PDA

View Full Version : Old dogs and slippery floors

Rick Potter
06-23-2014, 2:47 AM
Poor Molly,

She's a 16 year old black lab, and the dysplasia in her hind legs is getting worse fast. She has a lot of trouble getting up, and walks pretty crooked, but still tries to chase the new pup.

The latest problem is in the shop. She has always been a shop dog, and lately she slips on the little bit of sawdust on the concrete floor. Her big problem is just standing still, though.
She walks through the shop, stops to be petted, and her hind legs just start going sideways. She can't stop trying to do the splits, and tries to start walking, but it's too late, and sometimes she falls. It would be funny, but I know it has to hurt her.

Poor pup, she cannot stand in one place long enough to eat her food, either. She has to walk around a bit and go back to it while I keep the new dog away. I tried raising her bowl, but she didn't like it.

I dread the day when I have to put her down. She's a lover.

Rick Potter

John Coloccia
06-23-2014, 5:02 AM
We had to put our Samoyed down last year. That was very difficult. I have hardwood floors and ended up putting a bunch of Woodcraft shop mats down all over the house.

Dan Hintz
06-23-2014, 6:26 AM
You could try socks, though it would be annoying to put them on and take them off every day. You could coat your shop floor with some traction grit (and make it a pretty color, too)... about $100 for a complete kit at the local BORG, but that would only work in your shop, not the rest of the house.

Jerry Thompson
06-23-2014, 9:17 AM
We too have a Samoyed. He is going on 15. We have made paths with throw rugs he can navigate on. He is slowly fading day by day. He get's his pain pill twice a day and it makes a noticeable difference. He loves it when his grown grand kids come to see him. Dogs are one of man's greatest gifts.
I often think of a sign I saw outside of a Veterinarian's office, "Be as forgiving as your dog."

Grant Wilkinson
06-23-2014, 10:24 AM
WE put down very thin, inexpensive yoga mats.

Rick Potter
06-23-2014, 12:59 PM
Mats are good. I have some for her in the shop, as well as a piece of carpet to lay on. One mat is right in front of the TS. Guess which one she chooses.

Molly is an outside dog. With the hot summer arriving, I leave the shop door open for her when it is hot, because it is cool inside. That is when she likes to lay on the cement floor..much cooler.

Rick P

William Payer
06-23-2014, 1:59 PM
Our current 7 year old rescue pup has trouble with wood and tile floors. She slips and her legs slowly spread outward if she stands in one place a=for any length of time. Before her, we had a senior dog who had arthritis in the back and hip as well as surgery to repair a torn cruicate ligament. We placed throw rugs throughout the house, giving her a non slip "pathway" to navigate . This works well for the current pup.
In the shop, I would think about getting some rubber mat material( interlocking is nice) and give the old girl a good surface to be stable on. ( it would also keep some of the dampness from the cement floor from affecting her joint comfort too.

Mike Chance in Iowa
06-23-2014, 4:12 PM
It's not easy watching them slow down. We've been dealing with floor issues for quite a few years with the last few dogs due to age & body issues. Because Molly is moving slower, she may be able to wear booties with rubber soles without them slipping off her feet. The problem is finding better-quality booties that fit proper and don't easily flick off. Ruffwear Grip Trex booties work well for many dogs, but they are not cheap. There are some adhesive traction pads that you can stick on a dog's pads, but I have not talked to anyone who has personally had success with them. There is also a wax-like stuff used by mushers that you can wipe on dogs pads that helps with traction, but some brands will leave a residue while other brands have been known to make it more slippery for the dog.

For our last 2 dogs that needed help, we set rubber-backed carpets where ever there was a traction issue. We also picked up the rubber-backed indoor/outdoor carpet you can buy from rolls at the hardware stores, but those can be slippery when covered with dew. Dog #1 did well by eating from a raised bowl. Dog #2 did better if we brought the food bowl to him so he could eat slowly (at his own pace) while laying down in the same room as we were in - which kept the other dogs from stealing his food. Dog #2 suffered from age & issues with his knees and had trouble getting up. We used a harness on him to help lift him up to a standing position. Dog #1 suffered from age, vestibular disease & more complicated issues so she was slipping with practically every step yet she didn't have a problem getting up. We used a dog life jacket that gave her a bit of cushion on her sides for when she bumped into stuff, it had a longer "handle" on top, and it had more straps around her chest & belly to help us stabilize both her front & rear ends as she walked.

We have also painted "traction" into the floor as well as used rubber mats and sticky strips that look like composite roof shingle. All that works to some degree, but it really depends upon how & why the dog is slipping. The best solution we have found for all our dogs was to use some form of textured carpet. If the carpet is too smooth, the dog's foot will find a way to slip.

Erik Loza
06-24-2014, 12:39 PM
We went through this about 6 months ago. Just more and more rugs. Runners, area rugs, etc. I also put grip tape on the steps up to the back door, which are composite and slippery when wet.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Rick Potter
06-24-2014, 2:23 PM
Just put down some more mats for Molly. That gives her more locations to lie down comfy. I have a large segmented mat in the shop, which is getting smaller. The new dog thinks it is a chew toy. Had to give up on large dog beds also, I have found at least 4 in little pieces around the yard. A friend gave me a dozen brand new sample sofa cushions, and I used them for dog beds also. Same results.

Molly's favorite place is in the shop on a scrap of carpet that no dog has found tasty. She stays on that while I am in there. Strange dog, I built her a custom dog house years ago, and she refuses to use it. I think she doesn't like being in small spaces. When in the shop, I have to be careful to not walk toward the door, or she will get up and follow me out. Abandonment issues, I guess. Shelter dog.

Rick P

Dok Yager
06-24-2014, 9:55 PM
Rick if you look online for Dog Booties. Ok I know it sounds nutz, but they make non slip boots for dogs kind of like rain boots. I had to get a set for my 16 yr old lab/wheaton terrier mix. Here try this link:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=dog+boots+that+stay+on&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=44750445945&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16993179269563721177&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_59eeutxfpz_b

Rick Potter
06-25-2014, 2:27 AM
I will check it out, thanks.

Rick P