PDA

View Full Version : Maple butcher block with Watco oil

Steven J Corpstein
07-01-2005, 7:33 AM
I have a Maple butcher block for a workbench top and decided to refinish it several weeks ago. I stripped the original factory lacquer finish with chemical, then planed it flat with several hand planes. I then went over it with 320 grit sandpaper.

I decided to use Watco Danish oil and put several really heavy applications on it, keeping it flooded until the wood didn't soak up any more. It's been curing/drying for about 3 - 4 weeks now and I am still having trouble with the surface.

The surface was like glass after it dried, but then got gritty or fuzzy feeling several days later. I attributed that to excess oil boiling up in the heat of the Summer. I lightly sanded it again using 320 grit, but it reverted back to that gritty feel after several days again.

Do I need to use a wipe-on poly over the top to eliminate this? I can't imagine that it is still oozing excess oil after a month? I really wanted to just leave the oil for the final finish and just top with a good paste wax. Sorry for such a long post.

John Hart
07-01-2005, 7:42 AM
Hi Steven,

This is pretty much the nature of maple endgrain butcher block tops. I've had good luck with walnut oil. In fact, I just finished one top about 3 months ago and it's still smooth today. I'm happy with it. You can find walnut oil in the grocery store.

Seems to me Jim Becker has some good ideas too.

Jim Becker
07-01-2005, 10:06 AM
Watco, despite it being called "danish oil" is an oil-varnish. It should not remain sticky if it was fresh when you applied it. Putting another varnish product over it (including polyurethane) may not solve the problem if the original finish isn't curing. You may have to strip and start over.

Honestly, my finish of choice for work surfaces like this is just BLO.