PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes it's fun just to make shavings

Carole Valentine
06-30-2005, 11:25 PM
When I was hauling out some shavings tonight I spied a small dogwood log I had flung into the woods after trashing my timberwolf band saw blade on it a few months ago. Since I had been casting about for some junk wood to practice on, I took it back to the shop and mounted it up. I had never turned a goblet before so I decided to give it a wack. This got sort of scary because the wood stated cracking, even with CA. The bowl is about 1/8" thick. I chickened out and did not turn the stem as thin as I wanted (didn't want to visit the ER on July 4th weekend) but I wasn't toally displeased with the result. I didn't spend much time sanding and it has no finish...I just played with beeswax on it since it will be tossed into the "practice bin." Another evening spent learning!
http://www.esva.net/%7Epchousecalls/dogwoodgoblet.jpg

Jerry Clark
06-30-2005, 11:49 PM
Looks good Carole, Nice form and color! :)

Ernie Nyvall
06-30-2005, 11:51 PM
Carole, to me the proportions look good with the stem the size it is. With that style cup it looks just right. JMHO

Ernie

Raymond Overman
07-01-2005, 7:48 AM
Ain't that the truth Carole. There's nothing wrong with studies either. Sketchbooks are filled with unfinished pieces before a portfolio piece is done. However, make sure you save that piece so later on when you're famous you can say, "This is one of my early studies. It shows blah, blah, blah." When all you're really thinking is, "Sure was fun making curls."

Jim Becker
07-01-2005, 10:02 AM
Carole, if I can visit the ER on New Years Day, you can certainly entertain them on the 4th! :D

Seriously, nice job on the goblet. The trick to slimming down the stem is to do it last...you want some mass there while you work on the business end of the piece and can thin things down afterward, using one hand as a "steady" while you one-hand the tool on the cut.

Carole Valentine
07-01-2005, 10:09 AM
I did do the stem last...just got chicken! lol

John Hart
07-03-2005, 9:07 PM
Carole....Why is it that your "practice pieces" look better than my "Keeper pieces"? Sheesh...I gots to try harder!:)

Carole Valentine
07-03-2005, 9:32 PM
John, I have sometimes wondered why stuff I use for practice (junk wood) sometimes comes out better than if I had mounted up a pretty piece of wood. I have decided that there is one main reason: I am not afraid to experiment since I don't care if I mess it up and since I don't care, I am more relaxed and it seems that when I am relaxed, I have better control of the tool. Just my theory!:D

Robert E Lee
07-03-2005, 10:44 PM
Carole,
You need to take it out of the practice bin and put a good finish and polish it up even if you can't use it.It looks really nice.
Bob