PDA

View Full Version : Only 101 Degrees today....

Dennis Peacock
06-30-2005, 7:08 PM
Well....It only hit 101º F today. :rolleyes:

I at least know that summer is here and it's time to stay inside as much as possible. ;)
Power outages are frequent this time of year due to the oveall drain on the power grid of everyone trying to stay cool. Where I work we are 9 LARGE Catapillar Diesel Generators that the local power company calls us up and we fire up all the generators to help feed and reduce the strain on the commercial power grid. I haven't seen these generators up close and personal but I do know that two of these babies occupy a 1,600 Sq Ft building all to them selves. The exhaust stack on a single generator is a 10" steel pipe!!!! :eek:

Any....I'm VERY glad my A/C works well and I can sit here and paruse the forum in the cool of my home. :D :D :D

Larry Browning
06-30-2005, 7:36 PM
Amen to that!!!!!!!!!
The wife called me about 4:30 this afternoon to accuse me of blowing the transformer when I wired up my new Gorilla yesterday. I said "I know I'm no electrician, but I really don't think I caused the power to go out." As it turned out, the power was out in our whole area, from Alma to Mountainburg. But it was back on by the time I got home.

Jim Becker
06-30-2005, 9:40 PM
Dennis, I was at a customer's data center last week (a financial institution in New England) and they were just finishing installing a couple of those big-butt generators like you describe. Those stacks are so big, the place looks like a river boat!!

Stay cool... ;)

Joe Mioux
06-30-2005, 9:53 PM
Hey Dennis:
If you do get up close...bring some ear muffs! Those things are LOUD!:eek:

Dennis Peacock
06-30-2005, 10:58 PM
Hey Dennis:
If you do get up close...bring some ear muffs! Those things are LOUD!:eek:

I hear ya Joe.!!! Our 4 story office building is within 100 feet of 4 of those babies and the building vibrates while they are running as well as the noise! :eek: The vibrations come from the subsonics that those boys create while running. In this heat, those things crank and work hard!!! I gotta get me some pics of those babies next time I catch the service crew working on them. ;) :)