PDA

View Full Version : 17" Twisted Maple

Bob Bergstrom
06-20-2014, 1:42 PM
this is the last big piece of maple from the golf course our club sawed up last August. It is 17" in diameter and about 4 1/2" deep. It has a bead,cove and bead on the inside of the rim and at the foot. The outside is shear cut with a Thompson 5/8" spindle gouge with the wings ground back about 2". It allows me to take off fluff even in the twisted grain. It produces a much finer cut than a bowl gouge and would be similar to a cabinet scraper. Finish cuts on the inside were with a D-Way 1/2" gouge and a Thompson 1 3/8" scraper. Finish is only Formby's Gloss Tung Oil and Renaissance Wax.his piece will be in the auction at Turn on Chicago Symposium in Aug. It it a fabulous place to learn and a great package deal. Meals lodging and snacks all included. Hope to see some Creekers there.

Roger Chandler
06-20-2014, 1:47 PM
Another beauty, Bob........and a big one at that! Nice flare out at the rim and the beads on the bottom and defining the rim on the inside are a nice touch!

John Keeton
06-20-2014, 2:23 PM
Bob, I have enjoyed seeing all the beautiful bowls you have created from this spectacular wood. Kinda hate to see this be the last one!

Bob Bergstrom
06-21-2014, 4:59 PM
Bob, I have enjoyed seeing all the beautiful bowls you have created from this spectacular wood. Kinda hate to see this be the last one!
Thanks John. I know the next time I'm on a golf course I'll wish I had a chain saw in the bag. Wonder how much wood I could haul on a golf cart? I've really enjoy turning this wood, but only till the next find . Our club just saw up a large cherry tree and I cored a number of natural edge blanks. I guess I'm off to nested natural edge bowls. Love seeing what all the turners here on the Creek share.