PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel Repellent

Chris Padilla
06-24-2014, 8:47 PM
Chime in. What do you use? We have a huge oak tree in our yard (Squirrel Hilton) and the squirrels love chewing on the various plastic items in my backyard.

I guess I'd like a spray of some kind.

What have you found that works or doesn't work.

Thanks!

Von Bickley
06-24-2014, 9:07 PM
Ruger 10/22

Lowes and WalMart also carries a spray repellent that will probably work. I can't remember the name of this product but it is in a white plastic spray container with a lot of pictures of pest and varmints on the cover.
This stuff smells terrible...... Will make you gag when you smell it....... It might work if you can stand the smell........ I like the Ruger.

Jim Becker
06-24-2014, 9:22 PM
Anything made with HOT pepper is...um...sometimes...effective.

steven c newman
06-24-2014, 11:13 PM
I have a few squirrels around, beings I live IN town, i can't shoot them. However, I don't need to spray anything, I just have to buy Dog Food. I then just let the Fleabag earn her keep by chsing the "Rat with fancy clothes" off the property. She stops at the fence, Fuzzy-Butt keeps on going...

steven taggart
06-24-2014, 11:46 PM
Habanero peppers ground up and soaked with water works. Or just screw a rat trap baited with peanut butter to the tree.

Curt Harms
06-25-2014, 8:21 AM
SWMBO enjoys the little things. They have free feed sunflower seeds and in-shell peanuts. They don't chew anything else.

James Tibbetts
06-25-2014, 8:24 AM
I'm with Von. Battered; pan fried.

Chuck Darney
06-25-2014, 10:06 AM
Squirrel REPELLENT?!? You're kidding, right? The best I can hope for is to scare them enough from digging out the potted plants.

Kev Williams
06-25-2014, 10:54 AM
Most animals don't like turpentine. You might try a garden pump sprayer and spray turpentine all up an into the Hilton, and around the base, maybe they'll move...

Kevin Bourque
06-25-2014, 12:31 PM
.410 or .22 seems to keep them away.:)

Mike Wilkins
06-25-2014, 12:33 PM
I once watched a lady use a paintball gun to run off some geese that were invading her deck and pooping all over place. On a regular basis. Those moving targets make for some good target practice.

ray hampton
06-25-2014, 1:16 PM
since Cal. state are different try to teach a falcon to hunt the squirrels [falcon hawk ]

Jim Rimmer
06-25-2014, 1:26 PM
We have a huge oak tree in our yard

Seriously! :confused: And you want to get rid of squirrels. Really :D

Myk Rian
06-25-2014, 2:36 PM
1. A 5 gallon bucket half filled with water, and a layer of sunflower seeds floating on top. Gets squirrels and chipmunks.
2. A 1,000fps pellet gun.
3. A 22cal rifle.

Erik Loza
06-25-2014, 3:51 PM
I actually live-trap them, then relocate to another neighborhood (LOL)...

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i315/erikloza/Smilies/Squirrel.jpg

Urban neighborhood for us, so "high-velocity projectiles" not an option(as much as I wish I could....). We have a bird feeder and I do not mind squirrels here or there but they get accustomed to free food and then I have a dozen. So, I just trap them, then take them to some other area. No joke: "Honey, Starbucks run. I got a couple of squirrels". I think my record is six in one day.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Lee Schierer
06-25-2014, 5:01 PM
I actually live-trap them, then relocate to another neighborhood (LOL)...

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i315/erikloza/Smilies/Squirrel.jpg

Urban neighborhood for us, so "high-velocity projectiles" not an option(as much as I wish I could....). We have a bird feeder and I do not mind squirrels here or there but they get accustomed to free food and then I have a dozen. So, I just trap them, then take them to some other area. No joke: "Honey, Starbucks run. I got a couple of squirrels". I think my record is six in one day.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

A few years ago we had a Red Squirrel getting into the house and trying to chew up fruit we had stored in the garage. It was moving apples all over the garage. I set a live trap and had him the next morning. I dropped it off 2 miles from our house on the way to work. He beat me home as he was in the garage getting apples when I got home from work. I caught him a second time and this time I relocated him over 5 miles away. He didn't return.

Phil Thien
06-25-2014, 5:41 PM
Roy can't tell a good squirrel from a bad one. So he kills them all and lets God sort them out.

Pat Barry
06-25-2014, 7:08 PM
You have a huge oak tree. It is impossible to keep squirrels away. Want to get them to leave - cut down the huge oak tree.

David G Baker
06-25-2014, 7:23 PM
I live trap them until there are only a few left. We had a family of 7 foxes here for a while and that kept them out of site but I think the foxes have moved on so the squirrels are back in force. It is time to set the traps again. I use the black sun flower seed as bait, it works on almost all of the critters. I have a nuisance raccoon that isn't falling for the bait so I will have to change my strategies for it. I also transfer the critters to a natural habitat or a state forest that is at least 5 miles away. I can shoot them but my aim is terrible.

Jim A Walters
06-25-2014, 11:18 PM
Last year we had a squirrel hanging out near my son's Jeep. I think he was licking road salt or something underneath. He also chewed the gas line. We didn't know it until my son drove his Jeep to play soccer. When he got there he smelled gas and saw a little puddle underneath. I went to check it out and had him click on the ignition to start the fuel pump. It sprayed gas out in several places and very near the muffler and tailpipe. The holes it chewed weren't big enough to keep the Jeep from running but big enough to lay down a nice trail of fuel the 4 or 5 miles to the soccer field. Had to have it towed but glad it didn't go up in flames.

Jim

Jim Matthews
06-26-2014, 7:07 AM
Roy can't tell a good squirrel from a bad one. So he kills them all and lets God sort them out.

Good Dog, Roy.

Jim Matthews
06-26-2014, 7:11 AM
I had a small family cribbing on the Cedar shingles that cover the side of my house.

I have no idea why the little vermin do something like this, and don't much care.
If they had naked tails, people wouldn't think they were cute.

I sprayed a (n apparently) bitter compound on the patch they were shredding and got a dog.
Mine isn't as competent as Phil's dog Roy, but they've backed away from the house proper.

The worst was when I had one trying to nest in my basement rafters - where I have my shop.
It took strategy, well placed plywood "chutes" my hockey stick and an open bulkhead to evict the trespasser.

I hate these climbing rats, passionately.

ray hampton
06-26-2014, 5:01 PM
may I suggest that you could eat them

Myk Rian
06-26-2014, 9:46 PM
Ding, ding. We have a winner. :)

ray hampton
06-27-2014, 10:46 AM
Ding, ding. We have a winner. :)

and what did I win ? squirrels to eat I hope

Chris Padilla
06-27-2014, 11:58 AM
Funny stuff! I just want to keep them from chewing up the various plastic items I have in the backyard. I figured some kind of cayenne pepper spray on the plastic items might dissuade them from chewing them up. That is all I'm looking for. I found various sprays but just wondered of any experience here from the collective.

Kevin Bourque
06-27-2014, 3:58 PM

Just don't forget to remove the pellets first.

Kevin Godshall
06-29-2014, 4:27 PM
Enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=squirrel+catapault

Pat Barry
06-29-2014, 10:01 PM
Funny stuff! I just want to keep them from chewing up the various plastic items I have in the backyard. I figured some kind of cayenne pepper spray on the plastic items might dissuade them from chewing them up. That is all I'm looking for. I found various sprays but just wondered of any experience here from the collective.
Wait, I missed that. Why are squirrels chewing on plastic? That is very strange behavior. Nothing I've ever seen before

Clarence Martin
06-30-2014, 2:34 PM
12 Gauge, 22 LR or you could go for the Squirrel Catapult!!:D

David Weaver
06-30-2014, 3:37 PM

They don't like pepper, but whatever it's applied with has to be based on something that doesn't wash off in the rain.

Trouble is, I guess, that if you sit on pepper spray and it transfers to your skin, you'll feel like you rubbed on an anti-arthritis balm.

David Weaver
06-30-2014, 3:38 PM
Wait, I missed that. Why are squirrels chewing on plastic? That is very strange behavior. Nothing I've ever seen before

They chew up garbage can lids, container lids (plastic ones) and plastic bird feeders here.

Pat Barry
06-30-2014, 4:37 PM
They chew up garbage can lids, container lids (plastic ones) and plastic bird feeders here.
I suppose if there is something inside those things they want they will find a way to get through. Reminds me of my old Lab (avatar) - she wanted a tennis ball that was stuck inside our new reclining couch so she went through the side panel to get her ball. She also decided that the basement carpeting had something she wanted under it so she tore up a strip that looked like a piece of sod - at least about that size.

Chris Padilla
07-03-2014, 12:12 PM
The plastic wheels on my roll around barbeque grill have been chewed into no longer working. The plastic "base/floor" to a small shed I put up a year ago is getting chewed on. Some of the PVC plumbing for my pool is getting chewed on. I think they like sharpening their teeth on plastic. The tables and chairs we have are wood so they leave those alone. Any cardboard I happen to leave out gets chewed on. Oh, I have some plastic lumber (milk jug lumber) in my outdoor wood pile: chewed on! Maybe I should put the plastic lumber out in various spots and see if they'll focus on that and leave my other items alone.

Shawn Pixley
07-03-2014, 2:13 PM
I had squirrels living in the attic of my house in Seattle. I ultimately was able to drive them out with ammonia. They certainly hated that.

Phil Thien
07-03-2014, 5:26 PM
I had squirrels living in the attic of my house in Seattle. I ultimately was able to drive them out with ammonia. They certainly hated that.

Those were wimp squirrels. I've used ammonia, bleach, mothballs, all of it. All I had was really clean squirrels.

ray hampton
07-03-2014, 6:03 PM
Those were wimp squirrels. I've used ammonia, bleach, mothballs, all of it. All I had was really clean squirrels.

I am hoping that you are smart enough NOT to mix ammonia and bleach [Clorox

if you set a bowl of wine out for the squirrel to DRINK then you can salt their tails BUT WAIT UNTIL they are good and drunk

Lee Schierer
07-03-2014, 7:22 PM
My daughter had a large spruce tree in her front yard that they decorated with several strings of Christmas lights. They left them up after the hoidays, but didn't turn them on. The next year when they tried to use the lights again most of the wire had been chewed off by the squirrels.

Get a couple of cats that roam free and your squirrel problem will diminish markedly.

You can also get a powerful sling shot and shot marbles or ball bearings at them. One of these is pretty easy to use and shoots pretty fast.292319

Chris Padilla
07-08-2014, 1:26 PM
We have a cat but she's an indoor cat. She does whine and meow when she sees squirrels bouncing around the ground and we occasionally let her out to chase them but she tends to bring fleas into the house when we let her out and that isn't a fun problem to deal with.

Don Morris
07-08-2014, 3:07 PM
For years I tried every device known to mankind. Went through every "Squirrel Proof" bird feeder manufactured. Squirrels are unbelievable in their abilities to think around the problems put before them. The Eastern Grey Squirrel is one of the ten most successful animals around. If you go to the Smithsonian Zoo in DC you can see a display that shows their brain size in comparison to their body size is large. I finally in desperation tried this to keep them from getting to my song bird feeders, of which I have several. They are 24" X 36" sheets of metal from HD. I have two, one for the ground placed hanging feeder which they seem not to be able to climb up the pole and get around. The other is for the tree hanging wood pole suet feeder that they drop down to then slide off and fall to the ground. They did that a couple times, then stopped. You can't place either close to branches of trees or they will/can jump up to 6' to land on the feeders.

Shawn Pixley
07-08-2014, 4:33 PM

It was a family of squirrels. The house was a 1920's craftsman with enclosed soffits. I was able to drive them from the main attic to the soffits. From above I was able to drive them to one corner where they had chewed a hole in the wood gutters. To get them out of there I needed to get there from outside the house. The corner was about 20' up from a concrete driveway. I was able to get the babies out with me on the ground. I climbed up the extension ladder and shot straight ammonia (household strength not anhydrous) and ended up shooting momma squirrel in the face. She leapt straight out of the hole at my face. I jerked myself out of the way and the extension ladder left contact with the house. The squirrel landed on the neighbors concrete drive, shook itself off, and ran to some neighbors' trees. My audience was laughing hysterically at my antics on the ladder. I must have been a sight. I patched the wooden gutter with a little sheet metal and the squirrels never came back. Ammonia in the face works really well. Get a good squirt gun.