PDA

View Full Version : glue lines in veneer

TAMI WILSON
06-24-2014, 8:30 AM
291898Trying to laser the round us air force seal approx. 12" keep running into visible lines where the veneer is glued together. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Tami

Ross Moshinsky
06-24-2014, 8:48 AM
Isn't that where the boards are glued together? You're going to have to look for a source which can offer a solid piece of wood. Expect to pay a premium for this...

Bill Stearns
06-24-2014, 9:58 AM
Hi -
I see where JDS is offering a "new" line of laserable hardwoods by Rowmark: 1/8" and 1/4" thicknesses. Wonder how that might work for you? Might want' a call 'em to discuss your project; they're always so helpful. (Cherry, Maple, Red Oak, Walnut.) page 26 in their newest catalog. BTW : I sometimes use CorelDraw's 3-D function when engraving some of these types of jobs - logos, etc. - makes the letters and images "pop"! - Good Luck!

Bill

Mike Null
06-24-2014, 10:13 AM
Ross has a good idea but it is not always possible to find solid wood. There is another issue in that it is more prone to bowing or cupping than joined wood. Now that you have paid the price take the time to examine the plaques you are going to use for glue lines and badly matched wood color and grain.

I have a number of things I use to color the glue line. My favorite is shellac colored with Transtint stain. (buy from Rockler or on line) I can usually color it well enough to be imperceptible. Don't be afraid to use colored markers from Michaels. DNA is your friend here as most of these are soluble with DNA. (you may find that brown wax shoe polish will solve your problem--if not mineral spirits will remove it)

I also avoid engraving wood altogether as much as possible favoring sublimation or laser engraved metals which are more predictable.

The picture on the left shows another option and that is using other materials to minimize burning into the wood. I believe this was a 16 x 24 cherry plaque.

TAMI WILSON
06-24-2014, 10:37 AM
Bill
I actually tried it on Rowmark hardwoods with the same result. It had glue lines as well.

Bill Stearns
06-24-2014, 10:55 AM
Hi again -

Wonder if it might have to do with the care given to gluing sections together? I had a wood-working friend do this wall/plaque for me - four separate 12" x 24" pieces of Alder. (specially ordered from a lumber company.) - total length 4 ft. I engraved a zillion contributor's names; even the smallest text came together flawlessly using CorelDraw. After engraving each plank, I was amazed he was able to put the wood together so seamlessly! Didn't experience any problem with glue-marks. (Oh, the sales I initially lost out on telling people I could only do 12" x 14".) Side Note: Hey Mike - hope you're doing well!

Bill

Paul Hinds
06-24-2014, 11:18 AM
Wow, those glue lines are horrible. That's a really bad job of putting veneer pieces together. You should look for a vendor who has a better product. The joint lines should not be visible from the front. Bill's example in the post right above this is how it should be.

Mike Null
06-24-2014, 11:20 AM
Bill

Your friend did an expert job of matching the wood and then joining it. His care in matching so well helped conceal the glue joint too.

All is well here in River City thank you.

Kev Williams
06-24-2014, 1:20 PM
Almost looks like they used tape instead of glue...

Bert Kemp
06-24-2014, 5:43 PM
Woodworkers Source has BB in 1/4 & 1/8 in 12 x 12