PDA

View Full Version : A plane with lots of numbers on it

steven c newman
06-18-2014, 8:44 PM
Well, to start, the main number I like is the winning bid for this plane....$00.01 Yep, won it for a Penny.:eek: Of course, S&H was high @ $9.95 :D
Now, about the rest of the numbers291504this is what came today in the mail. Stamped into that side of the base casting is 5C BB 291505yep, a jack plane. Made for Sears Craftsman by Millers Falls. That lever cap has a keyhole style bolt hole. Underside of it has two sets of numbers, a 495, and a 3 The Logo has a blue field around the "CRAFTSMAN" . Iron is stamped as a Craftsman. Ironhad a flat back, but right in the center of the edge, it worn worn a bit. Need to refresh that. The lateral was a typical M-F style291506brass wheel, red frog. The front knob sits on a raised ring291507bolts for the handles were just that, bolts. Steel with a flat head. Took this down to the shop for a quick clean up, and a little work on that iron291508The japanning is about 80%. Not really going to mess with it. Cleaned the rust off. All bolts clean and shiny. Iron was honed to 2K and tried out291509right now, there is no camber on the edge. Might get some Blue paint and refill around the logo. Handles had zero issues, might leave them alone, as well. Hey, for a penny? It might be .....OK.:D

Cody Kemble
06-18-2014, 8:51 PM
If all else fails you can turn it into an obscenely priced coat hanger and make a hefty profit.

steven c newman
06-19-2014, 8:04 AM
Oh, it's very ok. Under all that Craftsman stuff, this is a Millers Falls 14c. Black base, and red frog. Might be a type four, or a five. Iron flattened right up, and once the edge was corrected, sharpened up with no problems. Handles have no defects. This might just be a keeper.......for a PENNY

Bill Houghton
06-19-2014, 4:07 PM
Yes, I'm also very aware that Craftsman, Montgomery Ward, and other hardware store brands can often be major deals. I've got a 1930s or so Craftsman #3, made by Millers-Falls, that's auditioning to replace my Stanley #3. It think it might make the cut when I get a chance to try it out.

The trick - and I think the tuition here is time and making some mistakes - is to know what clues to look for that will tell you the tool is well-made by a respected company. Some of the later Craftsman, etc. stuff was apparently made by manufacturers who'd never seen a good plane and had no idea what one would look/perform like.

steven c newman
06-19-2014, 5:58 PM
That was the reason I went after this one. All signs pointed to it being made by Millers Falls. And the price wasn't bad, either....