PDA

View Full Version : Cigar Tube - Spalted Maple

Lee Koepke
06-23-2014, 11:45 AM
I ran across this kit from Bear Tooth Woods, its a large tube for cigars. Have a few people that have asked me about them and decided to give it a try. This one is some spalted maple that I had (lighting is bad in my tent, sorry). Its really pretty cool, but using a 7/8" drill bit is just a hair different than making a slimline pen!

Hope you like it.

Ricc Havens
06-23-2014, 1:13 PM
very cool!!

Ricc

Jim Watkins
06-23-2014, 8:49 PM
I like it. Been thinking about making one of those. Did you run into any issues you could advise us about?

Bruce Pratt
06-24-2014, 7:24 AM
Jim,

From personal experience -

1. Drill the blank and then let it sit for a couple weeks. Blanks of this size, even some kiln dried, and particularly from waxed (wet) wood, will shrink a bit.

2. After drying, re-drill and glue in brass tube.

If you glue the brass tube into a freshly drilled blank, there is a high likelihood that the wood will split (because of shrinkage from drying) a few days after turning to final outside diameter.

Lee Koepke
06-24-2014, 8:47 AM
That's good advice Bruce - so far 4 days later no cracking .. .fingers crossed! This maple was pretty dry, I'm guessing 8 months + since milling.

The only other things are drilling out with 1/2" bit first then finishing with the 7/8" bit ( I bought the largest size Bear Tooth Woods had). I didnt do that and the blank was getting pretty hot, just a function of me excited to try something new without thinking it completely out first.

My pen mandrel isnt long enough for both halves at the same time so I have to turn one side then the other. I dont really care since turning things relaxes me and I dont really want to hurry.

I have already sold 3 of the 4 kits I bought, so that may be either the beginning of something good, or I have reached my peak? Who knows.

charlie knighton
06-24-2014, 9:55 AM
Bear Tooth Woods has donated prizes for the Virginia Woodturners Symposium, thanks.....

Lee Koepke
06-25-2014, 8:44 AM
Bear Tooth Woods has donated prizes for the Virginia Woodturners Symposium, thanks.....
good people! Was my first time ordering from Earl, wont be the last!