PDA

View Full Version : Spraying Picnic Table

Frank Drackman
06-19-2014, 9:24 AM
I am in the process of making "little kids" picnic tables for grandkids and other assorted urchins. Each kid has put in a request for paint color(s) but I am more of an oil finish guy so I am a bit stumped. My first attempt was brushed on oil primer followed by semi-gloss latex. It looks OK but has a bit of the look that it was painted by State Park summer interns.

I have spray equipment, and back when Carter was President I worked in an auto body shop so I am familiar with the general concepts of spraying. I primed many,many cars and even completely painted a few in lacquer. When I started to research spraying high-gloss on wood I ran into all sort of conflicting information... including to thin latex with windshield washer fluid instead of Floetrol.

The tables are made of pine and sanded to 400. The goal is to obtain a durable, glossy finish. I am looking for suggestions for type of primer and finish as well as methods/tips for applying.

Located in coastal southern maine.

As always, thanks for your help - Frank

Justin Jump
06-19-2014, 11:57 AM
I just sprayed a workbench with this:

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/paint-products/benjamin-moore-arborcoat-exterior-stain?OVMTC=Broad&site=&creative=12343233473&OVKEY=arborcoat%20exterior%20stain&url_id=133133379&adpos=1t1&device=c&devicemodel=&gclid=CO_N_7mnhr8CFRQ1MgodyDgASQ#advs=0&tab=2

I cannot attest to it's long term durability, but the guy I built the bench for is a painter, and he stated he uses it all the time. I sprayed it with HVLP using 1.4mm tip, 3 coats, and it looked good when I was done.

Frank Drackman
06-19-2014, 2:47 PM
Thank you Justin

I just sprayed a workbench with this:

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/paint-products/benjamin-moore-arborcoat-exterior-stain?OVMTC=Broad&site=&creative=12343233473&OVKEY=arborcoat%20exterior%20stain&url_id=133133379&adpos=1t1&device=c&devicemodel=&gclid=CO_N_7mnhr8CFRQ1MgodyDgASQ#advs=0&tab=2

I cannot attest to it's long term durability, but the guy I built the bench for is a painter, and he stated he uses it all the time. I sprayed it with HVLP using 1.4mm tip, 3 coats, and it looked good when I was done.

johnny means
06-19-2014, 11:55 PM
Do you have access to oil based enamels? That would be my first choice. Though I know some states have pretty much outlawed them.