PDA

View Full Version : Small storage project in the works

steven c newman
06-23-2014, 11:20 AM
No photos yet, not sure how this will turn out. Hand planed a 2x4 of Pine squared all the sides. Gathered up all the auger bits ( 10 of them) and drilled a hole with each right down the centerline of the 1-3/8'' side. Trimmed a bit of 1/4" luann plywood square. Laid out some 1x4 Fir pieces.

Well, it IS a start, anyway. Might turn out better than just a "toss them in a drawer" sort of thing?:mad:

Stay tuned......

have three braces to stash somewhere, and an eggbeater drill. Hmmm, Single Brain Cell Sketchup is at work on this, might take awhile...:eek:

steven c newman
06-23-2014, 6:13 PM
PIP ( Project In Progress) 291870the 2x4 holder with the bits 291871Will have a pivot or a hinge to allow the holder to stand up. Not to bad for an hours work....

Tony Wilkins
06-23-2014, 8:28 PM
So far so good Steven.

Andrew Pitonyak
06-23-2014, 10:16 PM
Yes indeed, pretty good for one hour of work :)

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
06-23-2014, 11:57 PM
Nice job, Steven. Handy not to have those extra bits rattling around. Having picked up a few bits here and there with hand made containers of various types, I would suggest rasping or sanding those holes just a hair larger than the diameter the bit itself drilled, as I've come across a few that were either very difficult to remove/insert in their holders, or in which the holders were cracked beyond repair, most likely from the wood continuing to shrink some after they were made. Maybe less of an issue with well seasoned stuff, but a smudge of insurance can't hurt!

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
06-24-2014, 12:00 AM
Looking at the second picture, with the slightly taller stock in the front (or maybe just the way the mocked-up parts are sitting on the table?) it looks like a drawer - is that the final idea, or is going to be a box? I really like the idea of a small drawer at the top of a work table, that you pull out and there are all the drill bits, a little flip and they're standing at attention.

Jim Matthews
06-24-2014, 6:27 AM
Do you oil your bits for storage?

If you're using recently milled framing lumber,
it's probable still damp.

Rolls and drawers, for me and mine!

steven c newman
06-25-2014, 10:47 AM
Usually a rag with 3in1 oil does the trick.

Haven't worked on this for a few days, have other more personal matters to deal with. Playing phone tag while being on the Medical Leave of Absense gig. EVERYTHING seems to invlve either a 40 mile oneway drive, or 20 phone calls. Emails all over the counrty, each with their own "User" and "Password" and I can almost remember them all.

One trip down to the Dungeon yesterday, and that was to re-arrnge the Tool chest tools. Needed to put away the BIGGER planes, and bring out the Wee Little guys. Seems I put TWO block planes into that chest a few weeks back......pulled out FIVE last night. Maybe I shouldn't stowed them next to the Rebate planes.... Also found out I now have THREE #3 smoothers, any only a #9 smoother. Plans are in place to more balance that out...

2x4 has been sitting around the shop for a long time, well dried out now. Pivots for this "Drill Index"? Hmm, couple of old bolts? couple of screws? Will need a washer between the moving part and the frame. Maybe this weekend, I can pick up some decent plywood, and get things going again. Will try to hang all the stowage boxes from under the Workbench. About the only spare space left....