PDA

View Full Version : air brush messing with wood

charlie knighton
06-19-2014, 2:44 PM
I going in new direction and have done some open top forms in maple and Bradford pear......

having bad experiences with wood showing tear out where oil finish it would have been fine

the paint as it dry is affecting the finish.......I am using acrylic mixed with dna .......

let me go take some pictures........trying to cover up mess with plaster of paris

charlie knighton
06-19-2014, 3:00 PM
please do not hurt yourself laughing

robert baccus
06-19-2014, 3:08 PM
Might try SS to give even absorption.

charlie knighton
06-19-2014, 4:06 PM
ok.......what is SS, how do you mix it , does it work with acrylic and air brush?????? any tips

Bill Boehme
06-19-2014, 4:09 PM
Charlie, yoou might try something similar to what I did on a vase. I applied a layer of Minwax Wood Filler on the interior surface and quickly followed up by creating a grooved scratch pattern using carvers hand rasps while the piece is slowly rotating on the lathe. The wood filler dries fairly rapidly so you need to advance in steps rather than trying to do it all at once. Next, I sprayed stone texture spray paint on the interior. This creates a look similar to a vase that is similar to one made on a potter's wheel. The exterior can be done as you wish. One option would be to sand it smooth, seal the wood and then use the stone texture spray paint. Designs can be painted on the exterior as a final touch.

As far as tearout goes, it might be the wood or it could be a dull tool or it might be chatter.

charlie knighton
06-19-2014, 4:28 PM
ss could be sanding sealer?????????????

Don Orr
06-19-2014, 8:55 PM
If I'm not mistaken acrylic paint is usually thinned with water not dna. Build it up in layers and sand it back til you get a smooth surface.

Chip Sutherland
06-19-2014, 11:32 PM
I have used white and black gesso as a base on turnings. I thinned mine but unthinned I believe it would have covered your surface defects. I also burnish it to get a smoother surface. It remains paintable. I have never shot thinned acrylic through my airbrushes but acrylics work fine on gesso so I don't think the delivery method would make much difference. If I remember right, gesso is crystalline clay particles suspended in an acrylic base. Too lazy to go out an read the label on my jars.