PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with Jet 14" B/S assembly

Pete Lamberty
05-23-2003, 2:47 PM
Hi, I just bought a used 14" Jet bandsaw. Model JWBS-14CS. There are two things that I need help with. I was following the manual during assembly and it said to align the two pulleys by loosening one of the set screws and sliding the pulley either in or out so that it is in line with the other pulley. The set screws are allen screws. I tried the 7/64 allen wrench and it was to small. But the 1/8 was to large. So My question is, what size allen wrench do I need to loosen the set screws? It must be a metric size. Also the back of the blade rubs the circular table insert. It is just a very slight touching of the surface but I feel that I should fix this. I have adjusted the blade for tension and tracking according to the manual, but I still get this rubbing. I have the 3/8 inch blade in now. I feel that this will be worse with a wider blade. Can the table be moved a little? It doesn't say anything about this in the manual. What do you think I should do? Should I file a small amount away so that it doesn't rub? I tried calling Jet, but they must have started their holiday already. Thanks for any help or suggestions that you may have. Pete

Eric Apple - Central IN
05-23-2003, 3:12 PM
Are you sure you don't have the table insert flipped 180 deg ? Most I've setup the blade slot opening is toward the back of the blade. So it can't rub. Try flipping it around.

The set screw size I don't know. Just pick up a set at the local hardware store. It's a standard size and would be included in many sets.

Pete Lamberty
05-23-2003, 3:24 PM
Hi Eric, Boy, do I feel like a knuckle head. I didn't even think of turning the insert around. Thanks. I do have a set of allen wrenches but none fit. I'll have to go to the store and see what is available. Thanks again. Pete

Sam Chambers
05-23-2003, 4:09 PM
Pete:

I have the same saw. I don't have my manual handy, but I think those allen screws are indeed metric. I got a cheap little set for about $4.

If you have the manual, isn't there a parts list with it? Maybe the previous owner didn't give it to you. I got a manual from Jet customer service. In fact, they even faxed me a copy! Give them a call at 1-800-274-6846 between 7:00 am and 4:30 pm pacific time.

Byron Trantham
05-23-2003, 5:16 PM
I bought a set of metric "T" handle allen wrenches from Harbor Freight for about $7. They came with a wall mount bracket. I liked them so much I al so bought the English set as well. I used the metric a lot more than I thought I would. As you have found out, a lot of the screws in our hardeware is metric. The 2mm is the one needed to remove the bearing retaining screw on the end of router bits.

Good luck.