PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt 735 Died

Kieran Kammerer
06-19-2014, 11:09 PM
My Dewalt planer (which I have had for about 10 years in a hobby shop) stopped dead about 10 days ago when it was running but without any wood going throughout it. I took it all apart, checked all the switches, cleaned everything, checked contacts with meter, etc. Sent away for a new set of brushes. After the new brushes were installed, it ran for about 4 minutes (did not try planing anything during that time) and then died again. During that time, the motors RPMs seemed to fluctuate a bit. Would appreciate any thoughts. If it remains dead, I will probably have a shelix head for sale (rather then the whole planer). My A3-31 should arrive Thursday!

Thanks,

Kieran

Jim Mackell
06-20-2014, 6:38 AM
How much for the shelix head for a fellow Mainiac?

Kieran Kammerer
06-20-2014, 6:53 AM
Jim, PM sent.

Charles Lent
06-20-2014, 8:11 AM
Kieran,

The motor armature is likely your problem, but it's possible that something else is bad. I would take it to a DeWalt Service Center. I don't know if they offer the same deal for planers, but they had a fixed price complete rebuild deal for drills a few years back. My son took an 18 volt drill back to them that was totally wore out and the case was cracked. He's a line technician for the cable company and uses it every day to open and close the cast aluminum amplifier cases withh 16 bolts around the perimeter. For about 1/2 the cost of a new drill they took care of it (I think they gave him a new drill). His was so heavily used that it had finger wear marks in the case. I love my 735 and don't know what I would do without it.

Charley

Kieran Kammerer
06-20-2014, 10:39 AM
Thanks Charley

Bill Graham
06-21-2014, 5:30 PM
Just put the original head back in before you take it to Dewalt, they're likely to just give you a refurb off the shelf.

Kieran Kammerer
06-21-2014, 8:42 PM
Thanks Bill