PDA

View Full Version : Getting some saws cleaned up

steven c newman
06-21-2014, 10:37 AM
have a D8 from the first years of the skew back models. Right out at the end, about 6" of teeth were just worn down, like the owner never used the rest of the saw:eek:, so, this morning being a "betwen projects day" got out the big file. Jointed a new line, with just a hint of a curve up. Did not feel like making new teeth out there. got a decent line jointed, then went over the new area with a saw file. The entire area that was jointed. Then cleaned up the rest of the plate, and set it aside291684 Ready for work. It does a good job as a cross cut. 8ppi While I was at it, cleaned up the "go-to" crosscut saw291685D-7 Lightweight saw, also 8ppi. and a another saw was hanging around, needing a cleanup291686This being my "mitre box" (plastic one) saw. Name on the brass is "Pheonix Warranted" , beyond that? Brunch break! After that? well, there IS one more that MIGHT need a bit more that just a clean up291688it is a 5.5 skew back RIP saw, but beyond that? Not sure. Maybe it was made by Mutt & Sons?:D

steven c newman
06-21-2014, 12:52 PM
Just finished that rip saw. 27-1/4" of very LARGE teeth. That is a lot of file work! This is a 5.5 ppi rip saw. No etch, no name to it. Has enough set as is. Took a while to file them all. Because there isn't any etch to preserve, I fired up the palm sander with 150 grit paper, and cleaned the plate. The a rag and some 3in1 oil to wipe it down with. Set up a scrap in the vise. Ripped down about to a 5" line, in maybe 8-9 strokes. Line was even straight! Nice big handle, too. It MIGHt get a little shaping done to it, as it is a might "boxy". Maybe round-over the edges a bit?

steven c newman
06-21-2014, 2:39 PM
And the pictures291699 10 strokes to get that far down. No binding at all. I guess I won't be neding the set, afterall291700 Just an old rip saw.....