PDA

View Full Version : Art lamps , our new product...

Rodne Gold
06-20-2014, 4:48 AM
Launching a range of these desk standing type lamps in the next 2 weeks.
Waddya thunk?
Circa $300 for one like this , Solid African rosewood base , around 5-7w LEd power (12v) - gives enough light for ambient and general lighting

1" thick acrylic
Around 12" high

This one is just a "proof of concept" sample , the shell is V carved and the back blue panel is laser engraved , 2 different glows , edges polished and sand blasted to act as a light radiator

Robert Walters
06-20-2014, 8:47 AM
Very Nice Rodney,

I like the black base over the rosewood personally.

Might stain inside the slot, so not an eyesore when off.
My eyes went straight to the bare wood.

One thing I've found is that when the light is off, the acrylic looks "sterile" imo.
Maybe you could fill the engraving with a subtle but contrasting color so the design sticks out it when off?
Though, in yours it could just be the photo.

sarah beck
06-20-2014, 8:59 AM
Very nice! I agree about staining the slot, but I personally like the clean look of the engraving without colour. What kind of fixture do you use inside the base? Just curious about the bulb and how it sits inside the base.
I hope they do well for you, they really look fantastic!

Dee Gallo
06-20-2014, 9:06 AM
Great concept and execution, Rodney! I'm curious about the electrical line - is it possible to run this off batteries? I use edge-lit lamps for night lights all the time but this will give off more light and prove very versatile!

John Bion
06-20-2014, 10:11 AM
Looks great Rodney. The frosted edge is a very good idea, given the purpose of this (light), not just for a pretty picture. This one certainly has a Cape flavour, but the imagination could take it anywhere.
Kind Regards, John

Rodne Gold
06-20-2014, 10:22 AM
The wood stain removed when routering is an eyesore - but this was our 1st one , so we will stain the wood if we do a similar design.
Base is something I had on hand , its not ideal shape etc. I will make my own more suitable bases on the CnC machine if using wood , we are also going to do cold metal cast bases

Yes it does look a little insipid when not lit - I will address that in some way by adding accents.. tho I want to keep it clean..I was hoping for a conversation piece when unlit and a WOW when lit..I shall think about this and see whether a paint fill glows....or add some translucent vinyl or something...

I have various flat led modules I use , aprox 2.4w per acrylic slab , I cnc a recess and wire routing in the base , blue colour is generated by putting a simply strip of blue sign vinyl along the slab where it rests on LEDS
Its all 12v using a wall wart , but you can probably also get lower voltages so you can run via battery , however at the brightness level mine are at , I am not sure how long batteries could last....

My next one might be over ambitious - I am launching a Co that will be manufacturing accessories for high end audio - like isolation footers and isolation tables to stop vibrations as well as other items like mass dampers , turntable bits etc.. all made on site - a lot out of 25mm thick acrylic
Part of the range of products is a "Vanity" section , where we will make Hifi/music oriented things just cos they look nice , like Audiophile art - and the next lamp is the first in the "audiophile" series
It will be a Cold cast Bronze bass with 3 abstract jazz musicians playing their instruments all on different planes .. not sure just yet how complex it will be .. but this is a "personal" project , one of the finished products will go in my Hifi room.
I will sell direct to user and will even consider doing one offs to your specs , so long as i can use the design in my range..

Folk spend serious money on high end hifi , $25 000 for speakers or an amp is not a lot , a $300 lamp is chicken feed :)

Here is a mural I did for my room , an example of audiophile art...

Doug Griffith
06-20-2014, 8:36 PM
Very cool. I've been playing around with Acrylite Endlighten and you should check it out. The rear panel would be great in that material.

Mike Null
06-21-2014, 7:07 AM
Rodney

Wonderful work on your mural. I didn't realize you were a talented artist. I can envision that bringing a handsome price.

Rodne Gold
06-21-2014, 12:39 PM
Mike , I WISH I were so talented , I saw a similar design on the net and used it for inspiration..
I cant draw artistically .. got plenty ideas and can do tech stuff well ..

Dennis Watson
06-22-2014, 5:04 PM
Where are you buying your acrylic?

Thanks.

EDIT: Oh, your not in the US.

Rodne Gold
06-23-2014, 2:33 AM
I import from China
20mm = $315 a sheet for a 1220 x 2440 sheet (4ft x 8ft)
and add 25% on that for 25mm
IE round $10 a sq ft for 20mm and $12.50 for 25
You still have to add customs and freight etc - round another 30% on top for landed cost

Robert Walters
06-23-2014, 4:05 AM
20mm 4x8 ft sheet

JEEBUS, that's got to be heavy!

You have a gantry crane setup to move that around?

How many sheets do you get at a time?
How are they packaged?

Rodne Gold
06-23-2014, 6:26 AM
I bring in at least 7 tons (1 ton = 1000kg - 2200lbs) of acrylic a year , they are all shipped on pallets.
I mix and match 2 colours (clear and black) and a few thicknesses in clear.
I bring it all in in one shot , timing the purchase with our yearly order and stick it in the same 40ft container , takes very little space
I also bring in massive amounts of engraving laminates a well as 8-10 colours of mirror acrylic sheeting.
All for my own use.. we don't on sell.
Not sure what the 20mm weighs , but a single sheet is easily handled by 2 ppl.

Jon Sollee
06-23-2014, 3:00 PM
Seems a bit pricey for desk lamp. Reminds me of the company "BULBING." They manufacture wooden bases and acrylic laser etched designs that are interchangeable, and are lit by LEDs. Very cool design though. :]

Brett Tossell
06-23-2014, 7:44 PM
Beautiful artwork... incredible job. I'm again impressed by the talent on this board!

Robert Walters
06-23-2014, 8:37 PM
I bring in at least 7 tons All for my own use

Rodney,

You aren't slowly building a glass (acrylic) house now are you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1yZl9HVLd0

=)

Rodne Gold
07-02-2014, 10:43 AM
Round 2 - prototype of my "jazz lamp"

Glen Monaghan
07-02-2014, 11:22 AM
I like it, but I'd be inclined to route the power cord out the back rather than the side.

Rodne Gold
07-02-2014, 12:03 PM
Yes , you are right

Amendments planned are :

Change power chord to back
Add dimmer
Reverse V carve the "Jazz" deeper (It was front engraved in the prototype)
Straighten out jazz players body curves to stop light blockage
Less solid laser engraving as it robs the tops of the figures re light
Brighter leds
More dimensionality by rotating some of the figures and putting them on another level and re siting the "jazz" , perhaps more closely spaced
slightly Smaller base and smaller granite slab

Glen Monaghan
07-02-2014, 12:27 PM
Don't know if you can apply/engrave a gradient with your setup, but engraving a bit deeper at the top (farther from LEDs) than at the bottom (closer to LEDs) will help even out the diffused brightness because the deeper engraving will catch light rays missed by the more shallow areas closer to the LEDs. Similarly, going a bit deeper in those overhang areas such as the elbows would brighten them some too.

Rodne Gold
07-02-2014, 1:01 PM
I can and have done fades for even lighting , but its complex and I sort of like the fading effect..more "arty"
I can also vary depth with the overhead router in respect of v carved outlines
Also complicated... :)
In the dark or under darker conditions the lamps are quite spectacular , i shot this in bright conditions
I am experimenting with various options right now , but time is hard to get on my machines for prototyping