PDA

View Full Version : Making a shaving brush

Moses Yoder
06-18-2014, 7:44 PM
I am getting this BADGER HAIR KNOT (http://thegoldennib.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_91&products_id=243) to make a brush. What are the considerations ie. water, concerning a wooden handle? I am thinking it will be a cocobolo handle, I think that is pretty impervious to water, but was just wondering. DOes it need a plastic collar as shown in the pic?

Raymond Fries
06-18-2014, 7:53 PM
Contact Mark Yunt. He has some awesome posts here as he restores old razors and I am sure he can be of great help to you.

Have fun with your project.

Bruce Pratt
06-18-2014, 9:14 PM
You should probably use some kind of mounting cup. PSI may have the size you need. Regarding the handle, I did one in black and white acrylic. I figured, why risk possible problems with wet wood at some point in the future.

Pat Barry
06-19-2014, 8:34 AM
Moses, how did you decide between the "Finest", the "BEST", the "Premium", and the "Grade A"? LOL
edit - also the "Super".
Nothing like overused superlatives to provide distinction between models.

Moses Yoder
06-19-2014, 6:08 PM
Moses, how did you decide between the "Finest", the "BEST", the "Premium", and the "Grade A"? LOL
edit - also the "Super".
Nothing like overused superlatives to provide distinction between models.

I just let go and jumped. I will let you know how I land. It is shipping tomorrow, should have it next week.

David Weaver
06-19-2014, 6:55 PM
Moses, cocobolo is fine. I put a magnet in the bottom of my brush and a screw in the top of my medicine cabinet and I just stick the brush to the screw and let it dry that way.

I epoxied my knot into my brush about 2 years ago and no issue (I hang the brush upside down so that any water in the brush goes to the brush tips as it's stored instead of into the knot)

I did not put a finish on my cocobolo handle, but did burnish it. It has not gotten dirty looking or water stained, it still looks decent.