PDA

View Full Version : Crescent Joiner

Judge Kale
06-20-2014, 6:55 PM
Hey all
Long time lurker, first time poster. Anyway, I'm in the middle of a jointer rehab, 12" Crescent Jointer c. 1913, and I recently acquired a dial indicator to help set the knives.

I've notice the difference between the pulley side of the cutterhead to the other end there's a bit of run out, .018. Does this need a repour of babbitt? Or off setting the knives so they compensate. I'm new the the thousandth world, so I dont know if .018 is a big deal on a jointer over 12".

Thanks ahead of time.

Loren Woirhaye
06-20-2014, 7:58 PM
May be easier to stick a shim under the table ways on the low side.

Cast iron moves over time too.

Kevin Jenness
06-20-2014, 8:22 PM
Are you saying that there is a difference in height of .018" between the outfeed table and the cutterhead? That is more than you would want to compensate for by skewing the knives in the head.
If I recall aright, this machine has tables set on four adjustable points. If so, you will need to start by setting the outfeed table level with the cutterhead, then setting the infeed table to be coplanar with the outfeed table by loosening the wedge lock bolts, adjusting the wedges, and retightening the bolts. Plan on spending at least half a day. You will need an accurate steel straightedge, the longer the better, ideally as long as the jointer but at least 3' long. A set of feeler gauges will help you to establish the condition of the tables and get them in plane. Use the straightedge and feeler gauges across the table corners to get them as flat as possible. You may think the tables are perfectly rigid, but you will find that they can be twisted with minor adjustment of the wedges. Once you have them where you want them, lock them down tight so you don't have to do it again anytime soon.

eugene thomas
06-20-2014, 8:46 PM
I would guess need to level beds to cutter head. My Cresent jointer has 4 leveling points on in feed and out feed bed. I put self setting knives in my jointer. No headache once have tables level.

Mike Chalmers
06-20-2014, 8:54 PM
I'm new the the thousandth world, so I dont know if .018 is a big deal on a jointer over 12".

Thanks ahead of time.

Hundreths. .018 + 1/55

Judge Kale
06-20-2014, 9:05 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I'll adjust the four keyed wedges. I think that's the easiest solution at this point. The babbitt seems to be in pretty good shape.

Rick Lizek
06-21-2014, 1:00 PM
The Crescent is one the finest jointers made. The incline table adjusters are as good as it gets. You will need a good straight edge of at least 4' to tweak the tables. My preferred method of setting the knives is use a straddle type base for my indicator. I've worked on many Crescent jointers over the years.
http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/gauges/gauges.htm

Judson Green
06-21-2014, 2:25 PM
I always set my knives to the table, not the cutter head. Jointer grinders work off the outfeed table.