PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in LA for a week.

Steve Kennedy
06-23-2014, 9:42 PM
Hi Yall,
Haven't been too active here lately. Retired but ended up with 3 part time jobs. Staying real busy.
I'm in LA ( and I don't mean Lower Alabama ) for about two weeks. Lots of free time so I was wondering if there are any turning venues, stores, tool suppliers I should be checking out.
I have time out here but nothing to work with. Any good places to spend some mad money? I have wheels. Thanks

Dennis Nagle
06-23-2014, 10:31 PM
stay out of Compton!

Steve Kennedy
06-23-2014, 10:38 PM
I know. I do some video work for Fox Sports. Was on top of a press box in Compton couple of years ago filming a high school football game. Shots fired at a 7/11 store across the street. Didn't take long to get out of there. That's why I'm looking for some nice quiet interesting things involving wood turning:)

Cody Pierce
06-24-2014, 1:36 AM
Go for a drive around Palos Verdes and if you have a weekend day take the ferry out to Catalina. That, and you MUST go to the Getty. Their furniture exhibit is outstanding. And, you only pay $10 for parking, no entry fee.

Rich Enders
06-24-2014, 1:44 AM
Steve,

-10-15 years ago Eisenbrand was quite a well stocked hardwood dealer with an extensive supply of slabs and burls plus the usual. Perhaps others can chime in to say whether this is still worth the trip.

-A driving tour to the Long Beach harbor and the Queen Mary, and then across the bridge to San Pedro, and then to Palos Verdes with a stop at the Wayfarers Chapel with a view of Catalina is an enjoyable two hours. From there to Manhattan Beach will get you to lots of small restaurants, and the Pacific ocean up close and personal.

-To Venice Beach (very briefly), and up the coast to Malibu, (and Pepperdine University), and then over a switch back mountain road to the San Fernando Valley. Head back east to pick up Mullholand Drive for vista's of the Valley, to the North, and the Basin to the south. This will take you into Hollywood where there is a great city view from Yamashiros. From there Southeast on the Hollywood freeway to downtown LA and the Portman designed Bonaventure hotel with a top floor restaurant and/or view of the city. West from there on Sunset Blvd through Beverly Hills, Westwood and the UCLA campus, Brentwood and then on to the harbor at Marina Del Rey, and big name restaurants.

-The Getty where (according to our European friends) is displayed most of the art he stole from them.

A little bit of wood, and a lot of driving suggestions.

Bruce Pratt
06-24-2014, 7:38 AM
If you have the time, check out Tropical Exotic Hardwoods in Carlsbad. Good supply of turning stock.

-- usual disclaimers : no affiliation, no financial interest --

Steve Kennedy
06-24-2014, 12:52 PM
Thank you. That should keep me busy!

John Beaver
06-24-2014, 2:58 PM
Hey Steve,

Unfortunately L.A. is not a mecca for woodturners. There are a few wood stores, but not necessarily anything you won't find elsewhere, and the prices are pretty high.
Eisenbrand in Torrance does still exist, but very limited hours. Tropical Exotic HW in Carlsbad is the best place for really expensive wood. They specialize in Cocobolo.

Besides all the usual tourist places, museums etc... Personally I prefer the Malibu Getty (great display of greek pottery and antiquities), but they're both worth while.

The Craft and Folk Art Museum is having a show on Stoney Lamar. I haven't gone yet, but I've heard it's great.
If you have a day, drive to Ojai, enjoy lunch and the shops in town and then visit the Beatrice Wood Studio / Gallery. Beatrice was a potter, but they usually have some wood on display.
The Sam Maloof Foundation is always a worthwhile trip.

Scott Kuykendall
06-25-2014, 8:22 AM
Don't know what area you are in but if you want to see a nice selection of hardwoods check out Reel Lumber.
http://www.reellumber.com/new/
Scott