PDA

View Full Version : Problem with SHENHUI Model Number: SH-350D

J James
06-20-2014, 12:05 PM
I purchased a laser on eBay which I believe is a SHENHUI SH-350D 50 Watt system (or similar) and it uses a RDC 644XG control board.

The machine will power up, drive the stepper motors, and I was able to pulse the laser tube from the control panel to check the alignment and everything appeared to be working fine.

My problem is that I am unable to get it to work with a computer or the USB drive port.

I have tried everything including installing the software and drivers on 3 different Computers (2 Windows XP machines and 1 Windows 7 PC). All the computers indicate there is an issue with the laser machine hardware. I have tried to install and uninstall the software and drivers so many times I can’t even count. I looked at the laser control panel to see if there was a parameter or setting that is incorrect. Unfortunately, without an English manual for the control system or a password to enter the settings menu I have no way to determine if there is anything that may be set incorrectly preventing the machine from working.

Also, the USB port for connecting a USB flash drive won't recognize any of the USB drives I have used. The USB drive has been formatted FAT32 using a Windows 7 computer and I added files (created using the supplied Laser software) to the root of the USB drive. The LCD control panel indicates "nothing connected" when I press "file" and try to read the files on the USB stick.

I have been trying to work with the eBay seller to rectify the problem but other than sending updated drivers for the Laser Cutter they haven’t made any suggestions as to what the problem is.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is wrong? I think my control board may be bad but I have no way to verify this. I also think there may be an easy solution that I am missing.

Any ideas as to what I can do to troubleshoot the problem would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jay James

Clark Pace
06-20-2014, 12:11 PM
I have the same unit. Have you tried saving the file from lasercut , to a USB stick and then putting the usb stick, and loading the file into memory from that. That machine is capable of that also.

J James
06-20-2014, 12:58 PM
Hi Clark,

Yes, I tried that as well and had no success. That leads me to think I have a hardware problem.

Is your laser working well? Are you happy with the performance?

Thanks!

Jay

Kev Williams
06-20-2014, 1:37 PM
My visual: Guy at the Shenhui factory installs the ports, goes to lunch before connecting them, comes back to work, starts on another machine...

Can you get inside the machine to make sure the USB ports have been connected?

J James
06-20-2014, 2:10 PM
Hi Kev,

Yes, everything is connected properly. I've swapped all the cables for known working cables actually eliminating the feedthrough connectors completely and connecting everything directly to the Control Board. Nothing seems to make any difference.

The computer seems to recognize that the laser machine is connected and the drivers are loaded but when I send a file from from the included RDCAM Software I get a "communication error". When I try to troubleshoot, my computer indicates that there is a hardware issue with the laser interface. I think I have eliminated that the cables or wiring is an issue. I checked all the connections and everything appears to be correct.

The control system seems to be an updated and more advanced version from what I have seen in other pictures of these types of units. I was able to download the control system manual but it is in Chinese. However, the schematics are readable and I can see how the control board is connected to all the other components.

Thanks!

Jay

Jerome Stanek
06-20-2014, 2:41 PM
go into the vender settings and see if you can read your laser. password should be RD8888

Rodne Gold
06-20-2014, 2:45 PM
check the usb cable from the external USB port to the motherboard , try connect your computer directly to the motherboards USB and bypass the cable.

J James
06-20-2014, 2:53 PM
Thanks for that tip. I get a message "No Device Connected" when I click read.

J James
06-20-2014, 3:02 PM
Thanks. Yes, I did all those things. I just checked everything again and my computer (Device Manager) indicates there is an issue with the laser hardware. I get the Windows "Beep-Beep" sound when I connect the cable from the computer to the laser and the laser is turned on so the computer does detect the hardware. I have all the most current drivers loaded.

Thanks,

Jay

Robert Walters
06-20-2014, 3:23 PM
J James,

Pesonally, I'd format the usb sticks using XP (it's less "hidden" in it's functionality than other flavors of windows). FAT16 if you can, just in case the chinese controller doesn't like FAT32. Once you know it can read FAT32 then use that. I know some cameras don't like FAT32 or sticks greater than 4GB.

Replace the USB cable with a KNOWN good one, not just a new USB cable. Even as a test.
If it's a bad cable, it could be intermittent and causing communications issues.

Visually check the USB ports on the controller.
Do you see any corrosion, oxidation, dirt, rust?

Use google translate, it's not perfect but might help.
Click on "translate a document": https://translate.google.com/

A poor wiring harness in the laser can cause havoc. give a slight tug on each wire at each connector and make sure it's secure. Sometimes I've seen cable harness get pinched and cut wires internally and the outer jacket is fine.

Try to give the controller a HARD RESET. That might involve pulling a battery and waiting 10 minutes, or some other sequence which would be in the non-english manual (of course), or might give a hint on the controller board. Sometimes it's a tiny button, or a hole somewhere that you have to use a paperclip to depress.

As a generality... It's usually power off the device, press and hold the reset button, apply power, and wait at least 15 seconds before letting go of the button. Then power off the device, wait 30 seconds, and power back on. This typically will return a device back to it's factory settings/configuration.

If could be corrupted firmware, might trying to reflash the firmware, or even a previous version (is case their are bugs in the latest version).

Pull the controller out of the machine completely, remove the cover and visually inspect all the connectors and solder joints. I can't tell you how many times a poor/cold solder joint have increased my tequila consumption.

See if you can beg/borrow steal another controller, even as a test to eliminate everything else.

Someone else said that they had a controller problem with their chinese laser too.
Probably not related to your issue, but somethign to be aware of once you get up and going again:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?217711-strange-USB-not-connected-Serial-Port-busy-error-message-on-PhCad

Kev Williams
06-20-2014, 5:35 PM
I just remembered that my Triumph wouldn't connect to my computer when I first tried it. Turned out it was a simple matter of trying different COM port numbers in the printer properties -- Com3 was my magic number..

Jerome Stanek
06-20-2014, 5:48 PM
Thanks. Yes, I did all those things. I just checked everything again and my computer (Device Manager) indicates there is an issue with the laser hardware. I get the Windows "Beep-Beep" sound when I connect the cable from the computer to the laser and the laser is turned on so the computer does detect the hardware. I have all the most current drivers loaded.

Thanks,

Jay

Uninstall the device and let the computer look for new hardware

Robert Walters
06-20-2014, 6:20 PM
If these chinese laser controllers (internally) use usb-to-serial chips, then what Jerome said could be right on target.

The USB-TO-SERIAL chips are notorious at changing COM ports at random when things are powered on/off, plugged/unplugged, etc.

Using your XP machine...

Unplug the laser USB cable from the computer.

Open windows explorer (Not Internet Explorer, IE)
Right-click on MY COMPUTER
Click on PROPERTIES
Click on the HARDWARE tab
Click on DEVICE MANAGER
Click on the [+] next to PORTS (COM & LPT)

How many devices are listed and what are they?

You could take a screen capture of the device manager window by hitting ALT+PRNT_SCRN
Then using corel (or MS-PAINT) create a new document, then PASTE (CTRL+V).

Once you've written those items down...

DO *NOT* CLOSE THE DEVICE MANAGER WINDOW (at this time)

Power on your laser and wait for it to come up fully ("ready" mode).

Plug in the USB cable from your laser to the computer and wait 3-7 minutes.

XP should either say "NEW DEVICE FOUND..." and begin to attempt to configure it,

OR

In the DEVICE MANAGER window, under the PORTS listing you may see a new port appear.

If a new port appears...
Write the new COM port number down and goto your laser software and select this port for you laser to communicate on.

If it still doesn't work, try using the existing COM port that was listed before plugging in the laser.

Let us know what happens.

Clark Pace
06-20-2014, 10:20 PM
Yes,

so far it has been a fine machine. Knock on wood!! Only glitch is that occasionally it want to invert the image to be etched. But maybe I just pushing something by accident.

p.s. probably not the problem, but have you tried a different usb cable, and different flash drive?

J James
06-21-2014, 7:05 PM
Thank you so much everyone for all the suggestions.

I received 100 times more support from this forum than I received from the person who sold me the machine. This is a great place to be!

Unfortunately, I am still unable to get the Laser Cutter to work. I really think I have a flakey control board as everything I try to make it work fails.
I believe I can send this unit back and get a refund, but I really need an inexpensive laser that can cut ¼” wood (and engrave). I had access to an older Epilog 60 Watt machine that is now gone and I need something to replace it. For what I do I’m not sure I can justify an expensive machine (but I would love to have one).

If anyone has any recommendations for a good quality laser please let me know.

Thank you so much.

Best Regards,
Jay

J James
06-21-2014, 7:12 PM
Thanks Robert.

Yes, I have done these things and I can see the Laser Machine in Device Manager but I get a message from Windows that there is a hardware error with the Laser. I have tried all the drivers that were sent to me from the seller and nothing.

I think I have a bad control board and am trying to work out a solution with the seller.

Thanks again!

Jay

Graham Phelps
08-21-2014, 10:05 AM
Thanks Robert.

Yes, I have done these things and I can see the Laser Machine in Device Manager but I get a message from Windows that there is a hardware error with the Laser. I have tried all the drivers that were sent to me from the seller and nothing.

I think I have a bad control board and am trying to work out a solution with the seller.

Thanks again!

Jay

Uninstall version 8, and download RDCam 6.
I had the same problen as you, and this worked for me.

John Noell
08-21-2014, 1:51 PM
The USB-TO-SERIAL chips are notorious at changing COM ports at random when things are powered on/off, plugged/unplugged, etc.
The COM port assignment is tied to the physical USB port on the computer. When you plug a device into a different USB port on the computer the driver is actually re-installed and you get a new COM number. Put the plug back into the same port and the number should be the same. (I have dealt with this many many times as the yachties who come here often have nav gear with serial ports but their laptops don't. So they use RS232-USB bridges. BTW - you can also re-assign any COM number to the bridge using device manager->ports->your present COM->properties->port settings->advanced.)

Julian Ashcroft
08-22-2014, 3:43 AM
I have the same machine. It came with Laserworks 6, which worked fine and the drivers installed correctly. When I heard about RDWorks V8 I got the company to send me that. I installed it and it wouldn't communicate with the laser, even after taking all traces of V6 off the computer and doing a clean install of V8, so went back to V6. What version do you have?

David Somers
08-22-2014, 11:27 AM
Julian,

Not sure I would suggest doing this if you have already gone back to V6 and it is working OK. But sometimes poorly written software does not uninstall gracefully. Going through the computer and removing folders and files can help, but likely there are still lots of references to it scattered through the Windows Registry. In those cases I have had to search through the registry for those bits and delete them manually. Something to be done cautiously needless to say. Just FYI.

Dave

Jerome Stanek
08-22-2014, 12:24 PM
I just had this problem on my laser wen I tried to set up a new computer. I had to go into the device manager and upgrade the usb controller now it works. I am now using RDCAM 6.0.41