PDA

View Full Version : Tricks for tightening up friction fit lids

Dave Dula
06-17-2014, 9:56 AM
Was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for helping tighten up a friction fit lid.

I made this little acorn box and when I was finished the lid fit fine but this morning it has loosened up some. My usually technique would be to add a little saw dust and glue to the tenon.

I still have to oil, buff and wax the piece so that might help or make it worse (it doesn't fall open but it is close now)

But I was wondering if anybody had some more sophisticated solutions

Thanks
Dave Dula

John Keeton
06-17-2014, 10:39 AM
Dave, you don't list your location, but keep in mind that seasonal changes are going to present challenges to any friction fit turning. In most areas the winter will cause shrinkage due to the lower humidity. Looks like you used maple?? and walnut. They may also react differently to ambient changes.

For a temporary fix, I would wait a few days and consider a coat of WOP. You can still rub it back to where it isn't noticeable, but it will close the gap more than you think.

I always have to think about just the opposite - making sure I allow for application of finish and expansion of lids during seasonal changes. Hard to have it right every day of the year!!

Tom Borener
06-17-2014, 12:09 PM
Dave, I have found that adding oil on the inside of the piece will cause the lid to fit tighter, so try that first. A lot of my boxes I make so they do not have much friction at all, but with acorns, you need the bit of friction to keep them on while they are reclining, a bit of clear nail polish will take up the gap.

Peter Fabricius
06-17-2014, 4:15 PM
Hi Dave,
You can just run a small amount of CA inside the Lid mortise. Make sure it cures before testing the fit!
DAMHIKT. The CA can be rubbed back a little to take the shine away and it will not be noticeable under the finish.
You will also find that once the piece is finished the seasonal changes almost go away.
Peter F.

Bruce Pratt
06-17-2014, 6:00 PM
Widen the gap between lid and tenon and add a strip of adhesive-backed cork around the inner circumference of the lid (where it won't show).

Dave Dula
06-19-2014, 9:33 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, cork I have but wouldn't work because there isn't much tenon. Still finishing the piece so either glue or wop