PDA

View Full Version : Gluing on Melamine

Mark W Pugh
06-22-2014, 10:38 PM
I have a piece of melamine that I need to attach a piece of MDF to it. If I rough the melamine up a bit, can I glue the MDF to it??? What glue will work?

Thanks

Loren Woirhaye
06-22-2014, 10:39 PM
melamine glue.

Mark W Pugh
06-22-2014, 11:26 PM
melamine glue.

And that would be what and does the big box stores have it? Seriously, I'm not familiar. Would contact cement work?

Ken Platt
06-22-2014, 11:31 PM
One brand is called Roo GLue. It is water clean up, easy to use, seemed to last quite a long time - I was using the same bottle for years.

Edit - It's called Roo Clear. Here is a linK:

https://rooglue.com/product/rooclear/

Loren Woirhaye
06-22-2014, 11:51 PM
Contact cement is unlikely to work very well, but it depends on the application. I've sanded and scored the heck out of melamine to glue veneers to it. It takes a long time and the coating will never be toothy. You have to cut through the melamine coating to get to the PB underneath to get a toothy surface. Maybe I overdid it Titebond makes a melamine glue. I bought some once but never used it. You will not find it at a big box store.

You can run some tests if you like... maybe Liquid Nails will stick to it. Regular pva will practically pop off melamine with a fingernail.

Mark W Pugh
06-23-2014, 12:33 AM
One brand is called Roo GLue. It is water clean up, easy to use, seemed to last quite a long time - I was using the same bottle for years.

Looks like that would work. Any ideas on something local, like the big box stores. I would like to get this done tomorrow.

Lonnie Gallaher
06-23-2014, 12:41 AM
There was another thread about this recently. I posted a comment about my experience with Titebond Melamine glue as being very messy - but it did glue 3/4 melamine board to a plywood substrate.

But, I would use a different product today.

At work I needed to bond some steel plate to a laminate substrate. This is a tough bond to make in that each of the materials are smooth and not able to absorb a glue product. I wanted a locally available product that was dispensed with a caulking gun, so I went to the local big box store and looked at the construction adhesives. Now for the product. Locktite PL 3X Premium Construction Adhesive. http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/12/28/pl_ca_prem/overview/Loctite-PL-Premium-Polyurethane-Construction-Adhesive.htm

Short story. The steel could not be removed from my test substrate (Melamine) without destroying the substrate.

It does requires support while the adhesive dries.

Curt Harms
06-23-2014, 8:03 AM

Roo Clear is useful stuff and good for a lot more than melamine. The problem is that it's hard to find at retail, most of the sources on RooGlue's site sell only to the trade. Upside is if if I keep air out of the container, it'll stay usable for at least a couple years. The only sources I know of are Amazon and Western Tool.

guy knight
06-23-2014, 10:59 AM
i use rooglue and tight bond on a regular bases and have never had a failure great stuff easy to use not sure where to buy it other than a supplier to the trades i get it in the gallon size

Mark W Pugh
06-23-2014, 4:08 PM
i use rooglue and tight bond on a regular bases and have never had a failure great stuff easy to use not sure where to buy it other than a supplier to the trades i get it in the gallon size

Thanks guys. Just Amazon ordered Titebond Melamine since no one around here, including Woodcraft, had it. The story of my life.

Curt Harms
06-24-2014, 7:21 AM
Thanks guys. Just Amazon ordered Titebond Melamine since no one around here, including Woodcraft, had it. The story of my life.

That's interesting. Woodcraft used to carry Roo Clear which is where I found out about it. They stopped I think because Titebond came out with melamine glue. Now they're not carrying either one? I have no experience with Titebond melamine glue. I'd be interested to know if it has a vinegary smell. Roo Clear does and as I recall can be removed after it dries with vinegar (acetic acid).

Grant Wilkinson
06-24-2014, 7:51 AM
Just to be clear, you are wanting to glue melamine to MDF, right? I'm confused because some of the posts here are talking about gluing veneers to melamine and to gluing steel to laminate.

I've glued a lot of thin melamine to MDF using contact cement rolled on and never had one let go. Gluing veneer to melamine covered particle board is a completely different thing, though.

Mark W Pugh
06-24-2014, 8:03 AM
Just to be clear, you are wanting to glue melamine to MDF, right? I'm confused because some of the posts here are talking about gluing veneers to melamine and to gluing steel to laminate.

I've glued a lot of thin melamine to MDF using contact cement rolled on and never had one let go. Gluing veneer to melamine covered particle board is a completely different thing, though.

Gluing a piece of MDF to a piece of melamine.

Doug Richardson
06-24-2014, 9:49 AM
You should be happy with the Titebond Melamine glue. I have used it and had no problems whatsoever.....