PDA

View Full Version : Shaving; Schick Krona

Moses Yoder
06-18-2014, 6:56 PM
I have slowly become interested in vintage shaving. I clearly remember the first time I shaved. I had never seen my dad shave, and my whiskers were getting long enough that people commented on them. One Saturday afternoon I figured I would shave so went in the bathroom, closed and locked the door. I picked up a razor laying on the sink and went to town on my whiskers. I had no idea shaving cream existed or what it was for. My face burned for hours. Gradually I learned how to shave just by trying different things. I have always used disposable razors, mostly the Gillette Mach 3 which is a good razor. Last time I switched systems and bought a 5 blade razor and lived to regret it. I am about out of razors right now and was looking at different systems when I stopped by my mom's house today. I saw one of my dad's old razors on the tables we are getting ready for garage sale and picked it up; I owe her a dollar for it. I could not figure out how to get it open so googled for directions and found some. Needless to say I am pumped; all I have to do yet is get some good double edge razor blades.

John Coloccia
06-18-2014, 7:10 PM
I've been using a safety razor for a while now. Much better shave than the fancy 2 - 18 blade razors they have now, IMHO, but it does take some technique. I stopped using a straight razor just because it's a pain in the butt to maintain the blade. I may get one of those straight razors that use a disposable blade, but the safety on is great.

Next, get yourself some good shaving cream and shave oil. Not Gillette Foamy garbage. Honest to goodness shaving cream. Better yet, get good shaving soap too, and lather up by putting a drop of cream on the brush, and THEN lather up the soap. Easily the best combination I've tried.

I happen to use this:
http://www.theartofshaving.com/Shaving-Cream/00670535300038,default,pd.html?start=2&cgid=shaving-products-shaving-cream&navid=shaving-products-shaving-cream

with this:
http://www.crabtree-evelyn.com/80203/80203,default,pd.html?cgid=for-him-shaving-creams-soaps#start=1
(refills are only $12.50).

For oil, I use this:
http://www.theartofshaving.com/Pre-Shave-Oil/00670535100034,default,pd.html?start=2&cgid=shaving-products-pre-shave-oil&navid=shaving-products-pre-shave-oil

or my latest one, this:
http://www.target.com/p/king-of-shaves-alpha-shave-oil/-/A-15090184?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=google_pla_df&LNM=15090184&CPNG=Health+Beauty&kpid=15090184&LID=17pgs&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=15090184&gclid=CP7R66fHhL8CFQMaOgodwWwASQ

I've also been experimenting with this:
http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/Cremo-Cream-Shave-Cream?skuId=687713

instead of the other cream. Not sure how I like it yet.

And of course, you absolutely need to splash cold water and follow up with this:
http://www.theartofshaving.com/After-Shave-Balm/00670535250036,default,pd.html?start=2&cgid=shaving-products-after-shave&navid=shaving-products-after-shave

but that's wicked expensive, so I've started using this:
http://www.drugstore.com/neutrogena-men-sensitive-skin-post-shave-balm/qxp239925

I also have all of the "Art Of Shaving" stuff above in lavender when I'm in a girly, foo foo mood.

Of course, you'll also need a decent badger hair brush. Your wallet will be your guide on this one.

But think of all the money you'll save on cartridges! ...ha ha ha

Yes, my wife poked some fun at me in the beginning, but a quick tour of the OTHER 75% of the bathroom she takes up, plus her massive makeup storage and application workbench, quickly put an end to that.

Honestly, though, the good stuff can be used VERY sparingly and lasts a LONG time. You'll overuse it at first, but you'll soon find that just a tiny drop of oil and cream is all you need.

Brett Luna
06-18-2014, 7:16 PM
I've been dedicated to the straight razor for a few years but I've had a hankering to try a safety razor. I've heard very good things about Feather blades.

Mark Bolton
06-18-2014, 7:16 PM
I shaved with my dad's for years. Still have it and use it occasionally. +1 on the bit of technique.

I just received a free shick 5 blade razor in the mail for what reason I don't know. Then I priced the refills and almost pooped myself. No wonder they sent me a free razor.

David G Baker
06-18-2014, 7:27 PM
I get a good shave by using a Norelco shaver prior to using one of the 5 blade razors, this makes the 5 blade last for quite a bit longer than if I use the the blade razor alone. I keep one of the double edge razors on hand along with a couple of containers with a full load of blades just in case I get in the mood to go back to the old way. I went looking for a replacement razor along with packets of blades several years ago but I didn't have any luck finding any for sale so I dug through some boxes that I had shipped here when I moved to Michigan from California and found my old razor along with the blade containers.

David Weaver
06-18-2014, 7:42 PM
Is that razor adjustable? It looks like a gillette slim or a gilette superspeed (depending on whether or not it's adjustable).

if you decide to keep using it, astra blades from amazon are about $12 for 100 shipped, and they are good.

I rarely use a DE, but I do use one when I travel. Otherwise only straight razors.

John - feather artist club or whatever they call their kamisori style razor, much better than a shavette.

Pat Barry
06-18-2014, 7:54 PM
Rechargeable electric for me thank you. I love it.

Raymond Fries
06-18-2014, 7:56 PM
I bought a vintage Gillette over a year ago and love it. I purchased 100 feather blades from amazon and still have not used all of them. They are awesome.

David Weaver
06-18-2014, 10:14 PM
Feather's hi stainless blades are the sharpest thing I have ever seen of any type. The are sharper than you can get a straight razor, and I don't know why that is, but even in microscopic pictures they are incredibly smooth at the edges.

Astra blades are like a feather blade that's been shaved a few times, but still very sharp (and of course, very cheap).

Leigh Betsch
06-18-2014, 10:26 PM
I wonder if Saw Stop makes a razor.......;);)

Shawn Pixley
06-18-2014, 10:34 PM
I may have to try this. I just shaved off my beard (I kept it trimmed quite close). I had to retrain myself how to shave. I always wanted to try a straight razor, maybe now is the time.

I was going to go to a barber to get a straight razor shave. Should I try this first or dive straight in?

David Weaver
06-18-2014, 10:41 PM
You can go right to a straight razor, but chances are you'll take a few nicks in the process. Don't start it two days before you have to give a public speech.

I've never cut myself with a safety razor, but I hear people have. If you go straight to a straight razor, and then back to a safety razor for a change of pace, you'll have such good habits from learning to avoid nicks with a straight razor that you won't even need to think to avoid safety razor nicks or cuts.

After not too long, the nicks with a straight razor disappear entirely, only to show as a very minor nick every 6 months or so when you chance into doing something dumb.

We are lucky as woodworkers in that we understand basic sharpening, though getting a smooth edge on a razor is a little bit different than sharpening tools and a bit more difficult.

Mark Bolton
06-19-2014, 1:19 AM
I've had several straight razor shaves at a barber, hot towels, the whole shabang, and perhaps it's been the barber but I've never found the shave super close. I can get far closer on my own though I personally shave completely against the grain and they always shave with.

Coupled with a short attention span, and not being coordinated enough, I don't think I could pull off a straight razor shave.

I've cut myself with the razor in the OPs picture when it's set fairly aggressive so I'd be scared of what I'd accomplish with a straight razor. May not be enough clotting capability in my body.

Cody Pierce
06-19-2014, 2:14 AM
I've switched to a Merkur safety razor and couldn't be happier. I'm still trying to find the right assortment of stuff to apply in addition, but I'm already well ahead of the multi blade junk selling.

Jim Matthews
06-19-2014, 6:46 AM
Yes, my wife poked some fun at me in the beginning, but a quick tour of the OTHER 75% of the bathroom she takes up, plus her massive makeup storage and application workbench, quickly put an end to that.

I predict this was the last argument you will ever win, in your own house.

It's just a matter of time until there's stickers, Cheerios and hair - everywhere.

Raymond Fries
06-19-2014, 8:39 AM
I have never tried. Straight razor but I love my safety razor. It has adjustments from 1 to 9 and 3 works great for me. I got it from ebay. It has the knob on the bottom that opens the top up to change the blades. When I did my research, I read some posts that said that some of the new ones have a twist off handle to get to the blades and some broke when dropped. I just liked the idea of a twist knob to open it. It reminds me of the one I watched my grandfather use. I just do not have the medicine cabinet with the slot in the back to throw the blade in the wall cavity. Remember those?

Good Luck with yours....

David Weaver
06-19-2014, 9:00 AM
Raymond, when I moved into my house, one of the things I had to do was replace an old metal cabinet and custom build one to fit in the recess in the wall. Someone had wallpapered the cabinet inside, so I didn't see any slot. When I pulled the medicine cabinet off of the way, hundreds of razor blades fell out all over the place, most into my hands. They were old gilette "blue steel" blades, probably just carbon steel razor blades. It took me a couple of seconds of catching them to figure out what they were, and luckily I didn't squeeze my hands.

The razor you're talking about sounds similar to the gilette slim. My dad told me about his dad shaving with a razor that opened up (and made the hand motions to describe the trap door), and as part of an obsession with straight razor shaving, I also purchased a gilette superspeed and a fat boy (I'm not sure why the name for the fat boy, but it just has the same adjustability you're talking about with the #s). They are nice devices, permanent lifetime razors.

And for some dumb reason, I also purchased a merkur 1904 (a copy of one of the original gilettes) with an open comb, and it's a more simple device with the handle just screwing to the bottom of the head - I like the later trap door style much better.

David Weaver
06-19-2014, 9:08 AM
I've had several straight razor shaves at a barber, hot towels, the whole shabang, and perhaps it's been the barber but I've never found the shave super close. I can get far closer on my own though I personally shave completely against the grain and they always shave with.

Coupled with a short attention span, and not being coordinated enough, I don't think I could pull off a straight razor shave.

I've cut myself with the razor in the OPs picture when it's set fairly aggressive so I'd be scared of what I'd accomplish with a straight razor. May not be enough clotting capability in my body.

It's easy to shave with a straight razor, esp. once you've done it for a while. You can do a better job with it than your barber. I think barbers are in a compromised position in terms of trying to provide a really good shave, and that is that they have no idea of your skin's tolerance to closeness or going against the grain. A straight razor is the only razor type I've ever used that I can tolerate against the grain, and still only on parts of my face. Until I found them, every razor I used either caused razor burn or clogged, or whatever (I still have razorburn issues if I shave close with a DE razor).

I'd figure the draw to a barber shave is probably more the ceremony than the shave (I've never had a barber shave, though - fear of razorburn and the fact that most don't do many shaves and don't really have the skill that someone shaving two dozen people a day would - plus here at least, they can only use cheapie disposable blade straights and no brush or strop - the latter two transmit hepatitis).

The other advantage is that the straight razor is just the same every single day for months if maintained properly, and as soon as something happens that the keenness drops, 5 minutes of time on the right stone, a trip to a linen and a strop and it's back to the same again for another multi-month period.

there's a lot of junk straight razors out there, though, and a lot of junk maintenance hardware (especially junk strops that fare poorly in comparison to vintage shell strops). It's something to get into only if willing to invest the time in getting the right stuff. The razor can be the cheap part, but the other stuff can add up fast.

Rick Potter
06-19-2014, 11:57 AM
I am still back on John C's post, trying to reconcile all that shaving info with what I assume is his pic.

Rick Potter

Mark Bolton
06-19-2014, 12:28 PM
I am still back on John C's post, trying to reconcile all that shaving info with what I assume is his pic.

Rick Potter

I just assumed he was an avid trimmer haha ;-)

John Coloccia
06-19-2014, 1:04 PM

Rick Potter

OH MY GOD.....what happened to my face????

...summer's here :)

Brett Luna
06-19-2014, 2:07 PM
Don't listen to 'em, John! Although I'm experimenting with a full beard at the moment, I normally sport a tailback goatee and find that a straight razor handles long straight lines better than anything else. Either way, I still shave the neck.

Wandering back to the subject of shave soaps, creams, and oils...I got started with The Art of Shaving products and still pick up a tub of sandalwood every once in a while. A couple of my favorite creams are the Trafalgar, Sandalwood, and West Indian Lime from Truefitt & Hill. I occasionally buy matching aftershave balm. I also have some of their pre-shave oil but I don't use it very often. Shaves oils are pleasant but just doesn't seem to make a big enough difference on my face to make them worthwhile anymore. My favorite cake right now is the Marlborough, from D.R. Harris. Their cakes are made to refill their proprietary wood bowls but I mill them into a more traditional mug.

Jim Koepke
06-19-2014, 3:09 PM
The only time I like a straight razor is if I have grown a full beard and want to remove it.

Most of the time I shave in the shower without a mirror. Most straight razors probably wouldn't be good for my methods.

My razor is a Schick 3 blade job that lasts me a few months. There is also a follow up razor, a Gillette 2 blade job. the Gillette gives me razor burn if it is used for the full shave. A couple places on my face seem to get repeatedly missed by the Schick seem to get trimmed better by the Gillette, go figure.

For soap whatever bar is in the tray seems to work for me.

I like shaving and haircuts to be over as quickly as possible. I do not enjoy either. I get a haircut every spring whether I need it or not. Shave a few times a week.

Haven't decided which is more uncomfortable, a full beard or shaving.

jtk

David Weaver
06-19-2014, 3:47 PM
The only time I like a straight razor is if I have grown a full beard and want to remove it.

Most of the time I shave in the shower without a mirror. Most straight razors probably wouldn't be good for my methods.

My razor is a Schick 3 blade job that lasts me a few months. There is also a follow up razor, a Gillette 2 blade job. the Gillette gives me razor burn if it is used for the full shave. A couple places on my face seem to get repeatedly missed by the Schick seem to get trimmed better by the Gillette, go figure.

For soap whatever bar is in the tray seems to work for me.

I like shaving and haircuts to be over as quickly as possible. I do not enjoy either. I get a haircut every spring whether I need it or not. Shave a few times a week.

Haven't decided which is more uncomfortable, a full beard or shaving.

jtk

You can straight shave without looking, it's all in what you get used to. However, doing it without looking with limited elbow room and the chance of slipping on the tub while wearing no trousers evokes thoughts of a paper cutter as the razor could close if you land on it. Even if it just stuck in a finger or cheek, that'd be bad.

Art Mulder
06-19-2014, 3:56 PM
I have always used disposable razors, mostly the Gillette Mach 3 which is a good razor. Last time I switched systems and bought a 5 blade razor and lived to regret it.

This sentence I don't understand... :confused:
What did you regret about the five blade system?

I used a Trac-II (two blade) for decades, before finally trying one of the new 5-blade systems around 18months ago, and I could not believe how smoothly they cut my beard. I compared the gillette (Fusion) and Schick (Hydro) and found them almost equivalent, though I stuck with the gillette. I get about 4 weeks out of a blade, though I agree the price is stupid expensive on blades.

Moses Yoder
06-19-2014, 6:02 PM

I used a Trac-II (two blade) for decades, before finally trying one of the new 5-blade systems around 18months ago, and I could not believe how smoothly they cut my beard. I compared the gillette (Fusion) and Schick (Hydro) and found them almost equivalent, though I stuck with the gillette. I get about 4 weeks out of a blade, though I agree the price is stupid expensive on blades.

The Schick Hydro is the one I am using currently and not liking. I am completely bald but very hairy, if you can comprehend that. My beard hair grows in fast and thick and I generally only take the time to shave twice a week. I do not have to be presentable at my job, I'm a woodworker. The 5 blade Hydro has the blades spaced too close together for my hair, especially as long as it gets between shaves, and it takes multitudes of strokes to cut a swath. Then you have to try and wash the hair out; good luck with that. If I can't get the safety razor to work well then I am going back to the Mach 3. I think I will use the safety razor regardless because I am a galoot, and we are just plain cantankerous like that. I have never been able to get an electric razor to shave my facial hair; I don't know why they don't work for me, and don't care either. I am glad they don't.

John Coloccia
06-19-2014, 6:26 PM

For people like me that have very sensitive skin, and a very rough beard, shaving with a 5 blades is absolute murder on your skin. Number one, you're scraping your skin 5 times, and number two, the blades get clogged after the first stroke and become useless. A straight razor does a great job, but it's a pain to use. I started using my dad's old Atra II, and it works OK, but again the blades clog and the shave isn't very comfortable. The safety razor is very comfortable and never clogs. Part of the comfort is that the blades are so cheap, you could actually replace them every day if you wanted to and still come out ahead of using the fancy 5 blade razors. I replace mine every 2 or 3 shaves. I usually shave twice. Once with the grain, and once across (or against if I really want to). Because it fills up very slowly, AND there are two sides, I actually find that it's faster and more comfortable to shave twice with the safety razor than once with those awful, multi-bladed torture devices.

Mel Fulks
06-19-2014, 6:47 PM
Yep, getting a cut on your face is not the only way to get hurt shaving. Couple of times I've leaned toward mirror and pushing against sink caused socks to start sliding on floor. Use a scissor mounted mirror or wear non skid shoes.

David Weaver
06-19-2014, 6:52 PM
For people like me that have very sensitive skin, and a very rough beard, shaving with a 5 blades is absolute murder on your skin. Number one, you're scraping your skin 5 times, and number two, the blades get clogged after the first stroke and become useless. A straight razor does a great job, but it's a pain to use. I started using my dad's old Atra II, and it works OK, but again the blades clog and the shave isn't very comfortable. The safety razor is very comfortable and never clogs. Part of the comfort is that the blades are so cheap, you could actually replace them every day if you wanted to and still come out ahead of using the fancy 5 blade razors. I replace mine every 2 or 3 shaves. I usually shave twice. Once with the grain, and once across (or against if I really want to). Because it fills up very slowly, AND there are two sides, I actually find that it's faster and more comfortable to shave twice with the safety razor than once with those awful, multi-bladed torture devices.

Ditto this as someone with very sensitive skin. And any razor burn turns into a 2 or 3 day rash. The clogging multiblade razors caused me the worst razor burn of all types of razors that i've tried. Maybe it's just because they shaved closer, I don't know, but I can shave closer with a straight than anything that I've tried and get no burn, I think because I can run it against the grain and literally run the blade almost parallel to the skin. Some DEs have that kind of control, too.

Before a straight razor, every new razor caused me razor burn, and I purposely let cartridges get dull and then used them as long as I could (figure 4 to 6 months) and trusted the dullness to prevent razor burn.

Phil Stone
06-19-2014, 7:17 PM
I never understood the value of 5 blades vs. 3 (or even two, for that matter, though I've given in and switched to 3). I think the Onion had it right way ahead of time: http://www.theonion.com/articles/fuck-everything-were-doing-five-blades,11056/ .

Seriously though, can anybody think of a rationale for "more equals better" in blade count?

Moses Yoder
06-19-2014, 7:23 PM
I never understood the value of 5 blades vs. 3 (or even two, for that matter, though I've given in and switched to 3). I think the Onion had it right way ahead of time: http://www.theonion.com/articles/fuck-everything-were-doing-five-blades,11056/ .

Seriously though, can anybody think of a rationale for "more equals better" in blade count?

Yes, absolutely. If you look at the price it makes perfect sense.

Art Mulder
06-19-2014, 9:26 PM
number two, the blades get clogged after the first stroke and become useless.

Interesting... My experience is different: The gillette fusion blades are OPEN from the back, so they rinse out perfectly for me. In fact, because of that, they clog far less for me than the old Trac-II or Atra systems that I have used in the past.

The sensitive skin thing I can't argue with. And Moses, if you're not shaving every day, then I can also understand your problems.

Different strokes for different folks!! :D

Moses Yoder
06-21-2014, 5:32 AM
Love this video, Is it normal to lather and make 2 or 3 passes? My shaving brush should be here Monday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt8vCS-5uAM

John Coloccia
06-21-2014, 6:36 AM
I usually do 2.

Gary Muto
07-02-2014, 3:54 PM
It's just a matter of time until there's stickers, Cheerios and hair - everywhere.

Jim,
You described my home to a Tee.:)

I recently switched to a safety razor. It took a while to get used to the extra mass but I've adjusted. The blades stay sharper if you strop them on your palm. I've also read that it helps to dry the blade off right after use so I do that too. I've had blades stay sharp for a month easily.

David Helm
07-02-2014, 5:56 PM
What's a razor???!!

Brett Luna
07-02-2014, 6:19 PM
Is it normal to lather and make 2 or 3 passes?

A little late but...most days, I take two passes: one right-handed, one left-handed. I'll take a third if I want to feel really spiffy.

Moses Yoder
07-02-2014, 6:47 PM
I am shaving every day now with the safety razor, using gel shave cream. I am waiting for my shave bowl to get here, ordered Monday night, along with some Arco shave sticks. I have some shave soap to try but no way to soak my brush until I get the bowl. I find in videos people assume you know stuff, such as how long the brush needs to soak. The guys on the Coleman forum are also interested in vintage shaving (imagine that !) and one of them sent me a variety of about 7 different blades, 2 of each. I am currently using the 7 O'clock Platinum. My mom remembers her dad shaving with a straight razor.

John Coloccia
07-02-2014, 7:46 PM
Soak brush? After I fill the sink with hot water, I usually put the tiniest drop of shaving cream (not canned shaving cream...real cream) on the tip of the brush, dip it very lightly into the hot water, and lather up. I couldn't imagine soaking my brush. Is that something you're supposed to do? It seems crazy to me.

Moses Yoder
07-02-2014, 8:39 PM
In the above video which is kind of long but the guy has an interesting accent he says soak the brush before working up a lather with the shave soap. My dad used a brush with canned shaving cream. My stuff should be here sometime over the long weekend and hopefully I will have some time to experiment.

Moses Yoder
07-02-2014, 8:46 PM
Well I checked on my stuff and the bowl is shipping from Hong Kong delivery estimate July 25, the Arko shave sticks sometime next week. I am going to try out my shave soap and brush this weekend without them.

Rich Engelhardt
07-02-2014, 9:09 PM
I used to use an old coffee mug and a paint brush and Williams soap to work up a lather, then spread it on my face with my hands - just like the canned stuff.
Thank heaven I'm retired now and don't have to shave anymore.

LOL!
It's funny - when I was 16, I couldn't wait until my beard grew in heavy enough to need a shave more than once a week.
Now, @ 62, if I never have to shave again I'd be happy :D

David Weaver
07-03-2014, 8:03 AM
You've probably seen people using arko by now. You don't need to do anything with it other than wet your face or wet the end of the stick (not soak it) and rub it on both sides of your face quickly. It's a very lathery soap, smells a little bit like ivory soap when you use it.

As in, they'd call it a "face lathering" soap on the shave boards. there's no great way to use it in a bowl.

I think those arko sticks are only about a buck or two in the EU (or a euro or two), and are a really good soap given that.

Andrew Pitonyak
07-03-2014, 9:04 AM
I wonder if Saw Stop makes a razor.......;);)

They do indeed make a razor, and, it will keep you from cutting yourself. My biggest complaint, however, is that when when the break engages and retracts the blade, there is a large bang that typically startles the user into a "soiling" event.

Brett Luna
07-03-2014, 1:01 PM
I am shaving every day now with the safety razor, using gel shave cream. I am waiting for my shave bowl to get here, ordered Monday night, along with some Arco shave sticks. I have some shave soap to try but no way to soak my brush until I get the bowl.

Soak brush? After I fill the sink with hot water, I usually put the tiniest drop of shaving cream (not canned shaving cream...real cream) on the tip of the brush, dip it very lightly into the hot water, and lather up. I couldn't imagine soaking my brush. Is that something you're supposed to do? It seems crazy to me.

Brush soaking is a very, very common practice but it's one of those things that is largely a matter of preference, rather than a rule. Many folks believe it helps the brush build and hold a lather better. It could also be entrenched in shaving lore from the days when gramps might have been more likely to have a boar brush, rather than badger and soaking was a way to soften the scratchiness. I think it also makes some sense if you're after a hot lather. If you use a cold, dry (or just wetted) brush, thermodynamics suggests that some of that lathery heat will be wasted on heating the brush, rather than your face.

I find that soaking the brush is the most help in lathering a cake. I do think I can build a better lather more quickly with it. The difference isn't so pronounced when I'm using a cream but I do it anyway since it's a ritual for me now. I use a shaving scuttle (from Dirty Bird Pottery (http://www.dirtybirdpottery.com/shavinggear.html)) so I soak my brush while the scuttle is filled with hot water to preheat it while I'm showering.

John Coloccia
07-03-2014, 5:23 PM
IMHO, the best lather is the least lathery/fluffy. The fluffier and bubblier it is, the less actually contacts the skin, where you need it. I've found that the best lather is when I use very little water and get a thick, almost creamy, layer on my beard. These days I use just a drop of cream on the brush, and then it's onto the shaving soap. I get great results like that and it takes very little water.

Brett Luna
07-03-2014, 6:40 PM
I look for a happy medium between the extremes of fluffy stiff peaks and dripping wet because neither does a particularly good job of lubrication. I shoot for a moist, creamy lather that will hold a soft peak (if it doesn't, it's too wet) and rinses off the blade easily (if it doesn't, it's too dry). A bubblier lather needs more lathering until the bubbles are minutely fine.

YMMV depending on the cake/cream/stick that you use.

Rod Sheridan
07-04-2014, 9:12 AM
I've switched to a Merkur safety razor and couldn't be happier. I'm still trying to find the right assortment of stuff to apply in addition, but I'm already well ahead of the multi blade junk selling.

Cody, I have a Merkur for travel and a vintage razor at home.

It's funny how much better I find the 100 year old technology than the new plastic multiblade disposable razors...........Rod.

Todd Willhoit
07-15-2014, 9:54 PM
Thanks guys for some really interesting reading. It got me interested in trying out my grandpa's old Gillette Super Speed. As far as I have been able to determine, it is a '48-'50 notched Super Speed with no date code. It looks exactly like the on in the attached picture, less the blue wrapped blades. I also have two small blade boxes.

I found some Astra blades and Cremo Cream (Thanks David and John!) and gave it a go. It definitely takes some getting used to compared to the Gillette plastic twin blade disposables or the Sensor Excel, but I like not spending $25 on a pack of refill cartridges. It is a little more difficult to navigate the jaw line, and I've had a little razor burn. Otherwise, it feels like I am getting a closer shave.

Todd

Justin Ludwig
07-15-2014, 11:25 PM
I get some crazy looks when on drill or orders and shave next to other Soldiers in the latrine because I don't use a cream or any shave gel. I haven't used any since 98 when I was broke and couldn't afford it. I didn't notice a difference so I haven't used it since. It's not because I don't have a dense facial hair set, I could rival the Duck Dynasty boys if I grew it out.

I use the Gillette Fusion. I thought the blades were expensive until I did the math on how long they last me. I paid $40 last November at Sam's Club for a 20 pack and still have half of them left, plus my wife uses them to shave her hairy legs. The cost is nil, IME.

Todd Willhoit
10-17-2016, 11:00 PM
I'll revive this one to report on an experiment. I've used Astra blades and Cremo Cream for the last year. I am probably more slightly stingy than most in the quantity of cream and the length of time I use a blade. In any case, I spent $11 on shaving in the last 12 months. Three cents per day. Can't beat that with a stick.