PDA

View Full Version : How to notch a outside 90 degree corner post for a deck railing

Johnnyy Johnson
06-23-2014, 8:07 AM
I have searched this forum and YouTube for a hand rail corner post notch method. I saw many demos on cutting the hand railing notch that goes down the front and sides. Nothing on the corner post on a 90 degree outside corner. I can use my TS to make the long cuts, but how can I notch the part of the cut that sets down on the top of the deck. I am replacing all my hand railing post and when looking at the old corner I cant tell how the original builder made the cut. My best guess is to use the TS and then chisel out the corner.

Please help

Thanks

Johnny

steven c newman
06-23-2014, 10:22 AM
Skip the tablesaw, first off. Mark out where the two long cuts will be. Set the circular saw to that depth. You can add the guide of your choice, mine was a bit simple291843Then make the two cuts. A little over cut is ok. Then, turn and clamp the post so that the "point" is up. Cut straight across at the top of the joint. Then just pop out the waste, and a chisel to clean up.

Now, IF you are talking about making a notch on the outside of a post, welllllll, think LOTS of kerf cuts, knock out the waste with a hammer, then a wide chisel to clean then up.

BTDT

Johnnyy Johnson
06-23-2014, 11:11 AM
Thanks Guys

Steven...I'll try your method.

Thanks for the help
Johnny.

Steve Menendez
06-24-2014, 2:15 PM
Yep - until I saw it done, I would have struggled with figuring out the corner notch. Like the man said - set the depth of a circular saw, make lots of kerf cuts, then knock out the waste. The guy I saw used the same circular saw to clean up the stubble, but a chisel would work with a little more "elbow grease".

Steve.

Kevin Stricker
06-26-2014, 8:39 AM
Just a FYI, notched 4x4 posts are no longer code in most of the country for guardrails due to strength concerns. Check out the IBC deck companion (http://www.awc.org/publications/dca/dca6/dca6-09.pdf) for more info on best practices. If you are using 6x6 posts the above works for long runs, with an outside corner you are better off using two posts at the outside of each end separated by a short section. A single post can be done but the problem is you cannot connect to the rim joist with through bolts (1/2" minimum per code) so it is a mute point. Don't try to copy your old builders construction methods, they could be dangerous.