PDA

View Full Version : Floor Finish for Table Tops/etc

Mark W Pugh
06-24-2014, 7:11 AM
Just thinking out of the box. Wouldn't floor poly hardwood finish work for finishing items that get a lot of usage? Thinking of bar tops, table tops, counter tops, etc. Just comparing prices and durability. I figure if the finish is used on flooring, it should stand up to darn near anything a person would throw at it.

Something like this. http://www.bona.com/en-US/United-States1/BonaSystem/Coatings/Finishes/

Again, just thinking out loud.

Lee Schierer
06-24-2014, 8:19 AM
I made a bathroom vanity for my son and his family and used Varathane Diamond Floor Finish to get extra durability. It has worked well for over 8 years so far.
Urethane is available in various durometers and I suspect that floor finishes simply are a formulated to be a bit harder than finishes used on cabinets to give you better wearability.

Tom M King
06-24-2014, 9:00 AM
I have moisture cure urethane on a bar top I built in 1991, and there is still not even a scratch on it. I'd use Bona Traffic HD, these days.

Erik Christensen
06-24-2014, 4:21 PM
the water based polys that I have used that say "floor finish" on the can all had Al oxide in the mix to add abrasion resistance at the expense of some clarity. not that I could tell the difference and when I wanted a long wearing finish that is what i have most often used. Keep in mind that "durability" means difference things depending on usage - for floors it is abrasion resistance but for bar tops it might mean liquid resistance including alcohols.