PDA

View Full Version : First pic

Bill Fellmy
06-30-2005, 11:21 PM
Thanks to everbody for the valuable information and guidance to this beginner. I really appreciate the positive and helpful environment of this forum. This pic is the 1st of 5 planter boxes I made recently. After the first 2, LOML saw the value of a mortiser so that is my most recent tool addition.

Roy Wall
06-30-2005, 11:30 PM
Bill,

Nice work!! Good score on the Mortiser.........what kind and do you really like it??

Very nice fit and finish.....:)

Martin Lutz
06-30-2005, 11:30 PM
Looks great Bill!! Nice work. Congrats on the first pic.

Jason Tuinstra
06-30-2005, 11:49 PM
Bill, good for you! The planter looks great. The two tone nature of it with the natural finish makes for a nice look. And you're right, the mortiser is going to come in handy. I use mine all the time.

Vaughn McMillan
07-01-2005, 3:57 AM
I agree with Jason...the two-tone look works very nicely. What kind of finish did you use?

- Vaughn

lou sansone
07-01-2005, 6:24 AM
your planters are looking good. I am sure that once they are all out there with plants in them that the honey dooo list is going to grow. But as you have learned at a tender young age, those projects often result in the addition of the tool collection

lou

Ken Fitzgerald
07-01-2005, 9:15 AM
Great planter Bill! Now we need informaton and photss of that mortiser!

Bill Fellmy
07-01-2005, 10:49 AM
The hollow chisel mortiser is a Delta 14-650. The box arrived timely (mail order) and in fairly decent condition. The on/off switch had been jarred enough while in transit that it was "frozen" but a quick disassemble and re-alignment of a contact had the switch operative in less than 10 minutes.

I've cut only 48 mortises with it so far but like the tool a lot. I can do in 5 minutes what was previously taking me an hour on the router table.

The finish is two coats of a 50-50 mixture of tung oil and exterior polyurethane. The 4 x 4's of the Western red cedar I bought were darker than the side boards resulting in the two tone effect. BTW, the bottom is adjustable to 5 different heights so that plants can easily be changed out.

Effie Lever
07-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Beautiful looking planter, isn’t it a shame you’re going to fill it with dirt ;) .

it's been on my honey-do list for awhile, maybe I’ll get to it this summer.

Effie.

Michael Gabbay
07-01-2005, 12:42 PM
Nice planters! The contrast definately makes it look more custom than what you'd find at a store.:)

I have the same mortiser. Its a great machine. The manual is a little vague on setup though. If you look at the bottom of the riser where the fence rail slides you'll see set screws on each side. They help keep the fence in place from moving side to side.

Mike

Jason Tuinstra
07-01-2005, 2:28 PM
Looks nice!

Jerry Olexa
07-01-2005, 3:31 PM
I have a Jet mortiser same size. Saves mucho time and accurate. Your planters look great!!