PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding splinter infections ??

John Snyder
05-23-2003, 2:01 PM
Hi - I'm trying to find out if there is something lumber or plywood may be treated with that would cause splinters to become infected. Also, I wonder if the wood carries some bacteria that would infect a splinter wound ? Would anybody have any info on this, or know of any websites that might help me out? Much appreciated all ...

John

Brad Hammond
05-23-2003, 2:26 PM
be followed up by your physician.
any break on the skin is at risk for bacteria entering the skin and multiplying therefore causing infection. if you get a splinter the first culprit is usually the bacteria that lives on our skin. after that one would look to bacteria that live in dirt, or any fungus that may have began due to improper storage and such.
bottom line is that bacteria are everywhere. unless something is sterilized or prepared in a sterile environment (which sawmills aren't) one must assume that "something" has bacteria and other microbes on or in it, and if you break the skin you'll introduce that bacteria and most likely cause an infection.
now, usually as wood workers we get little nicks and scratches all the time that our body can fight and take care of, but sometimes we all get that one big one that goes really deep. when that happens the skin closes around the bacteria and creates an environment that they love... warm, plenty of food, protection against the elements.....who wouldnt love it.
hope this wasn't a ramble.
remember........check with your doc.
cya
brad

Gary Bindel
05-23-2003, 2:36 PM
The best defense against infections is to wash your hands frequently. I agree with everything Brad said. If you find yourself getting frequent infections, it could be a sign of a depressed immune system and I would recommend a complete checkup.

Steven Wilson
05-23-2003, 4:19 PM
Originally posted by Gary Bindel
If you find yourself getting frequent infections, it could be a sign of a depressed immune system and I would recommend a complete checkup.

It can also be a sign of Diabetes

Barbara Gill
05-24-2003, 12:09 PM
Some woods are more irritating than others so that as splinters would affect how the body reacts. There is one wood, I believe Greenheart, which is labeled as poisonous as so far as splinters go. I never have been able to find out exactly what that means. I have found that walnut dust will cause a cut to take longer to heal.
I never have had an infection from a splinter. Sometimes when I have one which is deep it will fester slightly making removal easier if the spot is opened up. If I just leave the splinter alone the area usually heals itself. I do seem to have a very strong immune system though.

Sam Chambers
05-24-2003, 12:27 PM
Just another bit of info about splinters. It is possible for a splinter to work its way inot a blood vessel and travel inside your circulatory system. When I was a youngster, I got a splinter in my arm that entered a blood vessel. It was close to the surface, and my mopther watched it as it traveled up my arm and across my chest. The doctor took it out when it reached the opposite shoulder.

Under the right circumstances, something like this could cause real problems. So, I take the safe route and get the splinters out ASAP.

Phil Phelps
05-24-2003, 6:43 PM
....you had to be careful of sinister old men with wooden dentures :D

John Snyder
05-26-2003, 7:06 PM
I appreciate it.
JS