PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Burl Heaven!

Doug W Swanson
06-26-2014, 12:25 PM
I'm not sure what Heaven is like but I wonder if it includes Cherry Burls like these!:D

My friend, Pat, was removing some trees from his property and was going to add these to his burn pile.:eek:

His buddy said 'Guys with lathes really like these burls' so that made Pat think of me.

I went and picked these up last night and noticed about 6 more large burls in a fresh cut pile of Cherry and Oak. I hope to get those burls and some regular Cherry in a few weeks.

Some of these are still fairly green but some have dried out a bit. The dry ones have a few cracks but those will make great pens, stoppers and smaller items. Either way, I'll save them from the fire pit....:)

Paul Williams
06-26-2014, 4:04 PM
Great haul Doug. Worthy of a gloat. Now it looks like you have your work cut out for you.
A few years ago a friend gave me some cutoffs from cherry and oak burls. He does mostly large stuff and didn't want the smaller pieces. They made great pens and small projects, so you will still get good looking wood out of those that have cracked while drying.

charlie knighton
06-26-2014, 4:13 PM
enjoy, Doug

jwjerry w kowalski
06-26-2014, 5:40 PM
I'm drooling with envy, cherry burl is my favorite.