PDA

View Full Version : Buying from JDS Ind.

Dennis Watson
06-22-2014, 4:59 PM
Anyone here buy from jdsindustries.com direct? I applied for a account last week and now I am getting their ads in my email, but I haven't heard if I was accepted or not.

Do they mail a conformation to you?

Mark Sipes
06-22-2014, 5:19 PM
I am sure they do since you need a Customer Acct number to order items.

Tim Bateson
06-22-2014, 10:37 PM
Just give them a call. Good company to work with.

Gary Hair
06-23-2014, 9:45 AM
Call them, I have found that their customer service is some of the very best I have ever dealt with.

Mary Geitz
06-23-2014, 10:45 AM
I went through the same thing when I opened an account. You just need to call. In my case I had a specific order I wanted to place, so I sent them an email telling them that and they had the account opened that day. Other than that, they're great.

Chris Achtschin
06-27-2014, 4:53 PM
Great company to work with

Robert Walters
06-27-2014, 7:25 PM
The things i do are more commissioned than "retail", so no reseller number.

JDS wil not setup an account nor sell to anyone wihtout a reseller number.

So even if you were a company with a large campus that does their own in-house signage, they will not sell to you.

Any alternatives?
I'm looking for laserable plastics, "rowmark" I suppose.

Scott Shepherd
06-27-2014, 7:28 PM
Robert, call them back and talk to them again. If you're a business, you qualify. I've never heard of a "reseller number" and I know for a fact we don't have one because I don't know what one is, and we use JDS all the time.

AL Ursich
06-27-2014, 7:50 PM
I remember when I setup my account they wanted my Sales Tax ID Number to be sure I was a Business not someone in the Garage working off the books.

AL

Robert Walters
06-27-2014, 8:12 PM
Robert, call them back and talk to them again. If you're a business, you qualify. I've never heard of a "reseller number" and I know for a fact we don't have one because I don't know what one is, and we use JDS all the time.

A reseller number is issued by each state for collecting sales tax on retail sales.

JDS having a reseller number on file for each business means they waive collecting sales tax as JDS doesn't sell "retail", it's clients do.

I did call them back and I got the same response/attitude and it was a different person.

What is sounds like to me is that they got a hefty fine(s) for selling without collecting sales tax from non-businesses, ie "retail". Or, they weren't collecting the reseller numbers from every client and couldn't prove if that client was "retail" or "wholesale".

I purchase raw materials from a lot of wholesalers, I just have them collect sales tax is all.

I only wanted to get some samples to play with laserable plastics.
I'm always on the lookout for new/different mediums.
Everything for a reason I suppose =)

Scott Shepherd
06-27-2014, 8:16 PM
Gotcha, that's easy, you can get that tax number for free from your state. It's pretty painless. If you don't collect any taxes for them, you have nothing to pay.

We do have that. Most states allow you to get the number online and it doesn't take but a couple of minutes.

Robert Walters
06-27-2014, 8:26 PM
you can get that tax number for free from your state.

Yep, I'm fully aware and used to have one. But if you don't use it (submit a quarterly/annual report), you lose it.

Bert Kemp
06-27-2014, 8:29 PM
In AZ you can apply for a street vendors license or a peddlers permit, its like $12, maybe NC has something similar

Dennis Watson
06-28-2014, 6:57 AM
Account is setup and good to go. Found out their online premier acrylic pdf catalog has outdated numbers in it though. In fact their site seems a bit manual when it comes to entering in items.

Mike Null
06-28-2014, 7:17 AM
I believe it is the JDS policy to refuse orders from schools as well. It is their idea that schools shouldn't be competing with engraving businesses. Businesses such as JDS are frequently audited by state sales tax departments to be sure they are collecting and paying their taxes. Given that they sell nationally from several locations they are subject to the laws of multiple states.

Ross Moshinsky
06-28-2014, 7:41 AM
The policy of restricting selling to the general public i.e. people without a resale number is the status quot in many industries. There are suppliers who won't sell to you (with a resale number) if you are not actually in their industry. Hobbyists should not have availability to the same price or product from the wholesale distributor as people with a "mainstream business". Our industry does not warrant open access to the general public, it is not car parts or party supplies and it is not an off the shelf package of paper towels. If you don't need a resale number to operate then I feel that you should not be able to buy from a legitimate industry wholesaler/supplier and receive the associated price structure. That is one reason that Amazon.com and other similar online suppliers have been so successful with their marketing plan. They are there for the masses.

Keith Outten
06-28-2014, 9:38 AM
When I ran the sign shop at Christopher Newport University JDS refused to sell anything to us. I was told they don't do business with any educational institutions.

While I was at CNU I purchased all of my engraving materials from Johnson Plastics (http://www.johnsonplastics.com). Johnson Plastics will be a SawMill Creek Advertiser starting July 1st sponsoring multiple banner ads here. Maybe they will offer special discounts in the future......lets hope so :)

Mike Hollingsworth
06-28-2014, 10:26 AM
not to be confused with this great outfit:
jdstools.com

Bill Stearns
06-28-2014, 10:30 AM
Dennis -
Good to hear you are all set up for ordering from JDS; they are indeed a very fine, service oriented, supplier/company. Me - I prefer to order my needs by phone: I like the ability to double-check over and clarify my orders with the representative. (Once, years ago, working for a food company, I summited my order electronically for "jelly beans" - a new product in our line. I misinterpreted how they were bagged 'n boxed. A day later, a semi-truck filled to the ceiling with jelly beans showed up at the grocer's door!) Well, anyway, sounds like your account issue is resolved - best of luck to you!

Bill

Eric Claiborne
06-28-2014, 10:42 AM
i've had great service from johnson's plastics and inventables.

Robert Walters
06-29-2014, 3:45 AM
The policy of restricting selling to the general public i.e. people without a resale number is the status quot in many industries. There are suppliers who won't sell to you (with a resale number) if you are not actually in their industry. Hobbyists should not have availability to the same price or product from the wholesale distributor as people with a "mainstream business". Our industry does not warrant open access to the general public, it is not car parts or party supplies and it is not an off the shelf package of paper towels. If you don't need a resale number to operate then I feel that you should not be able to buy from a legitimate industry wholesaler/supplier and receive the associated price structure. That is one reason that Amazon.com and other similar online suppliers have been so successful with their marketing plan. They are there for the masses.

By that same mentality...

You shouldn't be able to buy a pallet of paint wholesale because you are not a Painter in the painting industry,
even though you might have 4 rental properties.

I do contract/commissioned artistic and prototyping elements. not awards/signage.
I was just consider laserable laminates as I'm always on the lookout for new mediums for potential new projects.

I had a resell number for the sole purpose of making purchases as some don't think you are a business without one. A resell number is for RETAIL SALES, I don't do "retail". But I let it lapse because I never used it for anything else in regards to sales taxes, which is it's actual purpose, not to establish what an entity is or isn't.

A wholesaler is typically bulk/quantity purchases. Something that many retailers are not even equipped to deal with. Many don't even carry a vendor's full line of products, so you have to go direct to the manufacture or wholesale houses.

Just because YOUR business is "retail", not everyone that uses a laser or CNC machine in their business is "retail".

Mike Null
06-29-2014, 10:16 AM
A re-sale number is not only for retail sales. You must collect sales tax from even the largest corporations in the US depending on what they buy. Just as an example, GM must pay sales tax on all their office supplies but not on their steel.

Ross Moshinsky
06-29-2014, 2:14 PM

You shouldn't be able to buy a pallet of paint wholesale because you are not a Painter in the painting industry,

I do contract/commissioned artistic and prototyping elements. not awards/signage.
I was just consider laserable laminates as I'm always on the lookout for new mediums for potential new projects.

I had a resell number for the sole purpose of making purchases as some don't think you are a business without one. A resell number is for RETAIL SALES, I don't do "retail". But I let it lapse because I never used it for anything else in regards to sales taxes, which is it's actual purpose, not to establish what an entity is or isn't.

A wholesaler is typically bulk/quantity purchases. Something that many retailers are not even equipped to deal with. Many don't even carry a vendor's full line of products, so you have to go direct to the manufacture or wholesale houses.

Just because YOUR business is "retail", not everyone that uses a laser or CNC machine in their business is "retail".

If you're a business, you should file as such with your state. This includes having a re-sale number as you plan on re-selling goods to the public. It has nothing to do with retail. Wholesalers have a re-sale number just like retailers just like mixed businesses.

Would you collect tax from a "chuch" without a tax exempt form? Same logic applies here. If you don't have the paper work, you can't be considered a non-profit, even if you act like one.

Mike Null
06-30-2014, 6:18 AM
Besides the state sales tax number you should have a federal tax id number as well. I have a number a larger customers who will not pay my invoice until I provide it using a form called a W-9. That is not a requirement of suppliers though.

Brian R Cain
06-30-2014, 10:14 AM
Gotcha, that's easy, you can get that tax number for free from your state. It's pretty painless. If you don't collect any taxes for them, you have nothing to pay.

It sounds like you have a far more sensible arrangement than we have in the UK. Here, a business having an annual turnover of £81K or above is obliged to register for VAT. This means that 20% tax has to be added to every invoice. VAT registered businesses then reclaim the tax they paid in their quarterly returns.

In 25 years of business, I never sold anything other than to companies who were also registered for VAT, so the net amount of tax the government received was zilch. A totally pointless exercise for everyone and causes unnecessary cash flow issues for some. If a business fails to submit the VAT return by the due date and not a day later, it will be penalised, even if the return is in the business's favour. i.e. they paid more tax than they collected and are due a refund.

It's complete madness.

Scott Shepherd
06-30-2014, 10:33 AM
It sounds like you have a far more sensible arrangement than we have in the UK. Here, a business having an annual turnover of £81K or above is obliged to register for VAT. This means that 20% tax has to be added to every invoice. VAT registered businesses then reclaim the tax they paid in their quarterly returns.

It's complete madness.

Oh, I don't think you have a monopoly on the madness over there ;)

Mark Sipes
06-30-2014, 1:33 PM

Somewhere in your logic there is a flaw. the fact that you own 4 properties does not make you eligiable for wholesale pricing. Now if you have the properties as a business or LLC, you do have a business. But I bet you write the maintenance off on your taxes for the upkeep of the properties..... you should! How do you claim the income generated from those properties.

The commissioned art you create is that donated or do you get "paid"............ a business!!

I can buy one item from a company or a pallet. still get a wholesale pricing as a business.

I don't pay taxes at "Pier One Imports" when i purchase glassware to be lasered, I pay full price, but I charge the final customer the tax. Non profits in WA still pay tax........

Robert Walters
06-30-2014, 2:38 PM
Somewhere in your logic there is a flaw. the fact that you own 4 properties does not make you eligiable for wholesale pricing. Now if you have the properties as a business or LLC, you do have a business. But I bet you write the maintenance off on your taxes for the upkeep of the properties..... you should! How do you claim the income generated from those properties.

The commissioned art you create is that donated or do you get "paid"............ a business!!

I can buy one item from a company or a pallet. still get a wholesale pricing as a business.

I don't pay taxes at "Pier One Imports" when i purchase glassware to be lasered, I pay full price, but I charge the final customer the tax. Non profits in WA still pay tax........

Mark,

The point I was trying to make there was that even if you are not in THAT specific industry (Painter),
there is a legit purpose for a Landlord buying a pallet of paint wholesale.

Sorry if I caused confusion by saying "commissioned" and "artwork" in the same sentence.
I use the word "artwork" as opposed to "function" as most people understand that easier.

In this context:
Function might be a jig, fixture, tool, device, process, etc.
Artwork might be decorative, esthetic, etc, not like a painting or sculpture.

A business might want something to help with marketing or process specific but don't have the skill/knowledge/talent/desire to do it themselves. I'll gather their cocktail napkin notes, etc and come up with a plan of attack for them. So I am "commissioned" to solve their task at hand.

As most folks are "visual by nature", they want to see a mockup/model. I'm not selling them the model (not retail sales), but it's part of the consulting report in tangible form. Just like when one writes report/quote for a client, you don't "sell" that and charge sales tax on the paper and the staples for that report.

Again, I don't do "retail" or public sales, so no sales taxes collection/reporting is required so says the CPA.

Robert Walters
06-30-2014, 2:50 PM
Besides the state sales tax number you should have a federal tax id number as well. I have a number a larger customers who will not pay my invoice until I provide it using a form called a W-9. That is not a requirement of suppliers though.

Mike,

The purpose of the W-9 is a CYA thing...
An entity can't pay any other entity more than $600 (iirc) a tax year per IRS without reporting it.

Something like that =)

Mike Null
06-30-2014, 3:00 PM
That's not cya, that's the law.

Mark Sipes
06-30-2014, 3:56 PM
Mark,

I don't do "retail" or public sales, so no sales taxes collection/reporting is required so says the CPA.

Does your CPA charge you tax????? He is just providing a service to you ... he is not Retail. anything he produces is yours it's your information not his..he's a consultant.... I guess.....

so the income collected from your consulting... non business is tax exempt and not reportable........ sounds "under the table to me"... and by the way any thing consumed or is a part of a specific job is a cost to that specific job and is tax exempt as long as the tax is collect by the reseller. so if you don't collect the tax then you are the consumer and get taxed......

Ross Moshinsky
06-30-2014, 5:05 PM
There are wholesalers that sell to anyone with a credit card, are they really wholesalers?
COSTCO is a buying club, but needed a tax ID # to become a commercial account.
Can you buy from a landscaping supply if it says on their terms for the trade only?
Will you get the same price at NAPA if you are a consumer versus a professional mechanic? Same with restaurant supply, they ask for a business check and tax ID# before you can get an account to buy wholesale. Will you be allowed into a trade show when it dictates that you need proof that you are in the same industry, once again a tax ID, business card and bank check. The same paint store that has been brought up, might have different prices for consumers, painters or contractors. If you have a relationship with the guy at the counter he might cut you a deal or enter you into the system as a commercial account. I would guess that one field in the account registry is tax ID#.
The supplier for sign materials required proof that they were shipping to a business. Who knows if they will they ship to an artisan working out of his house. I would surmise that he is in business and needs to file taxes and needs some sort of ID. He might even need to get a variance to work in his garage.

It is my opinion that a true wholesaler with a policy that they only sell to the trade is protecting his clients from people who might dilute the business and force prices lower while taking little or no risk working under the radar.