PDA

View Full Version : Drag me out to the rust hunt

Cody Kemble
06-26-2014, 9:42 PM
This past weekend I was drug out of the shop by my wife to go to a few yard sales. I'm usually into it, but I really wanted to finish up a few small projects. I ended up with 2 Langdon mitre boxes with saws, (74 and a 74c I believe) a Hercules smoother for a dollar, a D-23, sliding bevel, and some stones. Definitely the most productive hunt so far and all for a total of $30. I now have more projects to keep me busy. I have no idea what kind of sharpening stones these are but they came with the 74.

Cody Kemble
06-26-2014, 9:46 PM
Photos for proof

bridger berdel
06-26-2014, 11:49 PM
how about some close ups of the stones?

Cody Kemble
06-28-2014, 4:28 PM
Close up of the stones. They are all about 6 x 2.

bridger berdel
06-28-2014, 9:22 PM
those all look silicon carbide to me. SC can be good for rough work- I don't have any that are what I'd call "fine".

Cody Kemble
06-28-2014, 11:06 PM
Even if I use them to put a nice edge on axe or mower blade they were worth it. I can always use them for rough shaping or primary bevels. I have very little knowledge of stones. I went from sandpaper on glass to a worksharp and now I finish on diamond paste on cast iron (and a strop). Even as a kid in scouts I was horrible at sharpening my pocket knife with a whetstone. It can't be impossible for me to learn. It has just taken awhile. Thanks for your help Bridger.

bridger berdel
06-29-2014, 1:31 PM
those stones can be useful. these days I do most of that work with bench grinders, but still from there the grinder work gets cleaned up a little with coarse stones before moving up the grits