PDA

View Full Version : Epilog laser head crash

Boyd Godfrey
06-26-2014, 1:16 AM
Cut several pieces of acetate today on our 24TT, I noticed a spelling error on the piece that was being lasered and stopped the machine and cancelled the job in the computer print buffer and switched off then restarted the laser. Upon starting the next cut job I told the machine to auto-focus; as soon as the print file was sent, the platten on the laser came up and wouldn't stop coming up until I yanked the power cord out of the wall.
While this was happening I could hear the gears skipping and the platten had actually forced the gantry out of it's track on the left side of the machine. I did eventually get the gantry wheels back into the track but now it looks like the gantry is slightly crooked along the Y axis. Wondering if one of the belts slipped a few cogs...any ideas how to fix? - Boyd
FWIW I've noticed issues like this under similar circumstances before. We run a Windows 7, 32 bit machine running Corel X5

Robert Walters
06-26-2014, 2:15 AM
How long have you been noticing this issue?

What firmware version are you using?

It looks like the latest FW addressed an auto-focus issue; it could be a fix or a bug, depending.
http://www.epiloglaser.com/tech-support/legend-drivers.htm

Firmware: 1.40.12.12

This version of firmware increases the Auto Focus adjustment distance to accommodate a wider range of focus lenses.

Boyd Godfrey
06-26-2014, 8:53 AM
Robert, I'm not at the shop at present but I do know the firmware is fairly current as we only got this machine in January.
I'll check to be sure once I get to work.
My big concern at the moment is how to get the gantry squared up as we have a job waiting to be cut. - Boyd

Robert Walters
06-26-2014, 9:55 AM
Post photos as soon as you can, so everyone can see exactly what you are talking about and give input.
It's difficult to diagnose by description alone.

If a FW bug caused this, I would expect epilog to pay for damages, especially if it's under warranty..

Boyd Godfrey
06-26-2014, 10:01 AM
Post photos as soon as you can, so everyone can see exactly what you are talking about and give input.
It's difficult to diagnose by description alone.

If a FW bug caused this, I would expect epilog to pay for damages, especially if it's under warranty..

I will post a photo; this is a 2003 machine that we purchased from the original owner last winter. Warranty has looong since expired ;-)

Kev Williams
06-26-2014, 11:36 AM
2003? Are you connected by USB, ethernet, parallel port or serial port?

I've had more than a few machine malfunctions due to data errors caused by serial and parallel cables.

As for auto focus, if a wire came loose or the microswitch is bad, the thing won't know to stop once it starts--

To straighten your gantry- you probably have some set screws that hold the Y-axis drive rods in place. Just loosen the far left or right one (doesn't matter which), then you should be able to move the gantry back to square. Tighten the rod and run a few tests (just cut some right angles out of paper) to verify square. Adjust as necessary. Doesn't take too long! :)

Boyd Godfrey
06-26-2014, 12:24 PM
Kev this is connected via usb, also this isn't a ballscrew machine it's steppers and drive belts.
A little hard to see but the left side of the gantry is further away from the camera than the right side by 3/8" +-292010

Boyd Godfrey
06-26-2014, 12:32 PM
Confirmed firmware, ours is 01 40 12 14

Glen Monaghan
06-26-2014, 12:36 PM
Not steppers, servo motors (FWIW).

Boyd Godfrey
06-26-2014, 1:47 PM
Right you are Glen!
Problem solved-ish;
Spoke with Epilog customer support and I have to say their good reputation is well deserved as they seem to have a pretty high idiot tolerance level.
Joey talked me through the disassembly and adjustments and now we're running as well as we ever did.
Still haven't figured out the cause of the initial problem yet though...

Robert Walters
06-26-2014, 3:14 PM
Still haven't figured out the cause of the initial problem yet though...

Did you ask them about firmware?

Have you checked your firmware version?

Kev Williams
06-26-2014, 4:38 PM
... also this isn't a ballscrew machine it's steppers and drive belts.

This is what I'm talking about-- loosen one of these screws. This disconnects the gantry drive shaft from the gantry drive belt cog, allowing you to move that side of the gantry until it's square- then just tighten the screw--

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/shaftscrews.jpg

Dan Hintz
06-26-2014, 4:57 PM
Yikes, Kev... give that baby a proper cleaning!

Boyd Godfrey
06-26-2014, 6:28 PM
Kev - Epilog had me loosen the belt tensioners on the back of the machine and then reposition the head.
Same net result but it looks like your method may have been easier. - Thanks!