PDA

View Full Version : Adding interest to patch on 17" ash crotch

Bob Bergstrom
06-24-2014, 10:29 PM
The main interest in this crotch bowl seemed to be the fissure that went right down the middle. I could see light through at least 1/2 the inclusion. On the back I filled it with a combination of red and black line chalk mixed into 5 minute epoxy. Then I use a Saber tooth bit on my Dremel to cut some small leaf like markings. On the front I decided to drive small wedges of cherry bark into the crevice. I then filled what was left with the epoxy mixture again. After sanding I applied two coats of Formby's gloss oil. Brown shoe polish was rubbed into the pours and after overnight drying, I buffed off the excess with #0000 steel wool. That was followed by two coats of lacquer. The cherry bark shows up as small irregular pieces with growth lines in it. May have to keep a variety of bark on hand to try different contrasts. The bowl is 17" in diameter and 3" deep. Feel free to add comments or suggestions.

John Keeton
06-25-2014, 6:00 AM
Bob, you consistently make nice bowls!! The contrast in the fill is interesting and the small carvings are a little surprise. I am not sure they are needed, though. I did expect to see some of your well done cove embellishment around the foot - always a nice touch IMO.