PDA

View Full Version : Planer chip breaker and kickback teeth

Ben Jenkins
06-20-2014, 1:17 PM
I have a used Sunhill 20" planer that I'm attempting to get tuned up. The Sunhill is not all that common but is very similar to the other models manufactured in China like Jet, Powermatic, Grizzly, Oliver and others. While working on it I've noticed the kickback teeth are stuck and resistant to movement, which I would like to fix but getting to them is difficult to say the least. Here's a picture before I shop vaced the chips out.

Has anyone had any experience with removing the chip breaker altogether? I have read every manual for every similar planer and they talk about adjusting the chip breaker height but not removing it. If I can remove it I can see what the issue is with my kickback teeth.

Jesse Busenitz
06-20-2014, 5:17 PM
I just worked on my grizzly 20" and it looks identical lol.... anyways I was reading the manual and they said that pitch buildup normally caused the teeth to stick. So if you can spray something to clean that up, or maybe just blowing it out with air would do it.... Don't put oil on them as that will collect dust worse.