PDA

View Full Version : hanging marble or granite plaques

Lynn Kull
07-01-2005, 11:02 AM
Does anyone have a simple way of attaching a device to the back of a marble or granite plaque to make it hang on the wall? I would like to use something I could just stick on the back of the plaque but don't know what I could trust to do this? thanks Lynn

Lee DeRaud
07-01-2005, 11:10 AM
Does anyone have a simple way of attaching a device to the back of a marble or granite plaque to make it hang on the wall? I would like to use something I could just stick on the back of the plaque but don't know what I could trust to do this? thanks LynnDepending on how permanant you want it, that mastic stuff the mirror hangers use would probably work. Otherwise, I'd probably epoxy something to the back and use regular picture hardware.

(The multiple use of the word "probably" in this post indicates that there's (probably) a really good reason why I put frames around things like these...I just wish I could remember what it is. :D )

Jerry Allen
07-01-2005, 6:14 PM
I have used Liquid Nails type of construction adhesive with about a 4"x6" hunk of tempered hardboard (Masonite). One one I used a screw sticking out of the hardboard to attach a "V" type hanger, on the other I cut a "V" shaped hole tapered towards the granite, and on a third I beveled the 4x6 strip point down and toward the wall and the piece on the wall tapered to provide a continuous hook. They are all still hanging. I do not have any idea what the minimum surface could be. But the larger the surface, the less weight per share inch of bonded hardboard. I also glued some 1" squares in the lower corners to keep it even on the wall except on the one with the two interlocking beveled edges which didn't really need it.

Keith Outten
07-01-2005, 9:10 PM
Lynn,

I haven't tried this yet but my idea is to use a very thin grinding wheel and machine a thin slot at an angle in the back of the tile. A very small metal hanger could then be attached using epoxy adhesive. Rubber baby buggy bumpers would be installed on the two lower corners so that the plaque would hang properly on the wall.

mark garcia
06-11-2006, 1:07 PM
we are wanting to purchase a laser engraver. is "photograv" the best software? any reccomendations?

Joe Pelonio
06-12-2006, 10:13 AM
You can also drill into the back with a special glass/ceramic bit (tiny diamond bits on a steel shaft) then insert small eyescrews with epoxy
to hold them in and use picture hanging wire.