PDA

View Full Version : Help me make a radial arm decision

Dan Masshardt
06-26-2014, 1:43 PM
Do mostly turning but have a decent sized shop and some flat work tools.

I have a ridgid radial arm saw that's a much more recent model and just acquired an old dewalt. Both are 10" saws.

I know many are getting rid of them but I like having a radial arm saw. But not sure I need two.

I could keep both, but...

So, which one to get rid of? The dewalt is old and rock solid. Te ridgid is at a better height as is and has an integrated mobile base. Does any of the modern safety stuff or other advancements make it advantageous?

Or should I just keep both given that the market for these is abysmal?

Thanks for the input.

Dennis Nagle
06-26-2014, 1:48 PM
I like my tools built like a tank so I vote for the DeWalt for sure.

John McClanahan
06-26-2014, 2:25 PM
Most RAS people will pick the DeWalt.

John

Cary Falk
06-26-2014, 3:17 PM
I love my DeWalt GWI but I son't keep old for the sake of old. It needs to fit my needs function wise. I assume you bought the DeWalt for a reason if you already had the Ridgid. Ask yourself the following qusestions and choose accordingly.
1)Which one holds the settings the best?
2)Which one do you enjoy using more?
3) Which one has the the better crosscut capacity?
4)Are the ways worn on the DeWalt(deal killer)?
5)Which one is more accurate?
6)Which one looks most like this one? :D Just kidding around on this one.....maybe a little bit
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0538.jpg

Charles Taylor
06-26-2014, 3:19 PM
I have a Craftsman very similar to your Ridgid except without the newer style guard. I too would pick the DeWalt.

Bill Orbine
06-26-2014, 6:47 PM
If I saw a Rigid RAS on the side of road with a "FREE" sign while I'm on my way to buy an advertised Dewalt RAS, I'm gonna keep on going on my way!

Dan Masshardt
06-26-2014, 7:48 PM
If I saw a Rigid RAS on the side of road with a "FREE" sign while I'm on my way to buy an advertised Dewalt RAS, I'm gonna keep on going on my way!

Haha. Point taken. I think I knew it was the right choice. Just needed a little conformation.

John TenEyck
06-26-2014, 8:56 PM
Right choice.

John

Myk Rian
06-26-2014, 9:54 PM
DeWalt.
http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad222/MykRian/DeWalt%20MBF%20RAS/0423001511b.jpg

Doug Ladendorf
06-26-2014, 10:46 PM
Clearly you should keep the Ridgid. It's nice and shiny. I'll be over this weekend to help you get rid of that old, heavy Dewalt. ;)

Jerome Hanby
06-27-2014, 2:34 PM
If you have room for two, lock the Dewalt at 90 degrees and get it perfect. Set the Ridgid for 45 and lock it down. Then you just need one more for the other 45...

Kent A Bathurst
06-27-2014, 3:14 PM
Go big or go home. ;)

Original Saw Company.

..........says the guy who has never owned, and will never own, an RAS. But - I might just change my mind for one of those critters. :D

Tom Howarth
06-27-2014, 5:54 PM
I'd go with the DeWalt. It has a "cool" factor.

Wayne Jolly
07-04-2014, 1:24 PM
Switch tables and keep the DeWalt. :D

Wayne

Peter Quinn
07-04-2014, 2:12 PM
If somebody tried to give me the rigid there would be an argument. I don't need that. I'd take the DeWalt unless there were something very seriously wrong with it beyond repair at a reasonable cost. I was using my old DeWalt GR today with a big dado, always amazed at what a machine that is. If somebody offered me a new original saw I'd put the old Dewalt out by the road with a free sign in an instant, I'm not nostalgic that way and the original saw's really are very sweet, but I'm not willing to shell out $5K for the pleasure. I like the blade brakes, the carriage recoil mechanism, the front of arm controls, the perfectly smooth bearings (I could get mine there for a few hundred dollars in repairs and bearings). But the rigid? I see a plastic blade guard that looks more nuisance than safety and not enough structure to remain rigid under load. Do you have a preference as far as use goes? I have not actually used a rigid, they just don't look beefy enough from here.

Henry Kramer
07-04-2014, 11:48 PM
No brainer. DeWalt!

Dan Masshardt
07-05-2014, 12:11 AM
Thanks guys. The ridgid is up for sale.

Trying to keep the ridgid base with the dewalt is an interesting idea.

The dewalt insomuch lower than I'm used to but used it the other night and it felt fine.

My plan is to buy a decent blade with the proceeds of the other saw.

And probably bulld a new table.