PDA

View Full Version : Photos - My Electrical Gloat......And A Little Sumpin Special

Corey Hallagan
06-30-2005, 8:30 PM
Probably not a big deal for most but it is for me after years of plugging and unplugging everything in to an extension cord in one outlet! Here are a couple photos of what I had done and a new tool to plug into it :)

Here is the panel and the first of the new outlets, I guess I should of opened the stupid thing up..:
http://www.gpxd.com/Woodworking/Pic2.JPG

Here Is the end of the new run of outlets. 2 seperate 20 Amp Circuits
http://www.gpxd.com/Woodworking/Pic1.JPG

Here is the Circuit in the ceiling for the plug in of lighing and I don't have to run an extension cord any more and it runs to an on off switch on the wall and a always powered outlet on the end by the radio.
http://www.gpxd.com/Woodworking/Pic3.JPG

And A New Tool I Picked Up To Plug Into It!! :)
http://www.gpxd.com/Woodworking/Pic4.JPG

And I just ordered a little something special tonight! Hopefully it will be here in approximately a week. Thanks for looking. Again, thanks to all those creekers who helped me out with advise!

Corey

Jeff Fritzson
06-30-2005, 8:50 PM
Congratulations on the new electrical. I am sure it is going to make your woodworking life much more pleasant. And so will that sweet saw.

Tim Morton
06-30-2005, 9:19 PM
As soneone who is still a slave to the extension cords and has no 220...let me be the first to say..I'm jealous!!! But now that i am gainfully employed once again and (knock on wood) my wife seems to be fine with her commute, your post motivates me to call back the electrician who was scheduled to do mine 3 months ago...

congrats!!!!:cool:

Corey Hallagan
06-30-2005, 9:36 PM
Thanks guys! Tim, you will be glad you did, on top of it I was constantly blowing a fuse etc. It will still be necessary to use an extension cord for some things like the table saw as not nearly long enough cord but at least I don't have to keep unplugging one tool to plug in another and on and on and on.

Dale Thompson
06-30-2005, 9:41 PM
Hey Bluffman,
What are you going to do with all of those outlets when you have only one tool to plug in? :confused: Are you going to put wheels on your workbench and just move it round to show off a bit? :D Also, what's that curly thing on your ceiling going to the lights? In northern Wisconsin we use three or four runs of speaker wire and staple them to our cardboard "beams". :cool: :)

Are you sure that there is REALLY something inside of that "closed" box? :confused: Make sure that you are "grounded" before you open it. Your contractor may have left you a few stray electrons as part of the contract. :eek: :eek:

Whatever, congratulations Corey!! NICE JOB!! :) :D

NO! I'm not interested in buying any "slightly used" extension cords!! :cool:

Dale T.

Bill Simmeth
06-30-2005, 9:42 PM
Corey congrats! I know there was some discussion about the bid the man gave you, but I from what I see he did a really nice job - very professional looking - and IMHO worth the price. Plus, he showed up and got the job done! Not a small matter in today's market. Enjoy!

Bill Simmeth
Delaplane, VA

Corey Hallagan
06-30-2005, 9:49 PM
Yes Dale, my first project is to build a mobile base for the new saw :) I am thinking of a miniature version of the Rockler base and I would make you a deal on the extension cords, some don't even have any cuts or bared wire showing :eek: . Thanks Dale!

Bill thanks, I am very happy with it. Actually the bids all came in very close and and this guy wanted to do it and threw in some extra work that you can't see in fixing some of the previous work that wasn't right. So the price was right I think. The funny thing is that I actually got a bid in the mail today. A little on the late side :rolleyes: !

Corey

Rob Russell
06-30-2005, 10:10 PM
Looks great! One thing to check - the (2) separate 20 amp circuits - are the outlets splitwired so 1 circuit is on top and the other circuit is on the bottom? If the answer is yes, the NEC requires that the breakers for the 2 circuits are tied together. The most likely thing would be a 2-pole breaker commonly used for a 240v circuit. If you don't have a common disconnect for those 2 circuits, you need to call the electrician back and have him fix that.

Rob

Corey Hallagan
06-30-2005, 10:31 PM
I am not sure Rob. Maybe I phrased it wrong. Currently i have 2 new 20 amp breakers hooked up . One has 2 outlets on it and the other has 2 outlets on it. I wanted to be able to have one with the table saw hooked up and using it and the other having say my compressor hooked up so I wasn't sharing it and the compressor turn on while sawing and trip the breaker. Does that make sense?
Corey

Jason Tuinstra
06-30-2005, 11:46 PM
Corey, nice gloat. I'm sure this makes life a whole lot easier. And the little trim saw is going to be a nice addition. I use my 14.4 DeWalt all the time.

Vaughn McMillan
07-01-2005, 4:13 AM
Nice job, Corey. You'll have more time to play with your tools instead of playing with extension cords. I have more than one outlet in my garage/shop, but the extension cord nest on the floor is a pain. I'm still waiting for my electrician to give me a price for an upgrade similar to yours, so the LOML and I can decide if we can afford it right now.

Enjoy your new power...

- Vaughn

Dale Rodabaugh
07-01-2005, 5:58 AM
Way to go.Cool man.I like it.:cool: :cool: :cool:

lou sansone
07-01-2005, 6:21 AM
nice job.. glad to see all the EMT. I think for a shop that having your wiring in conduit is really the way to go. best wishes

lou

Rob Russell
07-01-2005, 8:31 AM
I am not sure Rob. Maybe I phrased it wrong. Currently i have 2 new 20 amp breakers hooked up . One has 2 outlets on it and the other has 2 outlets on it. I wanted to be able to have one with the table saw hooked up and using it and the other having say my compressor hooked up so I wasn't sharing it and the compressor turn on while sawing and trip the breaker. Does that make sense?
Corey

Corey,

It makes a lot of sense to have separate circuits for machinery and potential "on-demand" circuits like an air compressor. I'd run a 3rd circuit for a dust collector.

My question was based on seeing a single run of conduit with receptacles spaced a bit apart. The electrician could have wired it 3 ways:

The receptacle under the window is the same circuit as the receptacle under the ladder;
The receptacle under the window is on a different circuit as the receptacle under the ladder and the conductors share the same conduit (which is perfectly acceptable); or,
The receptacles are "split-wired" and are on a "multi-wire" circuit. This would mean that the top outlet on each receptacle is on circuit #1 and the bottom outlet on each receptacle is on circuit #2. That way you'd have access to both circuits anywhere in the shop.

The issue is that, with option #3, there are some code requirements specific to multiwire circuits. Specifically, if you have multiple circuits feeding devices on the same yoke (split-wiring the receptacle is an example of this), you need to be able to kill power to all of the hot conductors simultaneously.

If you aren't using option #3, then you don't have anything to worry about.

Rob

Ken Fitzgerald
07-01-2005, 9:04 AM
Congrats Corey! It's a booger having only one outlet. That's what I had on my carport. I couldn't run the a/c and the table saw at the same time as it overloaded the breaker. And if my wife used the microwave.......it tripped too!

Lou Morrissette
07-01-2005, 9:57 AM
Way to go, Corey. Your gonna love it. I struggled for years tripping over chords and finally got a real shop with more than one plug and was in heaven. Enjoy!

Lou

mike malone
07-01-2005, 3:17 PM
Hey Corey
Congrats...
Didn't this all mushroom out of just a reorganization of your shop a month or so ago???
it's the Domino Theory, baby!! Yer good top go!
regards
mike

Corey Hallagan
07-01-2005, 5:12 PM
Thanks guys! Appreciate it. Mike, yes more or less. I knew that I was going to have to do something for the kitchen remodel cause we don't have a dishwasher and we are putting one in and the panel is full. Then I found out the TS wouldn't run on what I had so it became a bigger priority and that blossomed in to what you see.

I don't feel so bad guys, seems I wasn't the only one to struggle with the bare minimum for some time.

Corey

Todd Davidson
07-01-2005, 8:15 PM
Hi Corey~

Congrats man! I'm inspired - despite the "bug" that's still giving me grief - to get my butt in gear and get my electric finished up. You, on the other hand, need to make some saw dust with that new saw that finally has some juice.
In peace, Todd

Corey Hallagan
07-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Thanks Todd, sorry to hear that "bug" is still keeping you down. Here's to a speedy recovery man. Kim will take care of yah!!

Corey