27-2014, 10:35 AM
I just wanted to give a shout out to SMC contributor Danny Hamsley and thank him for showing me and my brother around his sawmill in middle Georgia. He's retired from a big lumber company and just does this to keep active. He has a masters degree in Forestry and you could not hope to find a nicer guy to talk wood and woodworking with.

We first visited a year ago but were driving a rental and could only take home a 4-foot live edge, spalted Pecan slab and a similarly sized slab of Walnut crotch. I had never seen air-dried Walnut before and the color character is amazing compared to the commercially kiln (steam) dried stuff at the lumber yard. We even got to help him run his sawmill and cut some slabs off a beautiful Shumard Oak log.

What was cool this year is we brought the truck and were able to buy four live edge 2-inch thick slabs of crotch from the same Shumard Oak we helped slice. We also bought a 2-foot wide, 10-foot long 2-inch thick slab of quartersawn Sycamore with amazing figure. And to top it all off, a 5-inch thick 1-foot by 7-foot air dried Walnut slab that we plan to resaw and bookmatch into a table top.

We lusted after a stack of quartersawn White Oak but it is still air drying for at least another few months. I hope he'll save us some for the next trip. Danny has a stockpile of various woods drying under cover around his property so it's hard to choose what to take back to Texas. He also makes furniture so don't even try to talk him out of his private reserve of curly Cherry. Most of the logs he saws come from his property although some unusual specimens are sourced from local loggers.

I would encourage anyone in the area (or visiting relatives in Georgia like me) to contact him through Sawmill Creek and see about making a visit.

See you next year my friend!

Danny Hamsley
06-27-2014, 9:22 PM
Thank you Joe for the kind words. It is really neat to meet other people here, and I have had the pleasure to meet a few. Recently, a SMC member drove over from Augusta, GA, got some wood, and made the most beautiful bed. He is Bill Arnott. Bill, if you see this thread, please post a pic of that beautiful bed. Another member here from Atlanta, Wallis Hampson, made a beautiful pecan table from some of my wood. I never ceased to be amazed by the skill exhibited by many of the members here. Not every one is blessed by the supply of nice wood like I have, and really enjoy meeting people who appreciate wood.

Scott T Smith
06-27-2014, 10:21 PM
Two thumbs up for Danny! He is one of my "go to" people for questions about tree and wood species. His subject matter knowledge is extensive.

Richard N Elliott
06-27-2014, 11:46 PM
I have GOT to get to your place! I'm in Kennesaw and would love some of that quarter sawn white oak! :D

Andrew Howe
06-28-2014, 12:06 AM
Me too I am I roswell and would like some of that quartersawn oak

Danny Hamsley
06-28-2014, 7:39 AM
Thanks Scott. Richard and Andrew, Scott also saws and drys quartersawn white oak. He saws some of the largest and best quality trees that you can imagine. Here is a link to his website: http://www.quartersawnoak.com/

For you guys in the Atlanta area, it might not be too far to drive down and get some of that white oak when it gets ready. I am air drying it a while before putting it in the kiln. It is really nice wood. Also, I have some very nice quartersawn sycamore that is also drying and will be ready in a month or two.

Ronald Blue
06-28-2014, 11:16 AM
I had the privilege of meeting Danny last year when I played courier for some sycamore that Ron Bontz was needing for saw handles. If I am in his area again I will have to check out his mill and inventory. Either way it was a pleasure to meet two fellow creekers.

Joe Adams
06-28-2014, 5:08 PM
It's well worth the drive just to meet Danny. First class creeker!