PDA

View Full Version : stand for Grizzly G0441

Derek Voigt
06-25-2014, 9:10 AM
So I'm getting ready to start setting up my new to me Grizzly cyclone. I don't want to wall mount it because I don't want to transmit the vibration through the rest of the house. So that means I'll have to have a stand. It seems like I could make a stand pretty easy from a dozen 2x4s as opposed to buying the grizzly stand for almost $300.

Anyone do this before or have any opinions on why I should buy instead of make?

Thanks,
Derek

Wade Lippman
06-25-2014, 9:55 AM
I actually used 7 2x4s, a 2x12 and some plywood; but 12 2x4s would probably work.
I couldn't justify the cost of a grizzly stand.

Jamie Buxton
06-25-2014, 10:19 AM
On my cyclone, I wanted to keep the footprint as small as possible, to keep space for other tools. A small footprint meant that the thing was going to be tippy, which is not a good idea, particularly in earthquake country. But, like you, I didn't want to inject noise and vibration into the building structure. So I built a narrow stand, and prevented tipping by securing it to the wall. To isolate vibration, I made pads with that foam slip-over pipe insulation.

Derek Voigt
06-25-2014, 11:20 AM
I actually used 7 2x4s, a 2x12 and some plywood; but 12 2x4s would probably work.
I couldn't justify the cost of a grizzly stand.

yea my thoughts too. Any pictures?

Robert Payne
06-25-2014, 6:12 PM
Not a Grizzly, but here is what I did for my ClearVue CV-1800. It is in a 9' high crawl space under my shop on a concrete pad. Made with 2x4's for verticals and 2x6's for the cross pieces. Kept the vibration off the adjacent block walls (separated by 2" on back and right sides from this view).

Jim Andrew
06-25-2014, 10:28 PM
When I hung my cyclone, I bolted some boards to the wall, drilled holes in the boards to mount the cyclone, but went oversize enough to use a rubber hose as a bushing. Also cut rubber washers which I put flat over the boards, used big washers to keep everything together, so my cyclone is mounted on rubber, like an engine mount in a vehicle. No issues at all.